Info of the Day: Resting Between Workouts, How Much?

Options
How Long Should You Really Rest Between Workouts?
By: Jen Mueller :

We always talk about the importance of rest when it comes to your exercise routine. Your body needs that time to recover, and your overall health and fitness level will benefit from non-exercise days.

But how much rest is too much?

Research from the University of Missouri at Columbia found that only two days of inactivity are enough to cause the size of fat cells to increase by 25%! Surprised? Although this research was done on animals, the same could be true for people.

I've often heard that after 48 hours, your fitness level can start to decrease. That's one reason why it is important to stay regular with your workouts. I find that if I take too many rest days in a row, it's harder to get myself back to the gym (both physically and mentally). And when I do make it back, that same workout is usually a little more challenging than it was just 3 or 4 days before.

Balance is essential.
Too few rest days and you can end up overtraining and compromising your progress. Too many rest days and your progress can also be compromised. As a general rule, I recommend taking 1-2 days off each week from all activity, spacing those days over the week.

What do you think? With so much talk about the importance of rest, are you surprised about the possible effects of just a little too much? How do you incorporate rest days into your exercise routine?

Replies

• IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I agree... after 1 or 2 days
    it is definitely harder for me to get back into the
    swing of things both mentally & physically.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I try to take one day off of working out and just walking on that off day.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I try to have a good workout one day and then just go for a decent walk, maybe 3 miles or so, the next day. If I pound on the treadmill more than two days in a row my legs don't like it much. Anyway, that works for me.

Slán
    Phil
  • MissLuana
    Options
    I've started going every other day. So, I go every other day or I'm off every other day. All depends in how you want to look at it...lol
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Usually 1 or no days off. I listen to my body and sometimes have to take a couple of days off in a row. For example, I have been working out quite a bit over the last 2 months. My body is telling me that I cannot progress right now without injury. Luckily I am going away for 4 days and will be unable to work out. The last time I did this, my body healed properly and after about 1 week back at the gym, I was making large gains. Great point you bring up. Often overlooked.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever take a full day off from exercising. With few exceptions I do Zumba for 60 min a day, 6 days a week. I take one day off from that, but on those days I still work in some strength training and calesthenics. The only time I've taken days off in a row was for vacation. The longest was eight days, though I was walking (siteseeing) and swimming some during that time. When I vacation is over, I get back into my same routine.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    OOps, forgot mine.

When I started off I started with no days off - I was so determined to lose the weight and wanted to lose it in chunks at a time (my big misconception) Then, I would work out very early in the am and have the whole day to rest "still everyday". I started, getting soooo exhausted after workouts and didn't know why and, my brother told me "You aren't resting, your muscles have to re-cooperate" So, I am still a little hardheaded, :ohwell: but I do rest 1 day out of the week now. I don't feel exhausted after workouts anymore. :wink:
  • juliapm7
    Options
    I am just starting off and been working out everyday for the last 7 days. I'm like you were, very determined and wanting to lose weight in chunks NOW. I think I finally over did it with the butt bible video yesterday. Movement seemed to help the soreness so I got on the elliptical this morning, but my legs are beyond sore now so tomorrow is definitely going to be a rest day. I think that I'm going to try every other day workouts until I'm more up to speed.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Right now I work out 6 days/week, 1.5-3 hours a day, the 7th day I usually just take a walk or do elliptical for 30 min or so.