Hair loss

Options
Hello all. I recently read an article about hair loss with weight loss and just wondered for those of you that have lost 50 lbs + did you notice a significant hair loss. TIA

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Maggiem51 wrote: »
    Hello all. I recently read an article about hair loss with weight loss and just wondered for those of you that have lost 50 lbs + did you notice a significant hair loss. TIA

Hair loss after weight loss is often a temporary condition that occurs when a person loses weight through restrictive dieting or weight loss surgery. Stress on the body or nutrient deficiencies may be the cause. This type of hair loss is generally known as telogen effluvium, and it is a common cause of hair loss, says medical news today.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,936 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    Yes. I lost 60 pounds fairly slowly years ago, ate healthy, exercised, but definitely not excessively. My hair was shiny, thick and healthy.
    Early 2023 I got sick, barely ate, lost 30 pounds quickly. My hair fell out, my skin looked like an alligator purse and fell off, I was tired all the time. It wasn't a good thing. Don't lose too quickly, even if you can. Stay healthy!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    The "solar panel" on top of my head started showing up LONG before I ever thought about losing weight.

Hair and nails are protein, so if you are chronically low on protein, your nails can crack and your hair can split and probably thin. Picking back up a healthy diet may or may not help. It won't help me. I wear a hat in summer to protect from sun and other times to protect from cold and rain.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    Lost weight. Invested in good store bought hair. :D
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Lost weight. Invested in good store bought hair. :D

I have a wig I wear on Halloween sometimes. If that were my actual hair, even if it were still gray/white, I'd be pretty pleased. It's damn hot to wear it though. I don't know how people do it, but some do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I'm F, 68. My hair has been thinning as I age, maybe a little bit faster since it grew long during the pandemic. (The weight of the hair causes more breakage; the tangles contribute, too.) It's more a familial thing, though, I think, in my case: My mother's hair got somewhat thin, and she stayed at a pretty steady weight (not super slim, either).

I didn't particularly notice hair loss associated with weight loss (50-some pounds), except maybe a bit after I accidentally lost too fast at first (because it turns out I need more calories than MFP estimates). I did and do make it a point to get good nutrition, including adequate protein.

I strongly suspect that fast loss and poor nutrition will cause or accelerate hair breakage/loss. Those can also have other negative consequences, so I'd recommend sensibly moderate loss rate, and good nutrition for sure.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    66 year old female here. i also suspect that hair loss - and other things - during weight loss is due to poor nutrition - not enough calories or protein or nutrients.

btw, i was losing hair while my weight and blood sugar were high. now it's normal, my hair loss has stopped.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    I lose hair (extra shedding) even after I lose 10 lb. Typically it’s when I return to maintenance calories. Dermatologist has told me it’s normal and from the stress the body felt when in a deficit. Dermatologist did NOT tell me it was because I was doing something wrong or malnourished.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    I lost a lot of hair during the initial part of my weight loss when I was trying to eat at 1200 and not getting particularly good nutrition. It was alarming. It didn't happen at first, it took about 3-4 months for me to notice.

Since I've been in maintenance (15+ years now) my hair has been really healthy.

I disagree with this, though:
    The weight of the hair causes more breakage; the tangles contribute, too.
    I'm the same age - I've had long hair for most of my life. Middle of my back. I don't think the "weight" of it causes breakage. If that were true, no one would be able to have a full head of long hair, and I know many (older) women with long hair. I think it's more about genetics, aging, and nutrition. Can't prove it...but I don't believe that quote.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of hair during the initial part of my weight loss when I was trying to eat at 1200 and not getting particularly good nutrition. It was alarming. It didn't happen at first, it took about 3-4 months for me to notice.

Since I've been in maintenance (15+ years now) my hair has been really healthy.

I disagree with this, though:
    The weight of the hair causes more breakage; the tangles contribute, too.
    I'm the same age - I've had long hair for most of my life. Middle of my back. I don't think the "weight" of it causes breakage. If that were true, no one would be able to have a full head of long hair, and I know many (older) women with long hair. I think it's more about genetics, aging, and nutrition. Can't prove it...but I don't believe that quote.

I was literally saying what my own personal hair does, in that sentence you quoted.

Maybe it's because it's very fine hair, don't know. But when it's long, I get all kinds of shorter flyaways because it breaks off. I've worn it long the majority of my life, too. It never has been willing to grow past my shoulder blades, and the hair is less dense towards the end, i.e. braid quickly gets skinnier along its length.

And then I said I thought it was familial, i.e. genetics, not weight loss. After earlier saying it was an aging thing.

That was not a prediction about anyone else's hair, which I'd hoped was clear from the full post.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I don't know how people do it, but some do.

I realized several years ago that rich women never have bad hair. Pretty much every woman I work with has a little extra extra. ;) I was late to the party, but now love "doing my hair" in under five minutes. Best of all, I never have a bad hair day.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    Maggiem51 wrote: »

Nope.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    I’m unbelievably lazy. I keep mine so short all I have to do is run my fingers through it after a shower or swim and I’m good to go.

I lost a lot of weight, comparatively quickly at first, but had good nutrition throughout and never went below about 1500/day at any point, and that was only for a couple months.

No hair loss here.

Now my dog, OTOH, has beautiful long silky tail feathers, and leaves them all over the place. I'm 100% sure if asked, he’d tell me he’s underfed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, hair loss is often associated with VLCD (very low calorie diets).

If you put “hair loss” in the search bar, you’ll get all kinds of cautionary tales direct from members who lost hair and had other health issues because they wanted to lose weight fast.

Fast weight loss can bite you in the bottom in so many ways- hair loss, heart issues, muscle loss, not to mention those who lose fast typically regain just as quickly.

Tortoise and the hare, once again.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My hair started thinning about 4-5 months into weight loss. I was only losing a pound a week or less, so I was certainly not going too fast. I was paying very close attention to protein as well. However I found out I was close to becoming anemic. Within a month of starting a multivitamin, the hair loss slowed back to normal and a bunch of baby hairs grew in. I stopped the vitamin when I started maintenance.

My hair has never gotten back to its original thickness. Could be normal aging, could be the weight loss, could be both.

Now I’m losing weight again. I started taking the vitamin again as soon as I started calorie restricting. I eat a highly nutritious diet, but I’m not taking chances this time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    In my 30's I lost over 50 pounds with no hair loss. I lost it very slowly.

When I was anemic I had hair loss. Iron and other deficiencies can cause hair loss. I suggest having blood tests for deficiencies done rather than supplement with iron, as too much can be problematic as well. I'm deficient in D in the colder months but not in the warmer months, so I only take it late fall - early spring.

Rapid weight loss is one way to increase the odds of deficiencies. Here's a suggested rate of loss:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg