Really Frustrated and hopeless!!!!

Options
I am extremely frustrated with food. I am a compulsive overeater. I am addicted to food and I am so frustrated with the battle. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop eating when cravings strike and when I am feeling despair and hopelessness? I am so tired of the fight!

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Instead of reaching for food, walk away from it. Go outside or the gym to get some workout done.
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    try going to an overeaters anonnymous meeting in your area.. or google "OA" and join an online meeting. I think that's a good way to start.. i suffer also from compulsive overeating and bingeing.. my doctor put me on the right medications to help my depression, bipolar dissorder and anxiety and i haven't binged or had obsessive food thoughts for months now. it seems to all be working out. have you thought about consulting a therapist??
  • eag1916
    eag1916 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love watching the Biggest Loser on NBC and listening to what the trainers say. They want the people to own up to their choices and make the changes needed both mentally and physically. It is really motivating to me!! When you feel tempted, ask why you're eating and what mood you're in. Then try something else to distract you. If anything, drink a glass or two of water and give yourself a little time. The water will help you fill up and you won't feel frustrated! Try to distract yourself, keep your eyes on the prize, and don't lose hope!
  • jacquehafner
    Options
    There is a pod cast called Inside out Weight Loss, by Renee Stephens. She is really good in helping to overcome things like compulsive overeating and binging. Listening to her has given me a lot of insite on some of my behaviors. I hope you can listen to them. I like to listen to her on my morning walks. Good luck to you.
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Why are you feeling hopeless and worthless?? I have a lot of hope for you, and I happen to know that you are worth A LOT!! :wink:
    When you realize that you are "worth it", it will be a lot easier to fight those urges! You are worth SO MUCH!! I know it!!!
  • Jbugs26
    Options
    Some helpful things I do... I pre measure my food out before hand into contains or baggies. If I am eating straight from the bag or box I don't know when to stop. Also try to think before you eat. I try to say something to myself, like " a moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips" when I'm eating so I consciously think about my weight am how I won't loose any eating an entire box of cookies. It seems/ sounds kind of silly but it helps me. I hope that helps a little!
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love food, I'm married to a chef and have had to find ways to make it so that I can go to the restaurant and enjoy time with friends, but still deal with losing weight. It can be done, but it's an uphill battle for a while. One thing that I did was to give myself a cheat day each week. Every Sunday I would eat whatever I wanted and didn't track it. It helped me stay on track all week long because I knew I could keep it together until then. After a month or so, I didn't want to eat like crazy on Sundays and I didn't want all the junk food either. I knew that if I just deprived myself of what I loved, I wouldn't be able to do it, so I didn't. That's how I have been able to succeed. Also, when I fall off, it's a A LOT easier to get back because I'm not on a diet. I'm just eating better. Also, I would come up with recipes that would satisfy my cravings for the bad for me stuff. Putting a couple of the Laughing Cow wedges with a little skim milk into some pasta with lots of veggies makes a great substitute for mac n' cheese, for instance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am extremely frustrated with food. I am a compulsive overeater. I am addicted to food and I am so frustrated with the battle. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop eating when cravings strike and when I am feeling despair and hopelessness? I am so tired of the fight!
    I would visit a therapist on addiction and see if that's the real issue.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    GUM. I am addicted to it. It is awesome and much less calories than most snacks.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Well this might not be the answer that you want to hear but it is going to take hard work and dedication. The tools and the community here on MFP are very helpful but when it all comes down to it, you are the one that has to be committed to changing. You did not get to where you are today and you certainly won't reach your goals in one day. If you take it one day at a time and commit to making a lifestyle change then you can reach your goals. Don't give up on yourself. Everyone is here for similar reasons. We are looking to make a change, lose weight, and live healthier.

Feel free to add me to your friends list. I too used compulsively overeat, especially at night. I reached 385lbs when I realized that I needed to make a change. I am only a month into my journey but I am already seeing changes. I log on everyday and I make sure to log everything I am eating using the calorie counter. I have learned so much about portions by using the the calorie counter and I can easily see what I am doing right and wrong. The people that I have met on MFP have been very friendly and motivational.

Good luck!

Greg
  • kcputtytat
    kcputtytat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragemnt and ideas. :wink: I was extremely down last night and it is nice to see that people respond when I cry out..
    Funny thing is I lead a group for compulsive eaters. You may not understand this but I am a Christ Follower and I firmly believe in spiritual warfare. I think that is part of what I am dealing with. The other part is my own love of food and how it makes me feel when I am eating it. The temporary fix and not focusing on the permanent fix. I know that God loves me and that I am his child and I have been wonderfully made and designed by his hands.
    Thank you again for all your help! I can not tell you what an encouragement it is to me!