Calories per day & pounds per week

Options
How many calories do you get in a day?

What is your weight loss goal per week set to?

I'm thinking of lowering my calories (and aiming for 1.5 lb loss a week) and seeing how that goes. I have 15 lbs. left to reach my first really big goal. Then I will go from there and set another goal.

If you want to share your stats (ht/wt) also that'd be great.

Replies

• davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1300 calories per day to lose 2lbs per week. It's tough at the beginning to keep your number that low because you have to find good food substitutes for the stuff you used to eat. Now, it's very easy for me to hit that number.

I'm male, 5'6", 169lbs
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it slow, want to make good choices and maintain better habits. 1500 calories per day. About 1/2 pound loss per week. 5'5" and 174
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 to 2000 calories per day to loose 2 pounds per week. (I usually burn 650-1000 calories at the gym daily).
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal the less per week you usually lose if you're doing it in a healthy way. By weaning yourself off of rapid weight loss into slower (.5/week) into maintenance calories you're more likely to sustain the loss. Your body is more ready for the changes it is going through.
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am allotted 1310 calories per day. I weigh 148 lbs and am 5'5 and a half. I have mine set to 1 lb loss per week because the lowest I have ever been was 142 and my GW is 140, so I figure this is a good way to take it slow for my last bit of weight loss
  • eh613c
    eh613c Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm eating just a little under 2000calories/day and losing 1lb/wk. I'm currently breastfeeding (exclusively) which adds 500 calories to my daily total and I try to walk 3 times/week for 60 minutes. I'm 5'8 and 138lbs.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    You are likely going to see better results at 1lb or 0.5lbs per week if you only have 15lbs left to lose. I know we are all anxious to get that last few pounds off but you actually need to eat when you are close to your goal.

I have 1340 calories a day and am set at 1lb/week. I am going to change that soon to 0.5lbs/week as I am close to my original goal... I am now going to reduce my goal by 10 lbs.
  • JenniferLynn77
    Options
    Hey!

I am set at .5/lb a week. It feels more manageable than 1 lb per week (which I was doing)

I am 5'9'' and have about 1500 calories a day.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have 15 lbs til my first goal which is 138. I think I'm going to try and get down to 125. I can't ever remember being that size, so I'm not sure how that will go. If I end up doing that, I still have around 25 to lose. That's mainly the reason I want to change my weight loss per week.
  • Aneilson13
    Aneilson13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat about 900 to 1000 calories a day. My goal on here is 900, but like today I went 89 over but then burned it off with exercise. And those 900 calories feel like I'm eating A LOT. I used to proably eat around 1400 daily and I just gained weight. I'm 5'8 and 194 lbs.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1lb week, 5'6" 176 lbs and I eat 1600 a day + sometimes I eat some or all of my exercise calories (Depends on how hungry I am, if I am super low on protein or something, etc)

In the last 90 days, I have lost about 24 pounsd --- this is about 1.8-1.9 lbs per week

I've never done that calculation before soooooo I'm actually quite shocked.

I work out almost every day but not intensely - I generally burn about 200-300 calories per workout -- I do full personal training sessions 2 times a week (focused on strength) and I add a little strength training to most of my days (not ALL) in the form of a few squats, walking lunges, pushups. Nothing very intense.

I WAS eating less for most of that time, my calories allotted were dropping regularly and I tended not to eat ALL of them (I still don't always, I base it on if I hit my protein macro and how I feel that day). I was down to 1450/day at some point but I upped my cals recently to blast through a plateau.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Pannypainda......

That's quite low for your height and current weight honey... have you considered upping your cals? 900 cals is a number no one should hit. It's not maintainable and won't keep your body fueled for what you need it to do for the day.

Sorry to pester, but I made that mistake in my younger years and paid the price.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Pannypainda......

That's quite low for your height and current weight honey... have you considered upping your cals? 900 cals is a number no one should hit. It's not maintainable and won't keep your body fueled for what you need it to do for the day.

Sorry to pester, but I made that mistake in my younger years and paid the price.

shouldn't say "no one" -- no one 5'9" though probably, someone who's 4'9 might. But on the other hand if she doesn't measure her food correctly she may think she is eating 900 calories and ACTUALLY be consuming a lot more - so its not totally out of the question that what she considers "900" calories is fine for her. If she's using a food scale that does sound low.

A lot of people vastly underestimate how much they actually eat though.
  • Mdfreeman
    Mdfreeman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you login online and go under My Home / Goals you can see the math that comes up with your daily calorie figures.

For example my # currently are for a single day:

A. Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 2,690 calories/day

B. Net Calories Consumed* Your Daily Goal 1,710 calories/ day

C. Daily Calorie Deficit 980 calories

D. Projected Weight Loss 2.0 lbs/ week

The rough math is for every 3500 calories you burn you will loose a pound. With my figures, each week I am 6860 calories (980 calories x 7days) below what it would take to not loose weight.

This is just shy of the 7000 calories per week to loose 2lbs. FYI: I noticed that MFP seems to tweak my figures once in a while to keep me at or near 1000 calories per day.

If you reduce the lbs per week that you want to loose, it will increase the calories per day that you can eat.

nOTE: This math does not require inclusion of height to determine the Daily Calorie Deficit that drives your weekly weight loss goal

So what do your figures look like?