Discouraged ... haven't lost anything ...

Options
I've always had to watch my weight, but after losing the baby pounds from my last child 5 years ago I've been pretty stable at a weight that works for me. I had some life circumstances this winter and as a result, over the course of 2.5 months, I put on 8 pounds.

When things got back to normal, I figured no big deal, I'll pay a little more attention and drop this weight. After a month of "paying attention", no change. So I figured, OK, I need to get rigorous about this and came here to log my calories. I've been logging for a month, I would say that 5 days of the week I go to bed with a 300-400 calorie deficit and 2 days a week, I have no deficit. I don't believe that there have been any days that I've eaten more calories than I've burned, and no days that I've really just 'blown it'.

I believe that my diet is fairly healthy, carbs are my weakness, but I don't eat junk food and eat lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies. I've been getting 300 - 600 calories worth of exercise every single day, either through running or walking. I always eat those calories.

I knew coming into this that it was going to be a slow loss, I hate being hungry, I'm over 40 and I don't have much to lose, so I was aiming at 2 lbs a month, but it's so discouraging to not see any loss. Every time I weigh myself, I'm up a pound, down a pound, up a pound, down a pound, etc.

I know I just need to stick with it, but it pisses me off, how easy it is to gain (I wasn't really bad during that 2.5 months but my exercise was cut way back and I did eat out much more than normal) and how hard it is to lose! Grrr. Just needed to vent.

73896.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Classiccolors
    Classiccolors Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've always had to watch my weight, but after losing the baby pounds from my last child 5 years ago I've been pretty stable at a weight that works for me. I had some life circumstances this winter and as a result, over the course of 2.5 months, I put on 8 pounds.

When things got back to normal, I figured no big deal, I'll pay a little more attention and drop this weight. After a month of "paying attention", no change. So I figured, OK, I need to get rigorous about this and came here to log my calories. I've been logging for a month, I would say that 5 days of the week I go to bed with a 300-400 calorie deficit and 2 days a week, I have no deficit. I don't believe that there have been any days that I've eaten more calories than I've burned, and no days that I've really just 'blown it'.

I believe that my diet is fairly healthy, carbs are my weakness, but I don't eat junk food and eat lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies. I've been getting 300 - 600 calories worth of exercise every single day, either through running or walking. I always eat those calories.

I knew coming into this that it was going to be a slow loss, I hate being hungry, I'm over 40 and I don't have much to lose, so I was aiming at 2 lbs a month, but it's so discouraging to not see any loss. Every time I weigh myself, I'm up a pound, down a pound, up a pound, down a pound, etc.

I know I just need to stick with it, but it pisses me off, how easy it is to gain (I wasn't really bad during that 2.5 months but my exercise was cut way back and I did eat out much more than normal) and how hard it is to lose! Grrr. Just needed to vent.

73896.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    if you are leaving 300-400 cals each day it could be the reason you are not loosing weight...

try to hit the cals reccommended and see how that goes alot of people make the mistake of cutting too many cals leaving the body in "starvation mode"! give it a go for this next month, that included eating your exercise cals too xxx
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I've been logging for a month, I would say that 5 days of the week I go to bed with a 300-400 calorie deficit and 2 days a week, I have no deficit. I don't believe that there have been any days that I've eaten more calories than I've burned, and no days that I've really just 'blown it'.

When you say you're going to bed with a 300-400 calorie deficit, is that in addition to the deficit already built in by MPF? Are you saying you're not meeting the calorie goals on your food page on those days?

I found I wasn't able to lose on a 1200 calorie diet. I upped my calories to 1400 and once or twice a week I go over that. I am losing steadily now. I am only 5'4" and I currenly weigh 146. My BMR is around 1400 and I try not to go below that. I recommend you try upping your cals for a few weeks and see if it helps you shed the extra... a body that thinks it's starving isn't going to let go of the extra fat.
  • Classiccolors
    Classiccolors Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. Although it seems counter-intuitive I think I'll try adding a couple of hundred calories a day and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Thanks again.