Surprised Already!

Options
Well, I have been on this website for almost 30 minutes and already I am encouraged and excited about making healthy lifestyle choices. I have been around the block when dieting or 'changing my lifestyle' so I know it can be done. My life took a drastic change about 4 years ago and I fell off the wagon big time. My husband was diagnosed with a terminal brain cancer which he is bound and determined to fight. I have done nothing but support him and my 2 children these past 4 four years while he regains who he was before brain surgery #2. Now, instead of being a stay at home mom, I work about 50 hours a week to support my family and my husband is learning how to be the stay at home dad he never wanted to be. I have gained about 60 pounds and have been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. For many reasons stress is excessive in my life and I take it out on everyone, including my body. I feel as though I have enough control over my mental state now that I can finally concentrate on my physical health and well being. I am looking forward to making friends and having the support I need to succeed in being a healthier and better person all around. As we make the journey to a longer and healthier life, I wish everyone the most success and happiness.

Replies

• shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been here a while and have enjoyed the tools it has provided me in my weight loss journey. It sounds like you are tough, so I am sure you will do well. It is doable. Best of luck to you!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Great job taking the first step......you will love it here!!Sending friend request. :)
  • HeatherFeather10
    Options
    Welcome - you will love it here!!!
    Wishing you all the best on this journey to a healthier you!!!
  • reneetollison
    reneetollison Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand how a family tragedy can impact your life and health in a negative way. As women, we spend so much time taking care of others in our lives and end up neglecting our own well being. I'm still trying to learn to put me first after spending 6 years taking care of my sick father most weekends and evenings. My sister was only working part-time (mostly weekends), so she insisted that she was going to take care of him so he wouldn't have to go to a nursing home. Of course, I stepped up to the plate and offered to take care of him on the weekends and whenever I could through the week. As a result of that (along with other issues), I gained 70+ pounds and ended up a total mess. I had high blood pressure and was borderline diabetic. I don't regret caring for my dad, but I should have taken better care of myself. MFP has helped me get back on track. I've lost 48 pounds in just under 4 months. Just use the tools MFP provides and READ LABELS before you put it in your mouth.. That's my best advice. I wish you the best with your journey. Sounds like you're already on your way! Send a friend request if you want to stay in touch.

8190465.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sarakay81
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy support. Technically I haven't even started...you know the diet always starts tomorrow...but I will use this website as a major tool and hopefully it will bring success. I will also have to learn how to friend people on this site....I assume that is a good starting place, eh?