Post partum weight loss help

Options
I just gave birth two days ago and I just get so hungry but I don't wanna continue eating the way I did while I was pregnant and eating healthy is so hard, does anyone know what I can do to be hungry less? I gained 50 pounds while pregnant after it took me forever to lose 50 and I just feel stuck.
Tagged:

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    You are so hungry because your body is healing and producing milk, plus you have a baby to care for. Your body needs extra energy right now. Please talk to your doctor about restricting calories
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 20
    Options
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant today so this will be my reality here very shortly. If you need a post partum weightloss buddy you are welcome to friend me. I'll be right there with you...in 8-10 weeks. I just got done losing 70 pounds before my pregnancy and am up 35 pounds already. I'm trying my best to maintain right now after briefly (a couple times) giving up and not caring what I ate while pregnant. I'll be 40 years old when I have my baby. I have two older boys one is 16 years old and one is 18 years old. I vaguely remember losing roughly 30 pounds in the first two weeks with both of them without even trying. But it's been so long so my memory might be foggy. I would suggest you try to just stay away from too many bad carbs, keep protein and good fats up. Protein and fats will keep you fuller longer. Eat lots of fruit and veggies...Definitely drink your water. But I would give it a couple weeks (at least!) before you worry too much about weightloss because your body is not done shedding weight from birth yet so you don't even know yet what you are going to have to work off. You might be pleasantly surprised. As it is, you lost the weight once, you can do it again. So try to just enjoy your baby and just get some rest when possible. Congratulations mama!
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That is normal. Eat plenty of food right now. Your body will adjust but takes some time. Congratulations!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited January 21
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby!!!

The 50lbs of fat you lost before pregnancy have only a little in common with the 50lbs of weight you gained during pregnancy.

You actually will not know for weeks how much actual fat weight you gained as you're currently still losing fluid buildup.

On top of that there is healing, hormonal upheaval which you're probably still experiencing, and milk production

Many people lose excess pregnancy weight "naturally" over the course of the first year by eating at maintenance and allowing milk production to create a small deficit. Many people also do need to do a bit more than that. But vanishingly few need to go full tilt right away.

Talking with your doctor after being fully healed and being better able to evaluate your starting point may also be a good way forward!

Take care!