plateauing after bariatric surgery???

Options
has anyone had a quick plateau after gastric bypass? how quickly? how long did it last? i had my sugery a little over two months ago and have lost wieght daily since...and now i have held steady for the last 3-4 days! i dont want to think that this is it...obviously! help, advice and opinions accepted!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of people that have had the surgery. Have you started any type of exercise program? Also, are the foods that you're able to eat very nutritionally dense? Your metabolism may be very low right now.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Relax... have your food/liquid intake changed at all in the last few days? If not, there is no reason to worry about the scale not moving for 3-4 days. You would likely not hit an extended plateau this soon in, however it is possible to hit mini-ones along the way. If the scale is stressing you out, put it away for one week and weigh yourself then. Congrats on your amazing accomplishment thus far!
  • blkericia
    blkericia Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    it is common to stop losing for a short time. try to change up your exercise or eating plan. and stay away from the scale. even know you mite not be losing weight that the scale can see, you could be losing fat and gaining muscle. i have had surgery and in my 2nd month i had a stall.
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I had a client and a friend in the same boat. They had to be careful of muscle waisting.

I use a shake that has mega nutrients and protein in it that helps support the muscle and immune system and such.

Maybe that would be helpful to you.

It helped my client and my friends stabalize, gave them energy and they were able to exercise so much better and they had better digestion.

Hope that helps.

Nyla
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am a year out. I have always had small plateaus here and there but nothing to freak out about. I can sometimes go up 2 weeks with out losing and then BAM 2 lbs gone or so. Make sure you drink as much fluid as you can water is key! Also make sure you exercise you will have better results! I am still losing I have lost a 121 lbs so far! Any questions feel free to message me!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Nyla makes a good point, protein is essential. I am sure you know this, but its easy to forget just how important it is, especially in the months post-surgery. Make sure you get every gram of protein and beyond.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much for your thoughts. yes i do excercise daily, areobics and/or walking/jogging. i have arthritis and fibromyalgia, so i am cautious as to what excercises i do, but i do excercise daily. also, protein goal is 60mg, of course with very little food intake, i often supplement with bariatric advantage protein shakes or unjury protein shakes. i do struggle to get enough fluids in, but i am stratagizing on how to up the intake. again, thank you all so much, i love the support you get on this site! btw, i am walking from 1.5-6 miles a day.
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I wanted to add, it is vital to be able to check your composition. Weight loss is a good thing but if you are loosing muscle and not fat, that is traggic.

I had a prospective client come to me for a training program about 6 years ago and she lost like 87 pounds in like 3 months or so!!!! But guess what, it was primarily lean mass not fat!

You need to make sure that you are taking in appropriate quality calories just for your organs and body to function. If the caloric intake is less, then physiologically speaking, your body will pull from the lean mass and not the fat cell because it knows it is in starvation mode.

Most docs do not educate patients on this mostly because they don't have the education.

There are many quality protein supplements out there (even if they are engineered) that will help the muscle retention.

Why is muscle retention important? Because if you lose muscle mass, you lose strength, lower your metabolism and prompt the body to continue to hold onto the fat.

The final answer for the past potention client who lost mostly lean mass and not fat was that I could not accept her into my training program because it would have continued to enable her to get sick and lose more lean mass as the amount of energy needed to endure a training program would not be supported by what she could take in calorically. The sad thing was that she was in such an upside down situation, she just continued to get sick and to this day, I do not know what happened. Last I heard she could not keep the protein down, the very thing she needed nutritionally to keep from muscle waisting.

Nyla
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    Options
    Your progress thus far has been nothing short of amazing. I think a 3-4 day stretch of plateauing does not seem like anything to be too too concerned about.
  • shanchamber
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think that's a plateau. I'm a month out from RNY surgery, and I've only lost about 35 lbs., compared to your...what, nearly 150? I started at a lower BMI, but still. In my third week after surgery, I didn't lose anything, according to the scale. But the next week, sure enough, 5 lbs. came off. It happens in fits and starts for most people. You lose a bunch of weight, your body adjusts. Try not weighing yourself every day from now on. My surgeon said to weigh myself once a month, on the anniversary of the surgery. Small, day-to-day fluctuations are normal, especially when you start getting to lower body weights, and especially for women of childbearing age.