Exercise from Apple Watch

lisalouc
lisalouc Posts: 6 Member
Hi,

My exercise is showing in the exercise list at the bottom but not at the top where it shows calorie goal, calories consumed - exercise = result. Why not? If it captures the info in one place why not the other?

Best Answer

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited January 24 Answer ✓
    I use the iOS app, and there can sometimes be a few minutes (or even longer) gap before it shows at the top.

Also, some gyms have signal blockers, particularly in dressing rooms. (Thanks to the “You Can’t Unsee This” lawsuit, I guess.)

The app has to have WiFi or cellular data signal to update. When I leave my gym, it can take as long as five minutes to reconnect to my signal and then there’s another five or so minutes before the exercise “moves up”, and another few minutes before my Apple Negative Calorie adjustment reflects on the net total.

You could try hitting the Sync button at the bottom of the main menu. Sometimes that moves it along. Not always. That seems to be more effective for updating steps.

Also- it won’t update mid workout either. The workout has to be started , done, and then X’d that it’s comoleted, and x’d to close the screen before it will move over.

If you forget to close it- as I often do when drying the dog, hanging leash and taking off rain boots, like this morning, or mid swim when. I stopped to talk to another swimming class classmate Sunday- your watch will detect change or lowered activity and will vibrate to see if you’re done or need to hit “pause”. It won’t update until you’ve confirmed if you’re done or not.

Answers

• lisalouc
    lisalouc Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for your response! I think I figured out what the issue was. If I go to the … next to exercise at the bottom, there is an option to not have the exercises alter the calories.(make an adjustment) That was on. If I click that off, it will show the number of calories exercise has been completed and will change the number for the calorie goal. So I guess I need to decide do I want that calorie goal to change or is it better to do the math myself to figure out if I’m under my true calorie goal?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    I find it easier and more informative to have it show the net up top. But that’s just me.

Find what works for you.

When I first started weight loss, I had a flat, per day calorie goal, didn’t eat exercise calories back, and wasn’t interested in the net. As I lost weight I became much more active, and earned a much higher daily calorie allowance, so that net became important to me, to make sure I was eating enough to fuel myself.

Its going to be a personal choice, whatever you’re comfortable with.

Also, you need to decide if you want the Apple negative calorie adjustment turned on.

ukm320t0ejt2.jpeg

It’s very confusing. The best way to explain it is, Apple often awards duplicate calorie credit.

For example, in some classes like aquafit or cardio, or even recorded walks with the dog, Apple is busy recording “steps” during each workout you’ve started and finished on your watch.

But, in addition to those steps, it’s also recording overall calories burned during that same class.

So it’s awarding you calories for both steps and the recorded workouts. It’s double dipping.

The negative calorie adjustment goes in and removes some of that dual calorie recording.

Another interesting thing, which both my husband (he’s on MFP, too) and I noticed, our watches “learned us”. It took a month or two for them to ramp up, but accuracy increased very much once it did.

You may notice calorie burns fluctuate after a month or two with the watch. It’s not that you’re working less hard. It’s that your data has fallen into place and your watch is reading you better.

I got my watch about two months into a hundred pound weight loss. It was a godsend. It recording calories burned versus what I thought I was earning, was mind blowing and helped me connect the dots.

I often joke here, I thought a slow two or three mile walk would offset a family pack of Oreo DoubleStuff I was shocked to learn it barely covered one 2-cookie serving.

💡💡💡💡 That was when the weight started to fall off.

Much success to you. This app and the wonderful people here and the technology on my wrist, all have been life changing for me. May you experience the same!

Yah, it’s very confusing, and utterly maddening when it sometimes takes off several hundred calories but it helps with accuracy.