Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Who uses them?

I had a $20 watch that tracked heart rate and calories, but I don't think it was accurate.

I picked up a Polar FT7 with chest strap, and it was a lot different than the tracker on the treadmill this afternoon.

Replies

• MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My numbers on the HRM are always lower (substantianlly lower) than the machines and MFP database estimates.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Been using one for 9 years. It's a basic Polar. I consider a decent HRM essential workout gear.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7 and love it. I would think that it is more accurate than the tracker on the treadmill.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My numbers on the HRM are always lower (substantianlly lower) than the machines and MFP database estimates.

same....i think the HRM with chest straps are much more accurate. as mentioned above.

I use Polar FT4. works great for cals burned and hr etc.
  • LMH1979
    Options
    What did you think about the Polar FT7? I recently purchased a wrist heart rate monitor and was not pleased.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My HRM calories are almost double what the treadmill says. The heart rate is usually with 10 bpm or so
  • Dnina1215
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor everytime I workout. It lets me know exactly how hard im working. As I became stronger I wasnt feeling winded, but my heart rate was still in the burning "zone". It proved to me that I was indeed improving and that I was on the right track. I wear it when I go on out door bike rides. It helps set the pace for the ride. A great tool to use while trying to lose weight.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's pricey. No other stand-alone timer/lap functions, but for calories and HR, its pretty good
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I use a polar FT7 as well and I love it! Plus, it is red my fav color :P
  • CRNPspinnut
    CRNPspinnut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the polar one with the strap. I think even if not completely accurate as far as calorie count it helps keep you in the range you need to be and when to slow it down a bit.
    continue using it! They do help
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I love mine - I use it to track the intensity of my workouts. I don't think that the calorie count is very accurate but it does a great job of letting me know if I really put forth an effort. The most important value (in my opinion) is the average heart rate during my workout.

I swim twice a week and it's like a Curves workout where you only get out of it what you put into it - you can just lose focus and kinda go with the motion and not burn anything. The HRM lets me SEE if I'm slacking or really pushing myself.

Remember that the calorie counts are only relevant when you're working hard -the "after-burn" might happen but it won't be what you see on the monitor.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I got the New Balance N4, and it has most of the features of the Polar for less.

When I started using it, my HRM numbers were higher than the MFP numbers, and I realized I wasn't eating enough! Now I won't work out without it!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft7 here!!! LOVE IT! I join the Polar Challenges. It makes it even better and more challenging.

Every week I burn more and more calories! It's awesome!! It keeps me motivated to say the least.