30 day shred making my legs look bigger... I don't want that

Options
Before anything, I understand that it's muscle that's making my legs bigger. I just want to find a way to slim them down, but still have as much muscle as I have now. Does that make sense?

I started the 30 day shred 11 days ago, and I just finished level 1 today. I'm doing each level for 10 days (with one rest day), and tomorrow I'm starting level 2.

I feel awesome and so much stronger. I can do multiple squats and push-ups without resting already, which is something I couldn't do before. But the downside is the fact that my thighs have gotten so much bigger. It's really bittersweet to see - I love how strong my legs are getting, but I don't want them getting bigger and bulkier...
'I eat a healthy diet for the most part, so I don't see what's happening.

How can I slim my thighs down but keep the muscle? I'm really frustrated by this.

Replies

• dreeminbigg
    Options
    Oh! And before I started the shred, I weighed 144. I haven't bothered to weigh myself since I started, I was going to wait until I fully finished the 30 day shred.

I know I probably gained weight...
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Are you eathing at a deficit? It is virtually impossible to gain muscle at a deficite. Did you use the tape to take your mesurement? It might be all a question of perception
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    I eat around the amount that MFP suggests.
    My sister pointed out that my legs are a little bit bigger, too.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Are they actually bigger or do they just look it.
    Because when I did the 30DS I thought my legs were getting bigger.. I had actually lost a couple inches in my legs.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    They definitely look bigger IMO. Even on a side view.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    exercise can change the shape of our bodies. your legs may be bigger in one area but in others they may have shrunk. hopefully you took some measurements to compare. but trust me, as women our muscle mass won't make us huge so it's probably just that they are changing and you can't remember what they used to look like
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Are you eathing at a deficit? It is virtually impossible to gain muscle at a deficite. Did you use the tape to take your mesurement? It might be all a question of perception

^^^this.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That happened with my arms one time and I did not like the look at all!
  • computerwizsheri
    Options
    Are you using heavier weights? Heavier weights will build larger muscles and smaller weights will tone (at least that's what a 24-hour fitness trainer told me).
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    So should I just continue with 30DS?
  • annikasmom
    Options
    I agree that you should measure them to see if they're really getting bigger. Even if they are, my suggestion is to keep going with the workout and don't change anything. The higher muscle mass will help you burn more calories during the 30 days. After you finish the 30 days, you can switch to another type of workout that will gradually let your leg muscles slim down (like pilates or yoga), but make sure to really watch your calories at that point.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. For the first 6-7 days that I started the 30DS, I would go walking/running for almost an hour right after I finished it, and I was completely exhausted. On top of that, because of school, that was the only time I could go walking.

I was just thinking of finishing this, then going to yoga/pilates, walking daily and incorporating a few strength training exercises here and there.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    computerwizsheri- No I'm not :/