Women over 60 trying to lose weight and get fit and healthy

Options
Happy New Year! Are there any women on here that fit the above criteria who would like to work together?

Replies

• sonyamessenger
    sonyamessenger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm not "over 60", but feel like it most days. Does that count? LOL
    I'm soon to be 59, and want to connect with others on my journey!
  • anitamcmillen
    anitamcmillen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That works! Welcome,
  • WLWGranny
    WLWGranny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I fit that criteria! Just returned to MFP a few weeks ago. I have never checked out the community the other times. I'm sure this will help
  • anitamcmillen
    Options
    I hope so! I found this sight on YouTube called SeniorShape Fitness. I have been doing her workouts. I just love her. I have a lot of joint issues and I can always modify these workouts so I can do them.
    I also am trying to make sure I get more protein. I know there are scientific reasons that we need more as we age, I am just trying to feel satiated mostly at this point.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    let's go for it
  • Sharonimo55
    Sharonimo55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Anita. I'm "only" mid 50s (well will turn 56 in a few months) but I hear the 60s knocking on my door! I want to be slimmer, fitter and healthier by the time I reach my sixties! Have sent you a friend request. Best wishes, Sharon. x
  • LIBRANURSE
    LIBRANURSE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello I am libranurse 62yrs old. I would the support of this group
  • LIBRANURSE
    LIBRANURSE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a member of MFP for awhile, still trying to navigate it. I am more consistent with logging but I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. If cannot find a meal in search should I log the ingredients individually?
  • anitamcmillen
    Options
    Yes, you have to log your your ingredients individually and and store your own meals. :)
  • anitamcmillen
    Options
    Sharon, I tried accept your friend request and couldn't for some reason. I think this site is difficult to navigate personally, but I am trying. If I don't answer sometimes it's not because I'm ignoring people, I'm still learning.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Sharon, I tried accept your friend request and couldn't for some reason. I think this site is difficult to navigate personally, but I am trying. If I don't answer sometimes it's not because I'm ignoring people, I'm still learning.

i love MFP, but it can be pretty buggy. for a couple days, i had trouble accepting friend requests.

btw, i'm a 66 year old woman (where did all those years go?), and i'm working more on building strength and overall fitness after coming back from some injuries and losing 100 pounds.

anitamcmillen, if you have questions, you can send me a message.
  • Tessysworld
    Tessysworld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Anita I turn 61 in a couple of months and the struggles are real!! Winter is even harder being cooped inside more.. the stepping videos are great I use Leslie Sansone's video on YouTube she is wonderful as well..happy stepping!! 🙂
  • zebasschick
    Options

i had to accept your friend request this morning more than once - the first time, i got a 404 error. MFP is a very good tool, but it's always been buggy.
  • anitamcmillen
    Options
    I hope we can all figure it out and figure out ways to help each other, even if it’s just from this group. @Tessysworld I have been doing exercises from SeniorShape Fitness. She has different exercises routines for just about anything you feel like taking on.
  • anitamcmillen
    Options
    o2hj3d7zgm9u.jpeg Apple Pie Cheesecake Bowl. 1 cup 4% cottage cheese. 1 rockit mini apple 1 tablespoon Truvia sweet complete. 1/2 scoop Body Fortress Vanilla Protein Powder. Dash of cinnamon. Decadent and filling!
  • stressremovers
    stressremovers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in the 60's club ;o)
    I have been logging stuff, but did have some issues trying to find exercises in the database which could be equated to doing massages (I am a massage therapist). I ended up adding some separate things in to a routine and then I found a website which said how many cal/massage. I was pretty close, haha.
    My goal is 20 pounds & just trying 1/2 lb/week. Went up a lb so far and have been eating below calories alotted. :o(
  • Sheilra
    Sheilra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 64 yr old retired nurse. I used MFP a number of years ago with good results, and I'm ready to give it a go again, and could use some community and encouragement. I'd love to join your group.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    Hi I am in the 60's club ;o)
    I have been logging stuff, but did have some issues trying to find exercises in the database which could be equated to doing massages (I am a massage therapist). I ended up adding some separate things in to a routine and then I found a website which said how many cal/massage. I was pretty close, haha.
    My goal is 20 pounds & just trying 1/2 lb/week. Went up a lb so far and have been eating below calories alotted. :o(

do you wear a fitness tracker to track your heart rate when giving massages? if it's usually similar, you could create your own database entry after calculating calorie burn via heart rate.
    Sheilra wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 64 yr old retired nurse. I used MFP a number of years ago with good results, and I'm ready to give it a go again, and could use some community and encouragement. I'd love to join your group.

hi there, and welcome back to MFP :smile:
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,909 Member
    Options
    Hi there. 65 and in maintenance since 2017. My main focus is strength and fitness as that seems REALLY hard to keep up with. I also notice recovery takes longer both cardio and muscle which annoys me to no end because I hate rest days. I started doing small 10 min arm/back weight session videos every other day last August and I think it has helped even tho it doesn't seem like much. I had several back muscle injuries very painful early last year which kept me from playing tennis. So just checking in and seeing what everyone else is seeing in this decade....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    I'm 68, quite active, used MFP and lost 50-some pounds at age 59-60 (class 1 obese to a healthy weight) and have been at a healthy weight since. There's no magic hack - sadly! - but committing to the goal, following a sensible (not too extreme) process, and sticking with it patiently . . . IMO, that will work.

I'm cheering for you to succeed, because IME the results are more than worth it!

I'm with @SummerSkier that I'm not as resilient in my 60s as I was decades back, so planning recovery into my routine and avoiding extremes is very important.

Best wishes, all!