Hi I am new here and wondering if anyone has any tips for post menopause weight gain.

Options
SheilaHansen1
SheilaHansen1 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 25 in Introduce Yourself
Before menopause I was able to pretty much eat whatever I wanted and if my weight did creep up it was easy to lose but now I cannot seem to get any weight off at all. Any tips?

Answers

• lawmaria
    lawmaria Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just had bloodwork and I am officially in menopause. I had perimenopause for the past few years. The weight gain and bs is bad.
  • anitamcmillen
    anitamcmillen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi. Unfortunately, weight loss does seem to go slower after menopause. Use MyFitnessPal to track calories, try to increase protein, and be consistent in your calorie deficit. Consistency is more important that cutting your calories to a number that isn't sustainable. That's a good place to start. And find a way to get some exercise every week. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Mostly what happens, in my understanding, is that we lose muscle mass as we age (unless we've been doing something to keep it), and most of us have less active lifestyles than when we were younger besides. Eating a mere 100 calories daily above our calorie burn will add 10 pounds a year. It's sneaky.

Metabolism is pretty steady from 20s into 60s, according to some recent research, so it's not that.

I'd suggest:

* Sensibly moderate calorie deficit that's reasonably easy to stick with
    * Zero crazy-restrictive eating rules
    * Strength training to build back muscle mass
    * Overall good nutrition, including adequate protein, to support the strength training
    * Conscious attention to moving more in daily life to counteract the less active lifestyle. (Ideas here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1)
    * Maybe add some enjoyable (at least tolerable/practical) exercise to increase calorie needs and improve cardiovascular health. (Keep it a moderate, manageable challenge, not punitively exhausting. Exhausting exercise is counterproductive for either fitness or weight loss.)

I lost 50-some pounds at age 59, class 1 obese to a healthy weight in just under a year. That was after 30 years previously being overweight/obese. Of course I was already in menopause (had been since age 45; triggered early by chemotherapy for cancer). I was also severely hypothyroid (but properly medicated). I'm now 68, and have been at a healthy weight for those almost 8 years since reaching goal weight.

What worked for me won't necessarily work for others: We're all unique individuals, and need tactics appropriate to our individual preferences, strengths, challenges and lifestyles. The list above is pretty much what worked for me, FWIW.

I'm cheering for you to succeed: The results are worth it!