Fat burning zone

Options
Hey all MFP'ers

For those who know this, great, but for those who are starting out or have questions about fat burning zones...check out this site I found... http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

Have fun and stay safe

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This video perfectly explains the myth of the fat burning zone. 3 minutes, and it makes it really clear!

http://blip.tv/thrivepersonalfitness/fat-burning-zone-thrive-personal-fitness-episode-14-4046072

Yes, the "zone" has a higher % of calories from fat, but the higher intensity, despite having a lower %, comes out at more calories lost from fat overall.

Not saying the original post is wrong, just many people make the choice to stay in their zone as they believe it burns more calories then going above it.

Also, I'd love to know what they actually mean by Max heart rate. It is the max your heart can physically manage, or is it simply what you SHOULD not go over? The old addage of 220-age doesnt add up for me. Im 35, so it should be 185, but ive been up to 188 on many occasions!
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's wishful thinking to exercise at such a low intensity and expect to melt away fat.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    thanks i am going to check it out, I am exicted to see if what i was taught is now all wrong lol
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    So what's the point of some of the polar hrm? Some tell you if you want to burn fat to stay on the lower zone and for better fitness to stay in the higher zone. Surely this info above renders them useless,
  • andersoketawm
    Options
    Chef970,Thanks for the info on the site....I really learned some things considering that I just started my journey. I have read and viewed a lot of your posts and find them extremely helpful. No matter what anyone else says, your help is much appreciated, Thankx sooo much

Keta
  • brockgnd
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Makes sense now :)