Nightime

Options
bensotis5
bensotis5 Posts: 1 Member
What can I do to stop myself from being eating after supper?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Some people suggest brushing your teeth. Most people don’t care to eat after doing so.

I have a dessert and a small snack and then review my calories. If there’s any left, I’ll have another small snack. Otherwise, because I’ve pre-logged and knew to expect that, I close up shop for the day.

I do needlework to keep my hands busy. My husband sometimes cleans out his Pokédex to keep himself occupied. Or we take the dog out for an evening walk.

Hot tea. Diet soda. Big glass of ice water. Homemade popsicle. Those can help.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

Are you eating enough? If you're only eating 1200 calories as a woman or 1500 as a man then this might not be enough. If you only eat this little and exercise on top then this will likely be your answer.

Are you bored at night? What could keep you busy and the boredom away?

Are you allowing yourself some snack?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have a coffee.

Or if you still plan to eat something...

I have a Quaker chocolate rice cake for "dessert". 60 cals. Or a Healthy Choice fudge bar from Costco, that's 90 cals with 5g protein. Or you could have a yogurt, that's about 100 cals and has good protein content too.
  • bondifirstaid
    bondifirstaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have a hot chocolate on low fat milk. Or take a minute to review your tracking for the day and see what you have left. It’s probably ok if you snack to make up a fruit serve or a dairy serve that you didn’t have earlier in the day. As mentioned above, maybe you’re not eating enough in the day.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just need either flavor or the action of chewing, not the food itself. You can try chewing gum to satisfy both needs, or if you only are seeking some flavor there are a variety of flavor additives you can put into water, or even something like popping into your mouth a breath mint.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    plan to have a snack after supper. save enough calories.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Fundamentally, I think you need to figure out why you eat at night. The suggestions vary depending on the reason. Are you eating because you're bored? Because you always eat at that time? Because you're doing something that you eat while you do (think movie snacks)? Are you physically hungry? Are you looking for some kind of comfort after a long day? Figure out the reason and then you can figure out a plan.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

Good options to consider from those commenting above.

In addition, how's your sleep quality/quantity? Our energy level drops as we go through the day, getting more distant from our last sleep. The body seeks energy. Food is energy. Voila, cravings! That's one potential.

High stress or over-exercise for current fitness level can also contribute to fatigue. If that's happening, non-food stress management strategies may be part of the solution.

Of course, if exercising to the point of dragging through the rest of the day, that's counterproductive in multiple ways for weight loss/maintenance. It can increase cravings, making it hard to stick with calorie goal; and it can reduce our daily life activity so we burn fewer calories (move less, rest more).