Home Workouts vs Gym?

Options
I'm scared that I won't get the same workout that I do at home that I do at the gym, however I feel like I'm wasting money on the membership bc I only use it MWF only if I don't have to work, which averages out to 15 days a month.

Sooo, whaddya think home vs the gym?

What do you need to have a successful home workout system?

I have access to Cox On Demand Fitness workouts,
a treadmill with no incline
and stability ball (that needs to be replaced bc I think it's too small for me or maybe it just needs air ...)
& 3lb weights.

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    one word: kettlebells

seriously, I won't be renewing my gym membership next spring. I plan on the video workouts plus walking a lot and riding my bike.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I made that choice today but am already accustomed to running around the area. If you would like to improve your cardio/running might be a great time and opportunity for ya to do so.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If youre trying to just stay fit, some bodyweight exercises would be plenty (lunges, pushups, situps, squats) to keep muscle and help you stay toned.

If you wanted to build a bit more muscle, you'll need more weights or added resistance.

There's guides online for working out at home without equiptment. They suggest using things like books, heavy cans, a backpack full of something heavy, ect. in a variety of exercises.

That stability ball alone would yield 20+ exercises I would think.

You just gotta start getting creative. There's tons of stuff you can use lying around.

Out at camp I used 40L jugs of water, boat anchors, rigged up some ropes to do pullups and inverted rows.

I prefer doing it at home for many reasons.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to have gym memberships but after my knee injury I had to cancel them for lack of use.

2 things happened:

1) I saved $65/month (that's $780 a year!)
    2) I got creative with not only my diet, but home workouts as well

I'm not saying that the gym is a bad thing, but if you are the type of person who can do it at home and be creative and stick with it - it works just as well as isn't as time consuming.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thats what I am contemplating as well (I might have just made up my mind as I type this!). My sessions with my PT ended in Sept 7th, and I haven't been back at the gym. I have started doing JM 30 day shred,. walking/running for 30min to an hour and some Zumba. Although my gym membership is paid in full until April,. I really don't feel the need to go back. I have seen better results now than the past months spent at the gym. I personally like that I have most of what I need right now at home. Saves money on gas, my kids get to see their mommy workout and hopefully I am planting that little seed in them by letting them see me and taking them on my walks. My gym was a small one that didn't provide workout classes, day care so I am not missing it that much. Oh, and I really don't miss that creepy guy that kept staring at me while I was running on the treadmill!
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight here at MFP without the gym....love the Leslie Sansone walking videos, very cheap to buy...you can get some "advanced" ones with the walk and jog mix, I put on my mp3 player with motivating music and away I go...30 Day Shred has given me good results, that dvd is very cheap to buy as well...I just bought a compact elliptical off craigslist, nice workout and burn there...look on craigslist, people are practically giving away exercise equipment because they don't use it....I don't think people need gym memberships, I wanted one at first but I don't need it! Getting creative makes things fun!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Last year my club membership cost me 10,000 dirhams ($3000) and when it came up for renewal I gave it a miss. I bought a cross trainer plus kettlebells for much less than the 10,000 and I use them almost every night...and they'll last longer than a year! You just have to get yourself into a routine. I get home from work and do my workout before my evening meal .... going to the gym has it's benefits but I LOVE my mini home gym I don't need anything else. I have even worked out in my pj's on weekend mornings.....can't do that in the gym!!! :smile:
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can also download INSANITY onto your computer and do it at home.

I think I might do that tonight and just alter the exercises to accomodate my new knee!

Good luck with your journey.
  • Sandy9586
    Sandy9586 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You just got to mix it up and change things up so your body doesn't suffer from muscle memory. So try different exercise videos and try some out door running, walking, biking etc. I do a mix of at home, gym and outdoor activities. I lost my first 50 pounds of weight just running in place and now I incorporate videos to mix it up. Just remember that it's all about moving your body and doesn't matter where you do. ;)
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to your own personal motivation, with that you can achieve anything...
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I tried home gym, but I got too lazy. My elliptical became a clothe hanger in 3 months. Only thing that works for me consistently is going to group fitness classes. I take cardio kickbox 3 times, and body works w/ abs 2 times per week. This forces me to work out and see people too. :smile:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership. I had a treadmill that I started running on then when it got too hot I found the Nike Training Club app on my phone. I also use bodyrock.tv.
    I only have 10 lb dumbbells, a 10 medicine ball, a 5lb medicine ball and my own bodyweight. I've lost 5" off my waist and 23lbs total. I have never stepped foot into a gym ever.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    Reading a book right now that I got at the Library - "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark. Its full of bodyweight exercises and using household equiptment in place of weights.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I would definitely choose the gym...but that's 'cause I get classes there, and have no equipment at home.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    unless you are at the level of fitness where bodyweight exercises are not a challenge, you can do a lot with what you ahve right now.

