What's your thoughts on Shilagit? Is it a scam?

Options
Omazed
Omazed Posts: 66 Member
I have heard so much about Shilagit and I am on the fence about trying it. Has anyone got experience with it and what are your thoughts?

Replies

• liwo81
    liwo81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What would be your purpose for trying it? If you’re looking at it as a weight loss miracle pill, save your money. Many advertisers says it “supports weight loss” and that’s just sketchy. There are no miracle pills. I see on here DAILY people who’ve opted for pills and shots and lost weight, but they’re back to square one after regaining much of the weight.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The ony way to lean out and keep the weight off is to change your eating habits and apply those pretty much for life. Those supplements don't burn fat they just speed you out and your heart hates you. You can just drink some coffee for the same results.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    What's your goal in taking it?

It looks to me like that one has a long tradition in Ayurvedic medicine (and possibly other cultures' similar traditions), some interesting findings in in vitro (i.e., test tube) studies and limited animal studies, but very limited in vivo research in people. No major red flags with risks yet, that I saw on a quick read-up on it. I'm not seeing much research (or folklore) around using it for weight loss, but maybe for some other health issues.

I wouldn't take it with that little research support, personally.
  • Omazed
    Omazed Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has commented. I am thinking of taking it not for wieght loss but to BOOST up energy levels, improve sleep and reduce brain fog.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Omazed wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone that has commented. I am thinking of taking it not for wieght loss but to BOOST up energy levels, improve sleep and reduce brain fog.

If you think it's safe, that's in the zone where if it were me, I'd maybe try it (if it was affordable), keep a skeptical attitude, and see if I noticed any benefits. I've tried and dropped various supplements that way, but usually ones with more research support behind them.
  • sursupratim86
    sursupratim86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Shilajit is for boosting your testosterone and the problem is original shilajit is too costly because it is too hard to extract shilajit from the Himalayan belt. The market is flooded with cheap chemicals and duplicate products so be aware before buying.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited January 26
    Options
    It seems it can have some interactions with some medications and can cause digestional distress in some cases. So I'd check with a doctor first if considering it.

And basically...from what I can tell there really isn't much good data to suggest that it is beneficial. Most data associated with it being beneficial is anecdotal or spotty or small. But if someone else has links to good peer reviewed/reproduced studies - share!

So... I mean, the thing to think about is -- Can it harm me (talk to your doctor) and if it can't or your doctor agrees that it's low risk...seems like it can't hurt to try it out if you like.