new experiences

Options
Hello everyone I'm new to this app. I'm really wanting to turn my life around and feel better about myself. I have ideas for the three meals we need for each day but what about snacks? What would your opinion be on different snacks to eat on a daily basis? And what time is best to eat a snack?

Replies

• stephiken
    stephiken Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have given up on snacks. Every now and then I might have a snack but rarely. I prefer to save my calories for my meals so I can have larger meals.

However, in my opinion, the best snacks are Vegetables! Especially low calorie veggies. Baby carrots, celery, broccoli, sliced peppers. I would try to avoid dipping them in some kind of high calorie sauce or dip like ranch, and try to enjoy the taste of the natural veggie. Yumm.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Eating 3 meals a day plus snacks is a construct. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full which works out generally to twice a day and I snack rarely. One person here said they eat 9 times a day so it's an individual choice. Play around with that and hopefully a particular choice will feel more natural which generally will help with adherence and enjoyment.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don’t snack anymore but rarely. I try to add more vegetables and lean protein to my meals. When I have the rare snack, it would be an apple, plain skyr, or small serving of nuts. I would recommend weighing nuts because it is so easy to overdo calories on nuts.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    when do YOU tend to need a snack? there’s no “best time”
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    There is no one best solution that applies to everyone. It's individual.

Experiment, log your eating/activity, see what combinations keep you reasonably full and satisfied the majority of the time, plus add up to the right calorie level and give you reasonable overall nutrition, at a reasonable cost (in both time and money).

People here report doing best on anything from one meal a day (OMAD) to all-day grazing on small amounts of food at a time, and everything in between.

I eat 2 to 3 meals most days, once in a while 4, sometimes have snacks (if I start feeling crave-y when a meal isn't coming up soon). My snacks are usually protein-y things like crispy broad beans, string cheese or other calorie efficient cheese, dry-roasted soybeans, etc., because I find protein filling, and because I'm vegetarian so need to be smart about getting enough. Your mileage will vary, because you're not me.

Best wishes!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Eat however you like as long as you stick with a good calorie goal. I currently eat 3 meals a day plus 3-4 small bites/snacks and this is what keeps me happy. Note, for me snacks are something like a labne ball, gouda, a piece of fruit or similar things.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Ack! Life without snacks is a life of misery and a total recipe for failure!!!!

I’m a grazer and I accept that and build it into my diary.

Pre-log your diary. If you need snacks, put em in and Tetris it until you are at your calorie goal.

My diary is open. You’ll see at least four, usually six snacks through my day Today is a Nugo bar, cottage cheese topped with frozen blueberries, meringue cookies, a one-ingredient homemade pineapple sorbet, and a protein smoothie, which I may substitute for something like popcorn, because my protein is actually too high today.

But otoh, I’m dying to try the new Nugo protein powder that just came in the mail, so the bar may come out instead.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Best time to eat a snack? When you, in your own experience, anticipate being peckish.