High Protein and sleep problems/headaches

MerinneW
MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
I have begun trying to increase my protein intake and reduce carbs. Protein sources mainly greek yoghurt, nuts, eggs, canned tuna and roast chicken. Still learning how to eat differently and if I can't think of/didn't plan a meal I'm defaulting to omelette. Diet is also quite high in fat noe because of yoghurt/eggs/nuts, so not sure what is causing the issue really.

Since going higher protein my sleep has gone to total cr*p. I am tossing and turning all night long, can't settle. Waking up exhausted with a headache.

Is this usual? online seems to suggest protein = better sleep, but some articles suggests otherwise and that it increases restlessness.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so is there any way to mitigate it? I'm mostly changing my diet because I'm tired of feeling rubbish, tired and weak - Once I get going I feel OK but I miss my sleep and I wake up so tired with a banging headache!

In other news I seem way more susceptible to alcohol now - I usually have a beer or glass of wine or two each weekend night, but this weekend I've felt very drunk on that and had a hangover after which is unusual. Connected?

Any advice from people who know more about macros/sleep than me hugely appreciated!

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Maybe it's change in general, and your desire for change, which is causing stress?
  • MerinneW
    No, I don't think so, I'm not stressed.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,758 Member
    If your carb intake is very low, you might be experiencing 'keto flu': headaches and sleep issues are known possible symptoms. Try increasing your intake of salt/electrolytes and see if that helps.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,539 Member
    edited January 22
    Even though protein is good, a big sudden change in diet may not be.
    I would look to carbs as the problem, not protein or fat. If you've cut them drastically, you're probably dehydrated. Carbs naturally cause your body to retain water. Take them away and you may have a quick weight loss. Water, not fat. Try some electrolytes and consider lowering protein and fat a little to allow room for a few carbs.
    Sleep is very important!!
    I just read another post of yours. It said you like vegetables, and your problem is snacking. Why not combine them. Keep lots of your favorite veg handy and snack away. Celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. All very healthy and probably under 200 calories snacking all day long. Get the cookies, cake, etc. out of sight and out of reach.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Yes, as Lietchi said lower carbs means water leaves your body. For every gram of glycogen released that's also three grams of water released. If you're a bit dehydrated, that would affect your sleep and induce headaches.
  • MerinneW
    Thank you guys! More water, electrolytes, and a bit more carby veg then.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,943 Member
    You haven't by any chance reduced caffeine intake, have you? That's a recipe for headaches. Admittedly, that would tend to improve rather than disrupt sleep, but sometimes sleep has rebound weirdness for a while.

Also, how fast have you been losing weight? Losing weight too fast causes disruption to a lot of physiological systems, potentially including sleep. If losing more than 0.5% of current weight per week, slowing that down is another potential thing to try if more carbs, water, electrolytes doesn't improve the situation.