Potatoes macros logging

Options
alexanderolldashi
alexanderolldashi Posts: 1 Member
edited January 22 in Getting Started
Hello everyone i was wondering if its correct to count my potatoes baked cause there is a usda baked potatoe option i can log in into the app so what should I do for the most accurate measurement baked or raw potatoes logging

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters as long as you use the correct USDA entry. They will be different weights for the same potato.

I weigh everything raw. Saves me having to remember that distinction.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Also, if it says, "USDA" in the food database here on myfitnesspal, it was entered by another member such as yourself, so make sure it's correct. Like, some people will enter a baked potato WITH all the additional toppings.

I use the Admin Entered one...after I finally found it. There are differences for (for instance) Russet potatoes and red potatoes too - just to complicate it further.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Like cmriverside said, so long as you find the correct/accurate entry, either works. If you have not yet learned to recognize those, comparing an entry with the USDA site the first time you use it is helpful.

Personally, I use the raw entry for anything where I intend to eat the whole thing, like roasted potatoes. I use the cooked entry and the portion I eat (or deduct that I do not) for items where I eat only a portion. (For example, for chicken breast or some other part cooked bone-in, I usually pull the meat off the bone after cooking and weigh whatever I am eating then. Not great for a formal dinner with guests, but for normal daily meals that works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @lemurcat2!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat a Russet baked potato I use "Potatoes, Russet, flesh and skin, baked"

If I'm making roasted root vegetables I use the recipe builder and (this time of year) "Potatoes, old, raw, flesh only."

I've actually been debating between these two preparation styles today. Since the chicken that is going with them does better at 350 degrees F rather than the higher temp for roasted root vegetables, am going with baked.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Welcome back @lemurcat2!

Thanks!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I tend to weight my spuds raw, because if I bake them there's bound to be some oil involved and it's not always quite clear whether a database entry includes this or not. It should not, but I've seen some particularly high calorie potato entries, without fat being included.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I always weigh ingredients before I cook them. Like the 285 gram russet that's currently in the oven.