Varicose Veins...........the destroyer of a perfect physique

Options
So a former client of mine finally reached her goal and she smoking hot looking now. But I noticed she never ever wore any shorts to the gym, even on hot days. I ran into her today and complimented her on how she's progressed and she thanked me for all the help and tips I gave her while she worked out with me (I trained her for 2 months). So I asked her why she doesn't show off her legs since I know they look as good as her upper body and she shamefully told me she had varicose veins brought on by pregnancy. I said they can't look that bad, and she went an pulled up her sweats and showed me the back of her calf. And yes, she was right, her calves were shaped really nice, but the varicose veins took all that away.
I know that being overweight and being sedentary can contribute to varicose veins, so this is another good reason to start exercising and losing weight.
If you plan to get pregnant, get your abs strong to keep pressure off and from getting them.

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately a lot of it is genetic. I'm only 30, have never been pregnant, have never been overweight as defined by BMI, and am fairly active. And I am *still* getting varicose veins. I plan to have them treated before I'm 40.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You can have them pulled inside out. I hope she will be able to have them removed.

I have been preggo 6 times and never got them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My mom got her's before she had kids and she wasn't overweight.
  • MomsDumpling
    MomsDumpling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I inherited mine and have had them stripped out once (21 years ago) and they returned so I tried "vein collapsing".....a not so nice procedure that didn't work about eight years ago so I'm keeping them. If you have gorgeous legs, consider yourself lucky!
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    Yes they suck! I have them not horribly bad, just one large one going done my right leg from groin to knee (front side) they are hereditary too (my mother had them too), but being overweight (which I was) and on your feet for extended hours (I was and still am) are even bigger contributors... also wearing heels, and crossing your legs can make them worse...

I just recently started taking Horse Chestnut seed extract--it's been shown to reduce inflammation associated with varicose veins and stimulate regeneration of damaged veins... unfortunately I've only been taking it a few days and can't comment on whether I've seen improvement or not.

Purple grapes are beneficial too because of the compounds in their seeds, which improve the support structure of vein walls.. and if you are into juicing--blackberry, blueberry, cherry and raspberry juices are supposed to be good as well to strengthen veins and increase the muscular tone of veins due to the anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins in the juice. Pineapple juice contains bromelain, which can help prevent the formation of hard, lumpy skin that can form around varicose veins.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I know people are self conscious about these kinds of things, and I think I understand it, but I just want to tell everyone reading this that I don't care if you have vericose veins or not! I'm going to think you look amazing and look up to your rockin' bods either way. If that helps at all. :D
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people who buy horse chestnut monthly at work.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    For you folks that know stuff about V.V., can you tell me if they go away on their own.. I remember having some on my thighs when I was at my highest weight and most unhealthy status (also worked on my feet) but after reading this thread I looked for them and it appears they've gone away.

hmmmm... wild.
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    For you folks that know stuff about V.V., can you tell me if they go away on their own.. I remember having some on my thighs when I was at my highest weight and most unhealthy status (also worked on my feet) but after reading this thread I looked for them and it appears they've gone away.

hmmmm... wild.

they do improve with exercise and weight loss--mine haven't gone away, in fact the large one in my leg I mentioned in my earlier post seems to stick out farther the more weight and more muscular I get--i think it may depend on how bad you have them.. if yours went away that's great!
  • infamousmk
    Options

hmmmm... wild.

they do improve with exercise and weight loss--mine haven't gone away, in fact the large one in my leg I mentioned in my earlier post seems to stick out farther the more weight and more muscular I get--i think it may depend on how bad you have them.. if yours went away that's great!

They weren't terribly bad, and I am about 50 pounds lighter than I was when I had them... and that was like 10 years ago. I hope yours clear up too!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have 'em to. 44, have never been obese (20ish pounds too heavy at my worst), and no kids. I seem to have them only in certain areas - the more fat I lose, the more those puppies stick out! They're not so bad that small children would run away screaming, but I am pretty self conscious of them. :sad:

I've thought about looking into having them stripped or whatever - but I would only be able to afford that if it were covered by insurance. I've also considered looking into supplements. Horse Chestnut...hmmm....
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I know people are self conscious about these kinds of things, and I think I understand it, but I just want to tell everyone reading this that I don't care if you have vericose veins or not! I'm going to think you look amazing and look up to your rockin' bods either way. If that helps at all. :D

^^Yes. Agreed. ;)