Ok to Eat Junk?

Options
So, after eating most of my meals today I still have only a net of about 600, so I am def short of my 1500 limit. So my question is, is it ok to eat crap? Not necessarily crap, but things that arent considered super healthy. For example, my roommate made mac and cheese. Would it be ok to have some, so long as im under my goal for calories, fat, sodium, etc? Or Do you guys eat all healthy every day?

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Other people would say otherwise, but I'm definitely of the, have what you want, as long as it's in moderation. The days like you're having today, I let myself splurge on what I want. But 95% of the time, I'm sticking to my healthy foods.
  • techymum
    Options
    Personally, I try to eat healthy each time food is in front of me. I've really changed my thinking, now I "think" like an athlete. I prefer to put the high octane, good fuel in this old body!

That said, you don't have enough calories to be healthy, and there are worse things than mac and cheese!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The idea of a healthy lifestyle means that you eat healthy most of the time. That does not mean you dont take time out to enjoy things which have been placed onto some imaginary "bad food" list.

If you are hungry, and you like mac and cheese, then chow down! :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Of course! We can't always deprive ourselves! :)
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I would say that if you have the extra calories and you want the mac and cheese have some or it will come back as a craving later on and you may not have the extra calories then. Enjoy every fork full!!! : )
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yes it's fine.

also what's your ht/wt that you're only shooting for 1500cals a day?
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Moderation.

Also, switch to whole wheat Mac & cheese, like Hodgson Mills. And skip the added butter.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary! It's not always pretty but I'm enjoying being on a "diet" everyday!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want :bigsmile:

We dont get fat by eating 600 cals of junk every now and again, we get fat by eating 3000 cals of junk every day!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • EricaLaurenRN
    Options
    The idea of a healthy lifestyle means that you eat healthy most of the time. That does not mean you dont take time out to enjoy things which have been placed onto some imaginary "bad food" list.

If you are hungry, and you like mac and cheese, then chow down! :)

I completely agree. I try and follow the 90% rule. 90% of the time I do everything to make sure that I'm eating really healthy, nutrient dense foods. The other 10% of the time for me is....ice cream haha. But anyway...I say hell yeah, eat the mac and cheese....and enjoy it as long as you're not eating it every time you find yourself needing to fill in the calorie gap ;)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I had over 800 calories left after breakfast, lunch and dinner... so I ate a homemade raspberry merlot truffle cupcake!

I had fruit and oatmeal for breakfast. For lunch I had a big spinach and romaine salad with cherry tomatoes, feta, and marinated sirloin steak strips and some grapes. For dinner, I had homemade chicken enchiladas, loaded with boneless chicken breast, peppers, onions, cheese, etc.

I don't feel bad at all about indulging in the cupcake. I ate healthy food all day, I had plenty of room to stay under my calorie goal and I got a tough circuit workout in - why not enjoy something that made me practically swoon with pleasure? I know some people are not fans of 'moderation' or any food that isn't 'clean', but eating like this works for me! It's easy to stick with, it works and it keeps me sane and happy. :-)
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ah Mac and cheese, it is soooo good. If you've got the calories eat it for sure. I personally wouldnt because carby high sodium food like that makes me feel crappy but otherwise, feel free.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had over 800 calories left after breakfast, lunch and dinner... so I ate a homemade raspberry merlot truffle cupcake!

That sounds beyond fantastic. I have 600 calories left for the day, and I wish I had a cupcake that sounded as delicious as that!
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9-5'10 and just logged in at 189. I had a Kashi bar and water for a quick breakfast, an early lunch, (a turkey and a little bit of cheese wrap) and a half a peanut butter sandwich with milk at like 5 before my two hour drive home. At home I had like a cup of pasta and a few tbsp of meat sauce. And I walked to and from campus today so thats about 4 miles (at about 3mph)
  • Acg67
    Options
    Im 5'9-5'10 and just logged in at 189. I had a Kashi bar and water for a quick breakfast, an early lunch, (a turkey and a little bit of cheese wrap) and a half a peanut butter sandwich with milk at like 5 before my two hour drive home. At home I had like a cup of pasta and a few tbsp of meat sauce. And I walked to and from campus today so thats about 4 miles (at about 3mph)

1500 cals seems pretty low for someone your size, you could prob be cutting on ~1850-1900cals a days and then adjust as needed
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im following what it tells me on here, for 2lbs lost a week, and so far thats pretty much what ive been averaging.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Im following what it tells me on here, for 2lbs lost a week, and so far thats pretty much what ive been averaging.

personally i'd up it to around 2,000 (20% deficit) shoot for about 1lb a week, and incorporate heavy lifting into your workouts if you don't already. Then if you plateau you can just drop cals a little, much harder to do if you're already running a huge deficit
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agreed. 1500cals for someone who is 189lbs is too large a deficit. You will be losing muscle mass (not a good thing as that lowers your BMR and therefore TDEE) which can be the cause of yoyo dieting.

I'm 170lbs and I am cutting weight eating around 2000-2300 on "rest" days and 2500-2600 on lifting days.

oh and forgot to answer the question. Definitely :smile: I follow this.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Other people would say otherwise, but I'm definitely of the, have what you want, as long as it's in moderation. The days like you're having today, I let myself splurge on what I want. But 95% of the time, I'm sticking to my healthy foods.

i am with you on this its a lifestyle change not a diet its great to eat healthy and clean all the time but i wont deprive myself for the reason i have failed in the past. its a life change but u should be able to have things in moderation
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am in the "go for it" camp. I think part of what keeps me sane is knowing I can have any food at any time. I don't always choose to do so, but heck yeah, if I had calories left and mac and cheese available, I'd be eatin' some!