Advice?

Options
I've been dieting and working out for almost a month now. I eat around 900 to 1000 calories a day, and go to the gym 4 times a week if I can and burn about 600-800 cal.

I keep hearing everyone say it's not healthy to eat less than 1,200 a day.. but I used to eat about 1.400 before I started this and all I did was gain weight.

What do you guys think I should be at for calories a day? I feel like the 900ish is working for me and feels like I'm eating a LOT.

Replies

• davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You should use a BMR calculator online to get a general idea of what you should be eating. Drop 500 calories from that to lose a pound a week. It's different for everyone because it takes into account age, weight, gender, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You're not eating nearly enough. You're starving your body.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Unless you're incredibly tiny, you're probably not eating enough.
  • annalicous
    annalicous Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try eating 1,200 calories a day and going to the gym 4 times a week for a while and see how it goes.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    You're not eating nearly enough. You're starving your body.

And when you starve your body, it hoards any calories you do eat. Eat at least 1,200/day or your body simply isn't going to be able to function properly. It may seem like a lot, but you'll get used to it and your body will thank you later.
  • kaoshavoc
    Options
    Oddly, sometimes under eating can cause weight gain, as your body has many ways in which to reduce the amount of calories it uses, and how many calories you actually get out of the foods you eat. In your case you might actually want to talk to a professional since you do eat so few and still gain. They may have a much better way to get you out of that survival metabolism. Also over exercising can be bad too, as I have a friend who does, he lost about 200 pounds, has about 200 more to go, but he works out 2-8 hours a day and is staying solid in his weight, his body has reacted and learned how to do what he does on less calories. Craziness.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough at all. You are going to screw your metabolism all up. the 1400 a day without a workout may have been too much but I'm guessing about now it would be perfect.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Another thing - what are you doing as exercise? Are you doing just cardio? If so, consider adding some weight training - it actually burns fat more efficiently and more quickly than cardio does. You don't look grossly overweight to me, so maybe focus more on toning...
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    900 total?

or 900 net?

I often net around 800 calories with exercise and I don't feel starved, I lose at a reasonable pace, am strong. etc.

Edit: Today my net intake was 704 calories.

My actual calorie consumption was 1690. (I exercise a lot).
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Go with what works for you. 1200 isn't a magic fit everyone number. I generally eat between 900-1100 cals a day and hardly ever eat back my exercise cals, unless I am actually hungry.

I know this can be a contraversal topic and I will not argue with any one about this - this is based on what works for me
  • Jennilvmp
    Options
    Hi I am new and I am trying to figure out how you post ur highest, current and goal weight! I see everyone posting in green writing but I can not figure out how! HELP!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. Tell him. He should suggest a blood test for hypothyroidism. (Don't worry, there's medicine for that.) I wish I did much earlier.
  • Athena413
    Options
    See your doctor. Tell him. He should suggest a blood test for hypothyroidism. (Don't worry, there's medicine for that.) I wish I did much earlier.

I don't see how this is relevant to the question at all...
  • Athena413
    Options
    Hi I am new and I am trying to figure out how you post ur highest, current and goal weight! I see everyone posting in green writing but I can not figure out how! HELP!

Up at the top you should see "Home" "Recent Posts" etc....click on "Signature" and you can change what shows up at the bottom of all your posts.
  • Jennilvmp
    Options

Up at the top you should see "Home" "Recent Posts" etc....click on "Signature" and you can change what shows up at the bottom of all your posts.

Thank you!
  • Aneilson13
    Aneilson13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of cardio and strength training, and I want to lose about 20 pounds and tone!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Brutal honesty here:

Your diary is all over the place. Hard to tell what you've been taking in.

You may be measuring too often and not allowing for averaging.

It is easy to eat a few meals and weigh at the wrong time to see a few pound difference.

Human body cycles are much slower than daily readings allow for.

You need a long term plan and for MFP friends to aid they will need your stats.

Start a plan that follows guidelines by an expert (read: Doctor, etc) and try stick to it..

It is called fast food because it is made fast. The coming and going of it is gradual.

And don't give a damn what non-experts think (boy-friends, girl-friends, partner, spouse, stranger, best friend, priest, pope, parents, children), it's YOUR body - please take care of it !!!

That said, an accountability partner may also be of help and there are many willing parties on the web site so you are in the right place.

I have a good safety-net being built on MFP and a kick in the bum is as good as a hi-5 sometimes.
  • Aneilson13
    Aneilson13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My net is about 900. I always allow myself to go over 900 if I'm going to exercise that day and burn a lot of it off.
  • hangelgirl
    hangelgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It doesnt sound like you are eating enough and putting yourself into starvation mode. I took a peek at your food diary. I would suggest to eat breakfast every morning within the first hour that you wake even if it just a bite of something. this kickstarts your metabolism. then next thing is to get a balance of fruits, veggies ,and milk/yogurt. Stay away from the high FATs like the doritos or chips, fast foods. convient foods. when you are making your own foods literally weigh your proteins and measure everything. WATER is a important key as well...Eat healthy! :)
  • singingcoyote
    Options
    I was just told yesterday by a dietician that women should not eat under 1200 calories. The body thinks it's starving and stores fat. She told me goal of 1200-1400.