Stuck at home! Eating everything in sight!

Options
Well two weeks after hitting my goal of losing 100lbs, I've gained some back. This week I've been stuck in the house due to a winter storm, I'm from the south we don't do snow & ice, lol. So I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in, I have been an eating machine at night. I've done this before, lost a bunch of weight then slowly fell back into my old way of snacking at night. I've recognized I've started to do this the past two weeks, more so this week. I've got more I want to lose, I want to get to where I don't look overweight. Even after losing 98lbs now after last week I still have a belly, love handles and flabby bits. So I've got to get my head back in the game, I struggle at times especially at night.
If anyone has advice on how to help please share. I want to hear your success stories to help motivate me. Unfortunately like I've said before I don't have a support system outside of using this app.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? Maybe it's time for a break. Maintain your current weight (plus some water gain) for at least three months. Then resume the journey.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of going to maintenence calories for a while, but will also add: use this time to focus on your night snacking. It sounds like you need to cut the snacking out and stop eating in the evening from what your saying. Find the foods you tend to snack on at nigh and Get. Them. Out. Of. Your. House.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    As of today I'm 328 days in, with roughly 44-45lbs left to reach my goal weight.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 18
    Options
    You're long overdue for a diet break. 4-6 months in would have been a good time for that. You've been losing 2.2 pounds per week. Congrats on that progress, but it's very stressful for the body.

Go back to maintenance calories. Preferably slowly over a period of weeks, but it sounds like you're having difficulty with that. Then maintain your current weight (likely a few pounds heavier than today, but that's OK) for at least three months. You'll be mentally and physically recharged to continue after that.

EDIT: Also, do you not have any way to exercise at home? You can get equipment that doesn't take up much room... a set of adjustable dumbbells, bands, etc.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited January 18
    Options
    I wouldn’t panic.

First of all, it’ll be years before another snow “event” happens down here. 😂

I’ve lost a substantial amount, and during that time have taken several vacations that were strongly food oriented, visited the kids overseas and west coast and indulged heavily. European bakeries! In’n Out! See’s Chocolates! And don’t get me started on Lazy Acres cookies.

Remember, a “pound” is 3500 calories and a lot of what you’re eating is carbs. (Because that’s what we reach for on snow days, right?!) carbs = water weight. You’d have to be pretty wildly off base to pick up more than two or three pounds and anything over that is water and will be …errrrr….released pretty quickly.

Enjoy it for the rare lovely thing that is snow in the south (or ice or just the threat of either!), have a few days of fun and then get right back to plan.

I’d challenge you to post here how much you gained and then to post how fast it came off. I think you’ll be pleased, and shocked that it was just a minor blip.
  • MachOne4
    MachOne4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    pbm89gt wrote: »
    As of today I'm 328 days in, with roughly 44-45lbs left to reach my goal weight.

Well done PBM, 328 days in is very impressive buddy.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm a night snacker, too! I've recently started the 16:8 intermittent fasting routine and found that helps. Basically, you allow yourself to eat only during an 8 hour period. So, if breakfast at 10 AM, stop eating at 6:00 PM. What works for me is drinking herbal teas and flavored no-calorie waters to help me feel full. It gives my hands and mouth something to do. My best tip is to floss and brush your teeth as soon as your time limit hits, then rinse with mouthwash. It helps me not to eat because I'm cleaned up and convince myself I don't want to ruin that feeling. Good luck!
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have found that diet breaks (planned or unplanned) have actually been beneficial to me in my weightloss journey. Once I jumped back on the diet I'd lose fairly quickly again. Of course the first week back on is mostly water weightloss but I do see an increase in weight loss after a break. Just don't go crazy on the break! Relax but don't go overboard and be sure to get back on within a reasonable time. All I want to do when it's cold out is lounge around and eat also. I think this is just a survival instinct from the past we have that doesn't really suit us anymore. But I believe it's totally normal. Then in the summer I'm busting my butt in the heat and lose an average 10 pounds so if I gain 10 in the winter...no big deal. Anyway, try not to beat yourself up too much...but try not to beat yourself up too little either! You worked hard. Don't blow it but enjoy a bit of a rest.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So I did gain this week, .6lbs for a total gain of 2.4lbs over the past two weeks. Not as bad as I thought but still not good.