Nursing mom... Losing my hair- eek!

Options
My 3rd child is 4 months old and I am a nursing mom. At this rate, I'm going to be a "bald" mom soon! Help!
I do take vutamins and eat a pretty balanced diet. Anyone have a safe homeopathic way to stop this? I had the same issues while nursing my other kiddos, but I don't recall it being this bad (but I wasn't counting calories then either).

Sooo... Whatcha got? :)

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Hair loss after having a baby is normal to a degree. You don't lose nearly as much as normal during the pregnancy, then after you have the baby and your hormones change all of a sudden all that hair that your body was holding onto starts falling out! It's freakish but usually normal. You do definitely need to make sure you're taking care of yourself and getting good nutrition. If you are really concerned that maybe it's too much to be normal, you could always go to your PCP and have them check your levels for things like thyroid issues. After my first baby my thyroid levels were 'off' for a little over 6 months but then regulated back to normal. Your dr should be able to give you a good idea of where what you are experiencing is normal or the result of a problem that needs to be addressed.
  • njoithomp
    Options
    take biotin. it worked for my aunt who went through chemo; she didn't loose all of her hair.
  • sarkris
    Options
    First off - are you sure that this hairloss isn't just the result of having had a baby? Your hair grows like crazy and often gets thicker when you are pregnant and after giving birth - you shed. If this hairloss seems more than normal post partum shedding - are you sure you are consuming enough cals and protein? Nursing can take a lot out of you!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    It's pretty normal. :) During pregnancy, your hair doesn't follow its normal life cycle (which is why our hair gets so thick and full during pregnancy). Afterward, it plays catch up. Feels like a lot, but it isn't really.

Make sure you are taking your vitamins and eating sufficient calories, and all should be okay. :)
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A B vitamin complex can help too. Your local health shop may have some specifically for hair. Plus there are shampoos and conditioners with the B's in them that can help
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Is Biotin safe while nursing?
    I eat an extra 500 calories each day so I think I am good there and I meet/exceed my protein goals...
    I have fine hair anyway... So the 10 stuck to my hands as I wrung out my wet hair was alarming...
    I'll look into B vitamins!
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I lost a lot of hair and actually had little bald spots near hairline. But it all grew back :) it will stop soon. Keep taking your prenatels
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Post pregnancy hairloss is totally normal. With both of my babies, when they were 3.5-4 months old my hair started falling out in clumps, especially in the shower. See, during pregnancy your body releases a hormone which stops your hair from falling out. That's why your hair can look so full and thick during pregnancy. After you give birth, it takes time for those hormones to leave your body. Almost all my friends had their post pregnancy hair loss around 3 or 4 months. Mine lasted for about 6 weeks. My cousin's was so bad she looked like she had a receding hair line. Then when her baby turned one she had the most hilarious looking regrowth. It looked like someone had chopped some of her hair off near her hair line. She called it her mommy mane. Too funny. So don't worry about it. If it lasts more than two months, you might want to get some blood work JUST to make sure its not hypothyroidism.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I am not nursing, but I have had a really stressful 7 months and I am losing my hair. I am curious as to possible solutions.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hair loss after pregnancy is totally normal. I lost LOTS of hair in the months following giving birth with both my kids. Every time I thought I was going to go bold, but then it stopped and is started to grow back. Hang in there!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes! The crazy hairline! I pulled my hair back in a ponytail last week and gasped at the "dents"! Soooo... No more slicking back my hair for a jog - I scare myself!

I wonder if stress is a factor also. I am very busy both at work and home so maybe that is relative?
  • Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Totally normal and may continue for a while. My daughter is 17 months old and my hair stopped falling out just 2 months ago. I lost more than half my hair.....not that anyone but me noticed! It's hormonal.