Heavy lifting vs light, cardio v's weight training, calorie

Options
I'm reading alot recently about how women shouldn't be afraid to life heavy weights, the most effective way to sculpt your body is to lift heavy build muscle and lessen cardio.
I'm just after some info on it all really or some articles I can read, I have around 15-20 I'd like to loose but that's going by just loosing weight, I'd rather be happy with how I look and have a leanish look.
People say you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit, and that unless you loose the fat covering a muscle that you won't see it, so what are you suppose to do? The information is quite conflicting!
Do you loose weight and then build on muscle definition, or lift weights without a calorie deficit?

Replies

• rider777
    Options
    Very good question...i personally do both weights and cardio...I find it all varys person to person and what look you want!
  • illwillie
    Options
    heavy lifting with explosiveness and about 45 seconds to 1 1/2 minute rest between set burns alot of calories and build lean muscles I started out 10-12 reps for 4 weeks; 8-10 reps for weeks & than 3-5 reps going close to my max around 85% of it (lost about 20 lbs in a month lifting heavy). P.S. must used proper form to be explosive on each rep or it will be an negative set.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I heard if you have lots to lose you should do both... weights to sculpt the muscles and cardio to melt the fat away. If you don't do weights from the start, once the fat is gone, there'll be nothing there to show for it. At least if you build the muscles underneath the fat, once the fat is gone you won't have to then sculpt.

I've also read that muscle burns more that fat so you're better off building muscle because the fat will melt away faster.

For me, it's not about a final weight, it's about what I look like. So if I weigh 5kgs more than my 'healthy' weight but I look toned, I'll be happy.
  • NattieNoo
    Options
    Unfortunately Kell you need to do both weights & cardio. The weights help with the definition but the cardio helps with loosing the weight quickly. Both make your metabolism go faster but you will get more weight loss from the cardio you do. I always suggest Les Mills Body Pump for weights classes as you will easily burn a lot more calories from more weight repition than bigger weights. Plus Body Pump is guaranteed to change the shape of your body the quickest :)
    Good luck for your journey!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Personally I have always lifted heavy when I do lift. I mix it up and do jazzercise and lift heavy 2-3 days a week typically. I started with over 100 pounds to lose and I love the lean look of muscle and the definition that I have. Whatever you decide, loving or at least liking what you are doing is a bonus!
  • kell_riley
    Options
    Ok thanks guys but what about calorie deficit or maintenance? I was under the impression you can't build muscle on a deficit, so in order to improve on what I have do I need to eat maintenance cals and weight train?
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    If you plan on eating your exercise calories back it shouldn't be an issue to eat at a deficit.......because you will be refueling what you burn. I have lifted even when I had my calories out of control so as long as you are refueling with preferably protein you should be ok :)
    If you are a person who is against eating exercise cals back, I would suggest maintainence.
    I may be wrong , but I have been on maintainence for over a month and I eat my exercise back or try my best to.......I need 2650 a day to maintain.......I have an active job.
  • nattiepeach
    nattiepeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have just started a fashion design business on top of working full time, so I'm really busy. I find that I can burn calories faster doing cardio and since I have to squeeze gym in these days I find its easier to do an hour of cardio and burn about 500 calories than do weight training and burn half. So I'm doing loads of cardio and some circuit training when i find the time. At the moment my aim is to lose weight and just burn calories, but I know I have to build muscle underneath for when the fat is gone. I also find it difficult to log weight training i.e. to figure out the name of each exercise i did on the database... i don't know if there is an easier way of doing it, but i just hate not know exactly how many calories i burned. Thats also why I prefer cardio, the machine tells me exactly what i burn so its easy to control.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys but what about calorie deficit or maintenance? I was under the impression you can't build muscle on a deficit, so in order to improve on what I have do I need to eat maintenance cals and weight train?
    It's practically impossible to build muscle on calorie deficit, but lifting helps to retain lean muscle and boost resting metabolic rate. Unless you see what you look like with low body fat, you may not want to build more lean muscle. It's subjective. IMO, to lose weight effectively, lift heavy and intensely, do some moderate cardio and stay in calorie deficit.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options

If you’re new to lifting, you will likely see some small gains, or at least some reshaping (toning) of the underlying muscle. The gains will be very minimal, much more to do with fluid being held in the muscle repair process. You’re certainly not going to bulk up like a body builder. However the reason you lift at this stage to protect the existing muscle that you already have. Calorie deficit & cardio without lifting will likely lead to you losing both fat and some underlying muscle. That leads to your body needing even fewer calories to maintain your weight, which is not a good road to go down.

When you have stripped your fat % down and met your goal weight or goal body fat %, then you can re-evaluate your next step. If you would like more muscle shape at that point, then you can use a small surplus and more lifting to try a clean bulk for a time.

Weight loss & maintaining it is all about periodization through the years, some fat loss phases, then maybe some muscle building, followed by some more fat loss or whatever you decide you need to do to reach your ever moving goals. What you can’t do is just reach your first goal weight and then stop… because that’s when you start to re-gain all the weight.

Lifting with Cardio gives you the best tools to not only achieve your weight and body shape goals in the near term, but to also maintain that end result in the years to come.

What lifting and Cardio to do is a whole other discussion, but I recommend you get a copy of ‘new rules of lifting for women’ I have both the men’s and women’s version on my kindle and those books are a good guide for starting things the right track.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do you loose weight and then build on muscle definition, or lift weights without a calorie deficit?

Yes… Lift on a small deficit and use some decently intense cardio at the right times to lose the fat first… Then when your lean, if you want more muscle you eat more and lift more with a bit less cardio :smile:
  • kell_riley
    Options
    Great thanks guys! I'm trying to deviate from my usual way of loosing weight and be healthier for life not just for an event lol! I'll get doing more research and workout a programme!