How much weight can I lose….

Options
Between now and august11. I am going to the d23 expo for the first time and weigh 254.i am hoping for 60 pounds.

Answers

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Aiming for about 1 pound loss per week, you should be able to lose about 30-35 pounds, I think. My personal experience was that losing 2 pounds a week meant I lost muscle tone (despite working out) and my hair started falling out. My advice to you is: slow and steady wins the race.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Fat loss will be in direct proportion to how disciplined you are with your calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    60 pounds by August 11 would be a fairly aggressive weight loss rate to try for, roughly a bit over 2 pounds a week for the whole time.

At the extremes, there are two possible outcomes:

You may be the rare person who can accomplish that radical a change in daily habits and stick to it continuously for roughly 7.5 months. If you accomplish that, as others have hinted, you run some risk of arriving at D23 much thinner, but listless, haggard-looking, with thinning hair and brittle nails, maybe a down-regulated immune system. Is something bad guaranteed to happen? No, but risks go up.

Or, you'll turn out to be more like a lot of us (including me) and find that losing weight really fast results in periodic bouts of deprivation-triggered over-eating, breaks in the action, or maybe giving up altogether because it's Just Too Hard. In that case, there would be lower loss by August 11, possibly none. Is that guaranteed to happen? No, but risks go up.

I'm guessing that you want to lose weight by D23 to improve appearance and be able to participate in more things by being more healthy/energetic. If that's true, your best bet would be to settle into a sustainable routine you can stick with for the whole time. You might be able to lose a couple of pounds a week for a bit, maybe up to the first 20 pounds or so, if you're very disciplined . . . but then it would be a good idea (more sustainable) to down-shift to more like a pound a week, get overall good nutrition, do some manageable exercise to improve fitness.

That's likely to result in the best mix of weight loss, energy/fitness improvement, and good appearance by D23.

That's just my opinion based on my own experience, though.

Whatever you decide, I wish you success!

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible, according to the idea that people can lose 1% per week. Probable? I've never seen someone lose 1% for 28 weeks in a row. Doesn't mean it's not possible though.
  • aaoch1
    aaoch1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible, I lost 60 pounds in the last four months starting at 280 (September 15 - January 15). My personal opinion is that adding exercise will do more to make you feel better and be better able to enjoy the activities at the expo than weight loss alone. And I would definitely recommend maintenance breaks if you're losing fast, I have taken two maintenance breaks (7 days and 11 days, on holidays) and I think that helps avoid some of the negative effects of losing quickly. Good luck, I hope you find a routine that works amazingly for you!
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 21
    Options
    It's possible. Usually when you start, you can lose a good bit in the initial week. I have seen a drop of 7 pounds in a first week of weight loss, personally. After that it levels out if you stick to the diet. Then you have 5 months 3 weeks (roughly) to lose the rest. Make sure you push water daily. Lots of it. If you have a lot of muscle now you might lose a bit faster also because muscle helps burn fat. You are going to have to find your own rhythm to this race...one that won't burn you out! But just know, if you are 10 pounds over your goal, your people likely won't see that difference. WE can see 10 pounds on ourselves but friends or acquaintances likely won't. They aren't scrutinizing you nearly as bad as you will be doing to yourself. Even if you only accomplish 30-45 pound weight loss, you will show up looking and (most importantly) feeling better and more confident in yourself. That healthy/confident look is likely what your acquaintances will notice most. I lost somewhere around 43-46 pounds (I can't even remember exactly now) in 6 months using MFP when I first started. It took me about 1.5 years to drop 70 in total. But that's with on again off again dieting. I do wish you success. Every pound lost is worth the work. This isn't an all or bust kind of thing.