WTH??

Options
This weekend was the worst for me in terms of food. In 3 days I ate: Chinese Food, Steak + some nachos @ Applebees, 2 cookies, a slice of chocolate cake, 5 boneless wings from Applebees, 2 tacos from Jack in the Box, a mini-snickers, a reese's cup, half a s'more, potato salad, mexican rice & mole, spaghetti with pesto, eggs, 6 margaritas, 3 or 4 shots of tequila, 2 long islands, and...I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something...

Anyway, combine that with 5 days of no exercise and what do I get?? A 1.5 LB WEIGHT LOSS!

Can someone explain this to me, because I am sooooooooooooo not getting it!???

Replies

• Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I guess you should count yourself lucky ;-)
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You must have a very high metabolism. Wow!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Despite eating a lot, you still could have not eating as many calories as your body needs to maintain its weight.

With that being said, I've found that I lose the most weight when I have one day a week where I eat over what my suggested calorie intake is. Apparently it confuses the metabolism.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is faster
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    lol... be please you have a free weekend and go back to doing whats right for your body and not just the scale :)
  • brockgnd
    Options
    Lucky! Sounds like a good weekend. Consider it a gift :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    some people will experience a woosh as lye mcdonald calls it, also the alcohol has a diuretic effect which could have lead to the loss

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body needs to shake things up like that so it can burn more fat. Having an increase of calories lets the body know it won't be running out of food any time soon.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Despite eating a lot, you still could have not eating as many calories as your body needs to maintain its weight.

With that being said, I've found that I lose the most weight when I have one day a week where I eat over what my suggested calorie intake is. Apparently it confuses the metabolism.

What she said.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    lol...I would just enjoy the moment!!!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good weekend!
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Even though I lost the weight, I don't plan on eating like that again! I know it's not healthy and it made me feel gross despite the weight loss.
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Something similar just happened to me! I ate more than I usually would have (over my calories... but not too too much) and had a loss. I also took the weekend off of exercise. All I can say is I am not complaining :)
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have had weird things like that happen, then there are the more aggravating weird times, where you eat right eat right eat right, exercise and don't lose a pound. LOL! Go figure. Congrats!
  • Kelly822
    Options
    Do not be upset or surprised if you gain next week. But do not let that discourage you into having a repeat of this past week. Like many people stated, your metabolism may be high. Get back to eating healthy to keep the weigh loss up. We all know that regularly eating those kinds of food is the reason most of us are here in the first place. I am glad to hear that you lost weight this week...whatever the reason, it is pretty cool!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

What she said.

Well, not really. The metabolism doesn't "get confused". Like I briefly explained above, the body needs to have days where you eat more. Spending long periods of time eating at a calorie deficit will make your body think that it won't be getting enough food. So once in a while, even every week depending on your body, you need a day or two where you go over your maintenance amount. This lets your body know that there it will have access to enough food, so starvation/conservation mode won't start to set in. This is why so many people have success with eating more food to break a plateau.
  • starting0vern09
    starting0vern09 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I think it confuses your metabolism needs to be confused every once and a while. Just as your muscles can get used to a certain excercise and not burn as many calories, I think that your body can get used to calorie consumption as well so its ok to shake it up every once and a while. As for that icky feeling you got after all that (despite the loss) I blame it on the tequila. LOL Salud!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I do this randomly if I hit 2 weeks without losing any weight. Which was last weekend. Lots of beers, Hooters wings. I use to kick myself for it but as long as I only do it once in a while then I am ok with it
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Well, lucky you! This weekend I rode a century bike ride -- 100 miles in under 6 hours. I burned 4200 calories. I gained 4 lbs. ha!

Doesn't it take 3500 calories to equal a pound? Does that mean I ate 15000 calories more than I burned this weekend? No, after a big work out, muscles retain water (they tear down and rebuild). After such a huge event as a century, I guess I have a lot of water. I'm expecting it to drop back down in a few days.

Anyway, the same principle applies to you -- when you work out hard, typically the scale will go up the next day bc of the water retention in muscle fibers. After a rest day or 2, the scale goes back down. The food consumption kind of balances out over time -- it's not instant weight gain from eating.

enjoy it, nonetheless!

blessings.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    some people will experience a woosh as lye mcdonald calls it, also the alcohol has a diuretic effect which could have lead to the loss

^^ This along with the fact that it takes a little longer for fat gain to show up on the scale (not that we can really see our body's breakdown on a normal scale anyway). Hopefully it NOT happen for you! :smile: