Carb Cycling?

Options
Right now I am sticking to a low carb diet and eating mostly all natural foods... Once I get to my goal weight, I will up my carbs to include the healthier carbs such as steel oatmeal, whole wheat bread and pasta, brown rice and so on...

But for right now while I am trying to lose weight, has anyone ever heard of Carb Cycling or actually do it? What is your experience with it? I am a little nervous that if I have one day a week with much higher than usual carbs, that I will screw up ketosis.

Any thoughts? :happy:

Replies

• TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My only thought is that you might feel like crap the next day. When I was following the South Beach Diet strictly, I would feel almost hung over if I had a major cheat day (i.e., pizza and beer, party with chips/cake/coke/etc). You could always try it for 2 weeks or so and see if you get results. If it doesn't work for you, then go back to what you're doing now.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I did carb cycling last year. Its tough i thought, but saw a major difference

I found out my body responds well to carbs, so i do not restrict the carbs anymore

If you have any questions feel free to PM me :]
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I do it and love it. That said, I still try to keep the carbs healthy-- fruit, yogurt, sweet potatoes, light bread...

I never eat pasta, white bread, potatoes or rice, no matter the color. i just don't miss it enough to warrant it. That said, I do occasionally treat myself to ice cream and a cupcake here and there.

I usually cycle between 20 net carbs/day and 100 net carbs/day. :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have eaten carbs every day of my entire life, and i have never been overweight (my highest weight ever was still within normal range for my height). I never count them, except I will make a point to eat extra carbs for a few days before an endurance event, and I eat lots of them during an endurance event. I am never sick from eating them. All of my friends who are athletes eat carbs without any problems.

I do, however, get gassy from eating too much dairy and sometimes from mixing fruit and veggies in the same meal.

Do not be afraid of carbs -- you can have them and stay slim and fit.

blessings.
  • momof6monkees
    Options
    may I ask what Carb cycling is?

I am on a low carb, but I pretty much stick to around 20 carbs. I notice tho if I eat the bad carbs, I gain, so I don't respond well to them....
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    may I ask what Carb cycling is?

I am on a low carb, but I pretty much stick to around 20 carbs. I notice tho if I eat the bad carbs, I gain, so I don't respond well to them....

When you go low carb the glycogen in your muscles and your liver is depleted.
    When you add in carbs again you replenish these stores (GOOD THING)

This is what the gain probably is
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, you'll definitely be out of ketosis after eating a bunch of carbs. But the purpose of the cycling is to restock your glycogen stores so you have enough energy to exercise the rest of the week. That's MY reason for cycling, anyway. There could be other reasons but I don't know what they are. I've been cycling between 60g nc 6 days a week & close to 500g nc one day a week for close to a year now & I've never felt better. I've lost fat & created visible muscle definition even though I still have quite a bit of fat to lose. According to the scale I've dropped close to 25 lbs while doing it which is a little slower than the rate I was losing at before, but I honestly don't care. The strength training & carb cycling together are reshaping my body the way I want & I foresee myself continuing with it even in maintenance, with the only difference being carb-up weekend vs. carb-up day.

If you are the type to freak out over an increase on the scale then cycling is not for you. I've taken vacations & gone off-plan for 4-5 days & gained as much as 10 lbs. After getting back to the carb cycling it was back off in just over a week.

After a carb-up I'll gain 4-5 lbs overnight, but it's water retention because of the carbs. It's impossible to gain that much fat overnight. Then as I follow my low carb plan & execute my workouts it comes off steadily through the week & next thing you know I'm a half pound or a full pound lighter than the previous week. Personally I'm ok with losing at this rate because I like the way I eat & don't want to reduce my fat grams right now. But a significant benefit of managing my macros so specifically is that I have a great deal of control over my rate of loss. Since I've been losing 1/2-1 lb a week for several weeks at 100g fat, if I want to lose faster I can drop it to 90g to speed it up. Or I can thrown in some HIIT workouts on the elliptical.
  • momof6monkees
    Options
    I've kinda sorta done that... but it is usually once or twice a month, versus a week. I usually do it if I notice a plateau, as to sort of jumpstart my body again.

Thanks.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Interesting
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    When you do carb cycling you shouldn't be doing it long term usually between 1-3 weeks. Then you will go back to what you usually eat but healthy...
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    When you do carb cycling you shouldn't be doing it long term usually between 1-3 weeks. Then you will go back to what you usually eat but healthy...
    What's the point of only doing it for 1-3 weeks?
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    What's the point of only doing it for 1-3 weeks?
    [/quote

If you have researched any of carb cycling like on body building etc. You drastically cut to like 80 one day and 130 etc on the next depending on how much you want to lose. It shouldn't be a permanent thing if you are cutting drastically. There is a calculation on there that will tell you how many grams to take in on each day.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Right now I am sticking to a low carb diet and eating mostly all natural foods... Once I get to my goal weight, I will up my carbs to include the healthier carbs such as steel oatmeal, whole wheat bread and pasta, brown rice and so on...

But for right now while I am trying to lose weight, has anyone ever heard of Carb Cycling or actually do it? What is your experience with it? I am a little nervous that if I have one day a week with much higher than usual carbs, that I will screw up ketosis.

If you gained weight on those "healthy carbs" in the first place, they are likely not healthy carbs for you.

I train hard, I train often, I log my cardio but not my strength and conditioning.

After a VERY VERY hard workout (over an hour of intervals, sprint work, conditioning drills, etc..), I will take 2 glucose tabs, that is 4 grams of pure glucose. It is more than enough. And even then, that's maybe 2x a week.

That is it. Its enough. Unless you are a pro body builder (already lean , wanting to stay lean while building muscle) carb cycling is likely not an ideal approach. It is a highly exact thing.

Your muscles recharge on glucose just fine, amino acids in your diet (which is why you need protein) will help build muscle, but excess will be broken down into glucose. It is slower than when you eat pure carbs, but it still happens.

Today I am doing a 2 mile walk, carrying a 100 pound sandbag, as my week-ender workout. I can deadlift over 440 pounds, and didn't start weight lifting until age 40, 2 years ago, and even then only 2x a week. Obviously you do not need carb cycling to maintain or even build strength.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly gluten free/low carb for about last 6 weeks and lost 9lbs.. when it originally took me 4 months (with carbs.. white bread, rice, pasta etc most meals) to lose the first 9lbs.

I noticed a big difference in my water retention.. when I first changed diet I weighed 3 times a day to see difference and eating only some fruits, salad, veg and one portion of meat or fish a day I only gain 1 lb through the day, previously I would gain 3-6lbs a day in my regular diet which usually consisted of wheat based cereal, or toast, sandwiches for lunch and (white) potato, rice or pasta with dinner everyday.

As I don't actually have a proven wheat allergy I don't bother checking all food items for tiny amounts but just cutting bread out and the wheat based cereal everyday made a big difference for me. I do have gluten free bread a few times a week so I can have my toast and eggs! and allow gluten free pitta bread to use as pizza bases and 'healthy kebabs'!

I usually have these on the last day, by last day I mean I've noticed as I'm not having as many carbs I don't visit the bathroom as often for BM (sorry it this is TMI :embarassed: ) , but I usually eat really low for 2 days then if haven't been I add bread or something the third day to get things going! .. as I figure its not gonna be in there long to pile huge amounts of weight back on! .. I'm loosing steadily now most weeks so its working for me,
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to try it for my last 3 weeks of LiveFit. I'm new to this too, but excited. Here's a great article I found. After reading it I felt well informed.
    As with anything, if you do it right, I'm sure there's nothing to fear but great results. Wish you and me luck both! Feel free to add me so we can help each other out.:wink:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wescott4.htm
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling is only really beneficial to those dieting to single-digit bodyfat
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to comprehend how people do a low carb diet--how low do you go, someone mentioned 20?! Even something healthy, like a squash, just for an example, has a ton of carbs in it, and fruit.... what do you eat?! Salad does too... I only started noticing the amount of carbs in things since I started on here. I lost my weight before I started on MFP. So it's shocking to see how many carbs are in healthy foods too. I can't imagine what you get to eat... I guess I'll go do some research now..

Oh, and this is honest curiosity... and not at all a criticism, I started to wonder when I asked a friend (who is a body builder) how to get leaner, and she told me not to eat carbs at dinner... and that's when I eat the majority of them!! I also was a long distance runner so I lived on carbs prior to long runs... I eat a pretty healthy diet, but it seems carb-heavy. Surprises me...
  • cclaborn22
    Options

I definitely cycle my carbs. It helps maintain my training intensity by putting more carbs around my intense workouts, and still averaging out a deficit by keeping carbs and calories low on non training or cardio only days.

High carb days help nutrient partitioning by sorting carbs or calories where they will be best utilized instead of being stored. When you workout intensely there is a "post-workout window", and the carbs you eat then will be sorted out to the muscles that need glycogen fills restored. But say you're not carb cycling--so after your intense workout the carbs you would take in on a "normal" day may not be enough to completely refill your muscle glycogen to the extent it could be.

Low carb days tend to provide larger calorie deficits while hopefully getting good fatty acid mobilization. For me I've seen people try this and it puts them in a place of muscle breakdown. So, be sure if you lower your carbs to increase your protein for the day and you'll keep your hard work :smile:
  • born4uuuu
    Options
    Good post! my personal trainer who looks like hulk hogan but can run... hahaha he front loads his carbs. So first thing when he wakes up he slams a protien shakes and waits 2hrs then chows down on 4 eggs 2 cups of rice and 1 apple 1 orange, then for snack time 2 hrs later he loads on oatmeals (cold) yuks! and then nitro tech to trans port the carbs with protien. then lunch its chicken and pastas...

After lunch very small amounts of protien are consumed like 110 or something lower then that, before bed cottage cheese, yogurt ad 1 nitro tech scoop choco milkeshake... He's big has lots of energy, he claims his day starts early morning and then ends around 2 or 3pm for work so easy for him to be low on energy into the late afternoon evening just as long as he keeps it in check.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Oh, and this is honest curiosity... and not at all a criticism, I started to wonder when I asked a friend (who is a body builder) how to get leaner, and she told me not to eat carbs at dinner...

There is still a large population of bodybuilders (and non-bodybuilders for that matter) that are hung up on previously held beliefs that had no merit to begin with. The above is one of them. Dropping carbs in the evening may cause a change in water weight that could show up in the next day's weigh-in but it wont somehow cause fat gain if you eat carbs at night.

I literally eat 1000-1500 calories in the evening and often it includes a big bowl of oatmeal and/or ice cream right before getting into bed.. not that anecdotal evidence means anything so I guess that was a pointless inclusion...