When do you work out?

Options
Some say its best to work out in the morning? Do you work out in the morning? If not when do you work out?? Why do you think the time you work out is the best??

Replies

• tess54
    Options
    I go directly to the gym after work every day. It keeps me focused and motivated. I have lost 72 lbs to date and have learned to really enjoy working out.
  • sweets2001
    Options
    I like to workout in the morning. Seems to work best for me because once I start doing other thngs that need to be done last thing I want to do is go workout.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I workout at 5 am some days and 10 pm others

Just do it when it is most convenient. Time isnt very important
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It just depends. If you're the type of person who might put off exercising all day until the day is over (like me, haha), it's best to work out in the morning. Just get it over and done with before you even have time to think about it, y'know? But if I was less of a procrastinator I'd probably do it in the afternoon/early evening since my energy levels are usually higher then.

As far as which is better, I don't think it really makes a difference. Just depends on whatever works best for each individual I think!
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    For me, I mix it up, since I work both evenings and days. During my day shifts, I get my workouts in after work and for my evening shifts, I get them in before work! Whatever works for you. :):flowerforyou:
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    i try to work out either before or after work! it all just depends on my schedule. and it all works out either way at the end of the day
  • lil_sunshine085
    Options
    I usually do my strength workouts in the morning and then do cardio when I get home from work. This seems to work best for me, spacing it out throughout the day makes it easier for me. Plus with doing my strength training in the morning, I am still burning those calories at work! :-)
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i work out as soon as i get home from work...i always say im gonna get up and workout but that never happens, lol
  • linedawg
    Options
    I work out any time I can get a chance, between work and family I have to play it by ear. But it seems like I do most of my work outs in the evening.
  • ginurse_amy
    Options
    I go as soon as I get home from work and change my clothes. I'm usually there from 6:30 or so to approx 7:45 or later depending.I do my 60 minutes on the elliptical then 15-25 sit ups and weight machines then I'm out.It works for me. No won the weekends I either go first thing in the morning or in the late afternoons 3-5pm depending on what else I got going on.
  • kldevore
    Options
    I work out after work which often is between 8-10 pm. I know it's not great to work out so late but I've never been a morning person and even at my peak morning practices alwas felt like and probably looked like I was in molasses. This doesn't include the exhausted feeling i have for the rest of the day constantly wishing for a 3 hr nap. I wish I was one of those people who could get up at 5 or 7 workout and feel great but I'll stick to my evening workouts.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think the best time to workout is when you have time! Sure, in a perfect world we'd all be able to workout at the same time...

If i have my choice, I like mornings. Why? Because it's out of the way! I can do so before showering and then shower and get ready for my day. Also, it allows me time for breakfast and then for my food to settle and to catch up online or emailing of MFP! :)

When I'm done with my workout I have the feeling of accomplishment ALL DAY LONG! Then, at night if I want to go on a walk, it's just extra...

Sooo- workout when you can! I have heard you should workout in the morning to lose more weight, but again- just do what works! ;P
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it in the morning and I am going to add two evening Zumba classes.
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get a "schedule" going && I really want to work out in the morning...because I can get it done & when i do work out in the morning I feel like the rest of the day I'm really productive!!! :) Hmm.... I think this is a change I need to make!
  • stephgreene
    Options
    I prefer to work out early on, just because it gets it out of the way and then I don't have to think about it again for the rest of the day!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning, for a few reasons:
    - it gets me going and gives me more energy to get through my day
    - my husband starts work early so I'm awake early anyway. If I don't go for a run I just go back to bed and laze around.
    - it's too easy to change my mind at the end of the day
    - I want to spend my evening with my husband - cooking,organising for the next day and relaxing. I don't want to spend this time exercising on my own.
    - in summer it's too hot to run in the afternoon/evening and in winter its too dark.

So, for me, morning is best!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with a DVD, and we only have one tv. Plus I'm a morning person, but also a procrastinator - if I don't do it first thing (usually before I take my daughter to school, so I start by 6:30am), it generally doesn't get done at all. One hubby is up, I don't want to monopolize the tv/living room, I get sidetracked with talking, tv, computer, breakfast, etc, etc,. And I like to have it done, get my shower and get on with my day - I find I get more done this way.

But like everyone said - it's whatever works best for you!
  • rogar28
    rogar28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Before noon on MWF, and after 2 T and TR. Weekends I just go whenever I want. If there is a game Sunday I go to the gym and watch it on the TV while doing an elliptical or something.
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning. This works best with my work schedule. I usually eat a very light breakfast and then run or do weights and then have a protein shake immediately following the workout. I also feel like I continue to burn calories through the whole day because my metabolism is raised.
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do my workout DVDs at night (about 11pm) before bed. And I find I do them better then as opposed to when I do them in the morning. But I'm not really a morning person :)

If I'm working out outside ie running I go around lunch time before I start work at 3.30 :)

People have told me it's better to work out in the morning but I don't think it matters too much, whatever works for you.

:)