40 something year old

Options
Need to lost abdomen gut
Tagged:

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! Alas, outside of surgery, we cannot choose which body part shrinks; we can only lose body fat through intelligent diet choices, and the body will choose which body part loses the fat. Some people lose from the gut first; others can lose seemingly everywhere else yet the gut stubbornly remains. It's genetic, set at birth. All we can do is all we can do, by losing fat all over. You got this!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Firming up your tummy muscles with appropriatee excercise will also help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Posture exercise might help appearance, too: Rounded shoulders (from phone/keyboard), locked knees (from poor musculature), excess curve in low back (from poor musculature, weight of belly pulling forward), anterior pelvic tilt (top of pelvic bones forward of lower pelvic bone): Any/all of those will push belly forward and downward, making it stick out more.

Actual visceral fat - fat around the internal organs, the really bad stuff health-wise - is inside the body cavity, normally. Very excessive amounts of it will protrude, inherently, maybe.

Appearance is usually more about subcutaneous fat (outside the body cavity, between muscles and skin mostly). I'm not sure, from your OP, which of those is your main problem.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You can't target weight loss to any particular area of your body. However, I've recently started going to a yoga class and my abdomen muscles have improved in strength. So my core is better and it seems my tummy has shrunk a little from that, just a little flatter now. In addition, this exercise has improved my posture, which makes my stomach look a bit flatter, too.