how do u know if ur truly working out?

Options
i dont know if this topic has been done before. But, how high does ur heart rate have to go to know if ur doing enough on cardio? or does it not matter?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the threshold but 65% of max is a good low intensity workout which will use primarily fat as energy.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    You should at least be breaking a sweat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. I usually go between 70-80% of my max heart rate.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    274.jpg
  • chicainthesd
    chicainthesd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i always always sweat like a pig in the gym lol so thats not a problem :p and my heart rate is usually from 147 to 170 sometimes higher... and im 239 so im pretty hefty sometimes i go over 170... but rarely
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting the great graph. I didn't even realize that different ages should workout at different rates. Awesome.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I suggest buying a heartrate monitor and staying between 70-80% of your max HR for your age.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i always always sweat like a pig in the gym lol so thats not a problem :p and my heart rate is usually from 147 to 170 sometimes higher... and im 239 so im pretty hefty sometimes i go over 170... but rarely

Looks like you are doing great!! :happy:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    274.jpg

I always wonder about that 220-age guideline . . . I consider myself to be very fit, but I always exceed (220-age) while teaching spin -- I can maintain a much higher heart rate while teaching (including speaking and singing while teaching) and I can recover from my perceived MHR in 15 - 30 seconds.

I'm not sure what that means . . .
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If I recall, 220-age is actually the formula for men, it's slightly different for women, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

Either way, it's just a guesstimate formula, probably a pretty decent margin of error built in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    274.jpg

I always wonder about that 220-age guideline . . . I consider myself to be very fit, but I always exceed (220-age) while teaching spin -- I can maintain a much higher heart rate while teaching (including speaking and singing while teaching) and I can recover from my perceived MHR in 15 - 30 seconds.

I'm not sure what that means . . .
    It means your heart and lungs and oxygen/CO2 exchange is very efficient. You probably have a low resting heart rate too. In life, the more faster you heart beats at rest, the faster you body deteriorates.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes, I have a low resting HR and low blood pressure -- any time a medical professional takes it, they look shocked and want to take it again. ha.
  • merenguera69
    Options
    for your heart rate you should take your age minus 220 multiplied by 65 - 80 %. I normally x by 65% however I have a heart block so it pretty much depends on your health status, hope this is helpful
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    If I recall, 220-age is actually the formula for men, it's slightly different for women, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

Either way, it's just a guesstimate formula, probably a pretty decent margin of error built in.

The 220-age is a number that has no real scientific basis in research. It is based on some educated guesstimates. It is a good enough baseline, but a person's actual max heart rate is likely to be different than that.

Also, heart rate is less helpful if you are one certain medications which effect your heart rate. When I was still on beta blockers, my heart rate was artificially slowed, so these numbers would not help. Perceived exertion is often a better gauge of how well you are exercising.