Best use of a week to myself?

Options
I am a working mum with 2 small kids.
Over last few years I’ve used all my capacity trying to progress at work and juggling all the kids and house stuff.
That’s meant my mental and physical health have been neglected. I am 20lbs overweight and often very down.

I’m in the very lucky position of having a week to dedicate to myself before I return to a new role and I’d appreciate any advice on how I can best use the time .

I’m thinking of trying to set some better habits around exercise, getting outside, batch cooking some healthy meals.

Basically try to avoid just getting through more of the infinite housework!

All ideas would be very welcome!

Answers

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 8
    Options
    I can relate! As a working mom, myself, my suggestion (based on my own needs and tendancies) is to use the week to restore. Restorative practices may seem counterintuitive when you want to lose weight and get "back on track" or on top of things; however, I have found that they are the best. Make space for doing nothing. Make space for slowing down. Make space to check in with yourself. When I focus on restoration, I do things like: nothing, laying around, taking a bath, gentle yoga, walking, meditation, lighting candles, journaling, cuddling up with a book to read, making my favorite meal, talking to a friend, and things like that. I know that restorative practices can be hard when we are stressed, maxxed, and looking for change. We think: "I need to get busy! Now!" But in my experience, if we are already leading a busy life, then using free time to restore can support us best in our everyday hustle.

I'm a mom who works two full time jobs and teaches yoga and fitness and runs two businesses on the side. I get to the gym twice and week and the other days I train for my first Rugged Maniac. I have gained 30 pounds in the last three years, and I feel bad about myself sometimes, too.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When I have the chance to have some time to myself, I go camping in a tent or stay at a hotel for 2 nights. First, it unplugs me from feeling obligated to clean my house. That chore can wait until I come home. Second, a change of scenery is itself relaxing. If I'm camping, I go on hikes and eat the foods I love, sketch or watercolor, and build a fire to stare into. If I'm at a hotel, I walk in nearby parks, go to museums, eat at a restaurant alone and/or watch standup comedy. I am not rich, but I consider this to be mental and physical health care and justified. I always feel better after this! When you get back home and the kids are at school, take naps and do your hobbies and DON'T do all the cleaning and cooking and laundry you typically do. It can sit there. Decide not to care about your home's appearance for this limited time. Get in your car, turn up the music you like, and go somewhere just out of town and enjoy the drive!
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the really slow update but thank you all for your input, I really appreciate the positive and thoughtful responses.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    cask16 wrote: »
    Sorry for the really slow update but thank you all for your input, I really appreciate the positive and thoughtful responses.

@cask16, what did you decide to do, and how did it work out - if you did act already?