Supermarket woe

Options
Shopping at the weekend in T**** I wanted to buy some chicken thighs in bulk for a big curry I wanted to make. I noticed that a majority of the frozen chicken is from Germany. They are all covered by EU regs which is a relief.
T**** Red tractor (British meat) is labelled as 100% chicken as before but the protein is only 22%. It was 29% last time I wanted some frozen. Some chicken is even less value protein I was shocked. Not all butchers are affordable but I would only get my meat from a good quality butcher if we could afford to.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    edited January 23
    Options
    My guess is that the chicken might be plumped up with water or other fluids. Sometimes this is used to increase weight at lower meat cost, at other times to add stuff that makes rubbish meat more tender or to add some flavours. In any case you'd end up with a pan of fluid. Stay away from Dutch supermarket meat. They're notorious for that.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    We started to raise our own meat birds. So my chicken is from my back yard and mighty tasty I must say! :)
  • nigeypiggy
    nigeypiggy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    My guess is that the chicken might be plumped up with water or other fluids. Sometimes this is used to increase weight at lower meat cost, at other times to add stuff that makes rubbish meat more tender or to add some flavours. In any case you'd end up with a pan of fluid. Stay away from Dutch supermarket meat. They're notorious for that.

Thanks, sadly I am fully aware of the incredible things that food manufacturers can get up to and still label food fit for human consumption.
  • nigeypiggy
    nigeypiggy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    We started to raise our own meat birds. So my chicken is from my back yard and mighty tasty I must say! :)

That's Awesome with a capital "AWE"