Hot yoga?

Options
Has anybody done hot yoga? And how was it? I just signed up for it. Will be going tomorrow. What happens and what to wear? Thanks

Replies

• JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that LOVES it. Not sure about clothing but have fun :)
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I have a very good friend that does it. He loves it. Haven't a clue what to wear, though.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've done it a lot. Its awesome. Make sure to bring lots of water, a yoga mat, and a towel (prob a towel that covers your mat and then a smaller towel to wipe your face) you sweat ALOT. Most people I've seen wear as little clothing as possible, spandex shorts and sports bra for the women and shorts for the guys, and this goes for everyone, fat, skinny, short, tall, whatever. No one really cares what you're wearing because everyone is just trying to survive in the heat. Hope you like it! Good luck!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have done it and I loved it. I usually wear a capri yoga pant and a tank top. Need the capri as I wore shorts once and my legs were so slippery that it was hard to hold some of the positions. Also make sure you bring a towel to go over your mat otherwise it will end up slippery.
  • ode22a
    ode22a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have done and I love it. Make sure you drink a lot of water, because you do a lot of sweating. Try to not leave the room if you can not do the poses just take a seat. Let me know how it went for you
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    As little clothing as possible, bring two towels, one large enough to cover your mat, one for wiping your body off. I loved hot yoga, but the studio near me shut down. Definitely bring two LARGE water bottles, abnd take it easy your first time. If you get dizzy, lay down or take child's pose.
  • turkishmelly
    turkishmelly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I've done yoga before but not hot yoga. And I only paid 10 dollars for 10 sessions! So awesome! I sweat way too much. I just don't wanna stink up the place :(
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree about the capri pants and tank top. Also, wear items that are form fitted, otherwise baggy clothes will stick to you in weird places after you start to sweat and you'll feel the need to pull at them and fidget - which you're not supposed to do. Drink lots of water today and tomorrow and don't eat at least 2-3 hours before (I have to give myself more like four hours, or I'll throw everything back up). The most important part is to lay on your mat if you feel nauseated or light-headed. It takes a long time to get used to but it's worth it.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that LOVES it. Not sure about clothing but have fun :)

Same, my friend loves it. I think she wears normal workout clothes, esp. the wicking kind.
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I see you're in Bellevue - FYI, the Bellevue Hot Yoga studio is the worst (not terrible, just my least favorite location). The room is so small and there's always more people than the other studios so it gets waaaay hot in there. Plus, if you don't get to a class really early, all the spots by the doors or in the middle of the studio are taken and you'll be stuck directly under the heaters. Their locker room is right by the studio so it's always muggy in there too. I generally go to the Federal Way studio but the Mill Creek one is nice also. Are you going to a hatha or power class? I hope you get David, he's an awesome instructor.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've done this a couple times (the wife dragged me, lol). It was good, relaxing and I probably would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't the type of person that doesn't like the heat. Basically it was like doing yoga in a sauna. I don't remember ever sweating so much, so make sure you bring lots of water (two bottles wasn't enough for me).

As for what to wear, it depends a bit on the place. I've found that when we were at a studio that was attached to a gym as well, most of the people were wearing jogging pants/t-shirts. When we went to a studio that only did hot yoga, it was almost religious to some of the people. The men were mostly topless, and the women all had lululemon outfits (or similar), were very serious and didn't talk at all.

It seems most people either love it or hate it.
  • turkishmelly
    turkishmelly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I see you're in Bellevue - FYI, the Bellevue Hot Yoga studio is the worst (not terrible, just my least favorite location). The room is so small and there's always more people than the other studios so it gets waaaay hot in there. Plus, if you don't get to a class really early, all the spots by the doors or in the middle of the studio are taken and you'll be stuck directly under the heaters. Their locker room is right by the studio so it's always muggy in there too. I generally go to the Federal Way studio but the Mill Creek one is nice also. Are you going to a hatha or power class? I hope you get David, he's an awesome instructor.

You live in auburn? I work in auburn!!! I'll join yours :)