Best weight loss methods

Options
So just got diagnosed prediabetic, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis in my feet. Having a lot of trouble being on them. Started eating healthy and “clean” (man is that *kitten* expensive) but looking for ways other then swimming that is light on the feet for getting more active, any suggestions?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,282 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for weight loss, it's about calories, not exercise. You can gain weight eating the healthiest food. What does eating "healthy" mean to YOU? What does eating "clean" mean to you?

Have you gone through the MFP setup to get a good calorie intake goal to aim for with a reasonable loss rate? After you do that, log honestly and completely. Try to hit your target; don't try to go way under it.

Swimming is for sure good all-body exercise. Exercise is good for fitness, and fitness is good for our overall health. For weight loss, it's calories. Other suggestions might be bicycling, but I don't know if that would be hard on your feet or not. There's a fellow in town here who doesn't have much use at all of his feet. He has a recumbent tricycle that he powers mostly with his arms. It's got to be a LOT more work than using the big muscles in your legs, but that might be an option. I don't use bands, but many people love them. Try some of those out. And for weight loss, set a good calorie goal and stick to it.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 484 Member
    edited January 12
    Options
    online chair exercise videos... there is a wide variety, including some with seated aerobic boxing movement
  • mrBLOB84
    mrBLOB84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes have set up MFP all the way, eating more fruits and vegetables with a lot less meat as well as cutting back carbs. Thanks for the insight brother 👍. Targeting about a pound a week for lbs to lose. I believe my calorie intake is about 1600 for my target weight which is 240. I’m currently about 300
  • mrBLOB84
    mrBLOB84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Correction 2470 is daily calorie count 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    Sooo . . . what it it about your new eating routine that's more expensive? (I know that's not what you asked about. Apologies, I'm a busybody.)

People mean a lot of different things when they use the term "eating clean". Some of those meanings are, well, tangential to actual good nutrition.

Getting actual good nutrition shouldn't be dramatically more expensive than getting poor nutrition, especially if the latter involved a lot of fast food, snack food, soda pop, etc. Those things are expensive, and not filling!

Some fruits and veggies are expensive, but not all. Eating less meat IME is less expensive, usually. (Eating less meat isn't necessarily healthier, either, and I say that as someone who's been happily vegetarian for almost 50 years. Some meats/fish are quite healthy; IMO for sure it's good to eat plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits, too.) Carbs aren't evil, especially not when they come from foods like veggies, fruits, whole grains, no-sugar-added dairy foods.

Frozen veggies and fruits can actually be healthier than fresh ones, and cheaper. (That's because they're frozen at peak freshness soon after harvest, instead of being shipped all over the world for days, with nutrients degrading along the way.) Even canned fruits/veggies can be very healthy, for the same reason.

Best wishes!

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Agree, prices on real food are shocking... helps to shop sales/stock up.

Have you ever tracked how much junk food/eating out costs? Also shocking.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    Personally to deal with my pre-diabetic HbA1C I went Keto leaning more toward meat based, so Ketovore. It dealt with my blood sugar in a matter of a month, and now my A1C is normal. Lots of weight lost, and I have lots of energy. My blood pressure is down and I am off all but one med for it. I could likely stop that one as well, and will in time I am sure. That was unexpected for me. Other unexpected benefits were a huge reduction in knee pain, no more sensative teeth, and by a month in my sweet cravings went away. They came back when I ate freely on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, but I still had no issues getting back to how I ate right away, and the cravings for sweets have diminished as well. Better yet, my blood sugar stayed stable even with two days when I indulged. Yes, Keto is not for everyone, but for me it has worked immensely well to help me stick to my calorie goal for almost 9 months now.