Um...now what do I do?

Options
Alright, so I am trying really hard to get only 1200 calories in every day.

So far today, I have eaten 554 calories, and I went running for 15 minutes and went on the eliptical for 35 minutes, so I burned 517 calories, which leaves me with another 1,163 calories to eat today and its already almost 7:30pm!!

I know everyone on this site stresses that you should eat all of your calories - what should I do?!

Replies

• kitty1256
    Options
    Alright, so I am trying really hard to get only 1200 calories in every day.

So far today, I have eaten 554 calories, and I went running for 15 minutes and went on the eliptical for 35 minutes, so I burned 517 calories, which leaves me with another 1,163 calories to eat today and its already almost 7:30pm!!

I know everyone on this site stresses that you should eat all of your calories - what should I do?!
  • nicole0177
    Options
    idk i think that its a big deal if you dont eat all ur calories because you lose weight with the less you eat and eating all your calories is the healthy way to do it!!! But i eat prob about 600 cals a day and im losing weight that way so i wouldnt stress about it. and its only one day!!!!
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow - what are you eating in a full day that only amounts to 600 calories?

Are you sure it's healthy to eat so few?
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    I typically stick with the original 1200 calories reguardless of what exercise I'm doing. Unless I feel like I'm starving then I go ahead and use some of the extras. But, you don't have to.
  • nicole0177
    Options

Im just so busy all day with school and work and other things and i have to miss meals so i dont have time to sit down and eat all my calories. So i probably eat one real meal a day!!! which probably isnt to healthy but working.
  • crystalicfusion
    Options

Seriously, I agree...You need to figure out a way to eat at least a little more
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    The dietician I saw said that no matter if you work out or not I should eat the same amount of calories every day. I don't follow that this site says you should eat the amount of calories you burn on top of the calories you normally eat. So if you just stick to 1200 no matter how much you work out, you will be fine, as long as you eat the 1200.

If my doctor, dietician and trainer all say the same thing, then I think they are pretty right :wink: Try that approach instead of trying to eat more.
  • mbrownky
    Options
    I've been told don't eat a big meal after 7pm, if your hungry, have a snack like a apple w/peanut butter or some veggies. I wouldn't worry about not eating all your calories.
  • jammergirl99
    Options
    kitty1256,

I'd suggest eating more nuts - they are good for you and high in calories. Try eating an apple w/2 tablespoons of peanut butter.. total cals about 260 depending on how big your apple is... or try eating trail mix.. 3 tablespoons is about 300 cals.. again, not a lot of food, but a lot of calories, and the nuts are a great source of protein..

good luck!
    Jess
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    The dietician I saw said that no matter if you work out or not I should eat the same amount of calories every day. I don't follow that this site says you should eat the amount of calories you burn on top of the calories you normally eat. So if you just stick to 1200 no matter how much you work out, you will be fine, as long as you eat the 1200.

If my doctor, dietician and trainer all say the same thing, then I think they are pretty right :wink: Try that approach instead of trying to eat more.

That's interesting, my doctor told me the exact opposite. And the owner of our gym (who is also a certified trainer) backed it up, Hmmm. Innnnnteerrreesssting. Did they give you reasons why to keep it the same?
    My doctor was explicit about the fact that if you exercise you burn more calories, and you should intake more calories to compensate.
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was trying to drop a hint with my last post...

ALL OF YOU...RUN to the BMR calculator.

You're all smart women, do a bit of research... this way of life is not healthy for you and will not sustain long term. By eating so few calories (600!) you are doing more damage than good.

Joanna, Vivikay, Cheryl, Banks... help them!
  • nicole0177
    Options

You're all smart women, do a bit of research... this way of life is not healthy for you and will not sustain long term. By eating so few calories (600!) you are doing more damage than good.

Its not everyday that i eat 600 just when im busy when i have time i consume 1200 calsa day it just depends on the day. i was just trying to tell her one day being under her cals isnt going to hurt her.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

That's interesting, my doctor told me the exact opposite. And the owner of our gym (who is also a certified trainer) backed it up, Hmmm. Innnnnteerrreesssting. Did they give you reasons why to keep it the same?
    My doctor was explicit about the fact that if you exercise you burn more calories, and you should intake more calories to compensate.

Yep, me too on the "trainer, nutritionist and naturopath" told me to eat more.

And as far as being "too busy" to eat, well the busier I am the more calories I need. It just takes no time at all to eat 15 walnuts halves, which is around 200 calories.
  • kitty1256
    Options
    its not like I didn't eat today! hehehe

i had oatmeal for breakfast, 2 scrambled eggs for lunch, and a salad with poppyseed dressing (not low-fat or low-calorie or anything) for dinner.

i'm making some french fries right now. why? well, i haven't had any in a looooong time, and I figure that since I have so many calories left, I might as well waste some of them on some french fries. =)
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Not to sound too harsh here, but god helps those that help themselves. We've done the posts, we've bumped the posts, we've talked to trainers and dieticians and doctors (oh, my) and then shared all our hints for free. We live in an age of information, where everyone can do their own research. I'm beginning to guess if some choose to ignore the information, or come to their own conclusions. . .it's hard to change their minds.
  • kitty1256
    Options
    a question about the BMR thing-

sorry....i'm somewhat new to the site and i'm sure this has been answered a million times.

the BMR is the amount of calories that I would need to maintain my current weight, with no exercising, right?

so wouldn't I want to eat less than that to loose weight? or am i completely wrong?
  • laurajoyk
    Options

Yep, me too on the "trainer, nutritionist and naturopath" told me to eat more.

And as far as being "too busy" to eat, well the busier I am the more calories I need. It just takes no time at all to eat 15 walnuts halves, which is around 200 calories.

The trainer I saw like 4 years ago said to eat more. But I have to agree with what these guys told me. They say that if you allow yourself to eat more every time you work out, you most likely aren't going to see any changes. People tend to say that they have worked out a lot more than they actually did, like oh I did 20 crunches, so now I can eat a bunch more food. Its giving you an excuse to go off your goal every day. If you stick to your daily goal of 1500 (thats mine per my doctor) then you won't feel the need to "cheat" if you "exercise"
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    About the BMR. Um. You're completely wrong.

The BMR is the "basal metabolic rate", what your body needs to run itself if you stayed in bed all day long and did nothing.

You should never, in my opinion, in my doctor's opinion, in my trainer's opinion and in my naturopath's opinion, eat below your BMR.
  • nicole0177
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you just laid in bed all day!!! without any activity.
  • kitty1256
    Options
    so what you are saying.......

is i should eat more

and i will loose weight.