lunges/jumping lunges, various kinds of squats, pushups and various kinds of plank exercises (for example, plank on your hands then down on left elbow, right elbow, then back up on left hand, right hand <-- can also do the same basic thing from a kneeling to standing position and back down, its a lot more strenuous than it sounds). Lots of good stuff to do with the ball too (do inflate it though).

And once this stuff is easy you can add the 3 lb weights to most of it (well not the pushups).

You'll probably need to get 5lbs and 8lbs to do things like flys (on the ball!), rows, chest presses, and bicep curls (I like 21s look up videos online).

I have a gym membership and its a waste, I hardly use it at all. I prefer to walk/run outside, and I prefer bodyweight and dumbbell workouts to the machines. The only thing I use the gym for is the variety of weights I need, now that I need 10s, 12s, and 15s (and sometimes 20s....) and I don't own those weights yet. I also like to use the weighted medicine ball there but you don't NEED them.

Still all said you could probably build uip a nice "home gym" that will give you months of good exercises for 100-150 bucks depending on how lucky you get on craigslist.

As soon as I finish moving into my house that is what I am going to do and then my gym membership is buhbye.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh and there is also a video somewhere online of a guy using the edge of a table to do inverted rows - I don't have a good table for that but you might.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I do both because I LOVE TO SWIM at the YMCA. I appreciate being able to get out of the house and I just love swimming. I also walk a lot in the neighborhood and may eventually start jogging. More than anything else lately, though, I've been doing home workouts because it is so convenient and I have been working LONG hours. Ripped in 30 is a GREAT all around workout = strength, cardio, and a little stretching. You don't need to spend money at a gym just to do a cardio or strength workout. At home you are not limited to hours or space.

When I started, joining the YMCA (very affordable by the way), I made it a reward (after exercising 3-5 days per week for 3 months). After I showed myself that I was committed, then I joined.

I also hope to try to classes soon.

You can join a gym anytime. Start working out NOW!
  • chunkyme
    chunkyme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Working out at home works best for me because I have 3 kids and no time for a gym!

So I purchased all types of workout series Like: Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Zumba ( well all of the Zumba Series), Brazilian Butt Lift DvD's Etc... I have so many now! It's crazy! I'm a bit obsessive when it come to buying fitness things!! LOL

But I've already lost 30lbs before I joined this site and I have around 32lbs to go until I reach My 135lbs goal!

So you could invest that gym money on a set of dvd's that you think may suit your workout needs!

I really hope this helps!
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    That just made up my mind. Invest in equipment to use at home and create a schedule. My bodyweight alone should cause me enough hassle to give me a good workout for a while.

Thanks for the input.
  • StefThi
    StefThi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe THIS is what you need: http://www.bodyrock.tv/
    This website is from a young couple showing you how to get fit and toned (whatever size you are) in a sensible most efficient way. I discovered them by chance about a year ago and got hooked when I lived in germany for a while and didn't have the option to go to a gym. They explain the exercised really well and always have adjustments for beginners. If you go back to earlier workouts you will see they are all without any equipment. They've recently started using swiss balls, sandbags etc... but they are really not needed....

They've got a proper workout schedule with competitions and everything on there but I never stuck to that. I picked out the workouts I liked and did about 4 a week and together with eating healthy and about 1500kcal man the weight came flying off and I actually saw my body getting firmer for the first time!

And the very best thing is that the workouts are tough but really short! varying from 4 to 30 mins! and then you are done for the day!
    Here in the UK I am a gym member but I often can't be bothered to get up and exercise because of the journey to get there...

so if you want a short, efficient workouts with visible results for FREE then check this out! They have really good recipes and nutritional information on there as well...

This is one of my favorite workouts http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/10/29/bang-bang-workout/

If you decide to try this I'd love to hear what you think about it!