Don't be fooled

Options
2»

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I always think that when people say, "I can cook better tasting food at home", you are going to the wrong restaurants.

I don't eat out often, so when I do, I make sure it's a special treat, and something I would have no chance of making at home. I seek out ethnic foods that I would have no idea how to make or where to find ingredients, or fine dining that uses techniques that I am not trained in or equipment I don't have.

And OF COURSE you can cook any restaurant dish cheaper at home. Restaurants don't charge the cost of the ingredients, obviously. You are paying for all the overhead costs associated with a meal being cooked for you.

I really don't understand all the negativity around restaurant prices. They charge what they have to.

There are for sure some things I can't cook at home as well as some restaurants. For sure a restaurant has to make money, so they have to charge for labor, rent, and the like. If I had gone into the business, I would have been a third-generation restaurateur. Fortunately I saw what my dad and his dad went through with their businesses and avoided it. I worked in plenty of restaurants though.

What's really sad is going to a restaurant that should be good, ordering something that might be difficult to make at home, and have it come out poorly made. I recall going to a local place that was a vegan restaurant that... also served salmon and NY steaks. Yeah. I know. Anyway, they had a nice wood-fired oven. I went with a friend. She wisely ordered the salmon. But since they were a "vegan" place, I got an Indian themed cauliflower dish. It was bland and mushy. Very sad.

They retooled eventually and started making good pizza, but they never were able to get good service.

There's another local place that I've heard very many good things about. It's beyond my price range, so I won't be able to find out. I walked by and looked at the menu. I'm sorry, but twenty bucks for shrimp and grits is usury.

Oh, for sure it's upsetting when you have a bad meal or bad experience, especially if it's on the pricier side.

I eat out so rarely (maybe 5-6 times a year, excluding vacations), if I have a bad experience, that restaurant is dead to me. No "maybe they had an off night" or "maybe I'll give them another chance." No...nope....one strike and you're out for me.

I try to get restaurant recommendations from my brother, who is a fine dining executive chef. I guess he's the reason I'm touchy about restaurant-shaming, haha!
  • nigeypiggy
    nigeypiggy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    If it swims, crawls, runs or is grown from dirt I eat it. No humans' cats or dogs though... :)

If it is processed, I steer clear of it. Except for cheese. Can't seem to get away from it... lol

Eh..... Humans? haha