My Fitness Pal made me gain weight...

Options

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If I read it on the internetz, it must be true...

Yes. And reading this statement on the interwebz makes it absolute, now that there's a second opinion.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That could be true...

But you know what's really stressful?

- being a big fat *kitten*,
    - feeling like a big fat *kitten*,
    - trying to find clothes while a fat *kitten*,
    - crying yourself to sleep cause you're a fat *kitten*,
    - listening to other comment on how fat your fat *kitten* is,
    - heart failure... that's stressful
    - not fitting into the booth or theater chair...... also a lil stressful...

Yeah.. that's fricken stress. MFP logging?... not so much.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    All joking aside, I will say that once upon a time I was on WW with my husband. I didn't want to do the program, I didn't enjoy working out with him, but he was forcing me in to it and well, it was just all around a bad deal. (the relationship was really bad anyway, so that made this whole thing worse) ... and I stressed the eff out every single day about every single thing I put in my mouth. I lost a ton of weight, but I gained every ounce of it back not long after he went off his WW kick. So I mean, I can see how if someone isn't enjoying their fitness journey, or they aren't doing it for the right reasons, they'll probably stress like whoa and make themselves all cortisol-y. But, really, for those of us doing this for the right reasons, for reals, we're not going to have to worry about this.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If I read it on the internetz, it must be true...

Yes. And reading this statement on the interwebz makes it absolute, now that there's a second opinion.

But but but but Google has it....that means it's TRUE. Please all mighty magic 8-ball google....give me the winning lotto numbers: search
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Wow imagine how many more that this 18 pounds I could have lost if I WASN'T using MFP :P
  • KazziaLlewellynn
    KazziaLlewellynn Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, logging hasn't stressed me it. It makes me feel great to know I'm improving. Yes I take a second look at many of the things I eat. But I'm not limited. Any kind of work can stress you out. My job is at a daycare, it is stressful, and like was said about many other things are more stressful. I don't want the parents of "my kids" wondering if I'm capable of watching their children properly because of my weight. I'm a great child care provider, I love the kids I work with, I deserve to be healthy, and so far this is the best way I've found to do it, that is practical.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Logging food is only stressful if you're making bad food choices. It is not a chore to write down what you are eating. Therefore, weight gain is due to bad food choices STILL.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you look long enough, you can find someone or something responsible for anything you disagree with or find displeasing - often with scientific studies to back it up.

Links are always good, by the way. Did you mean this article?

The 7 Laws of Leanness
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/7-laws-leanness

Thanks for that link! I looked up the top 40 super foods and most of them we like!
  • sheenades0804
    sheenades0804 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This actually made me realize how much crap I was eating. I actually look forward to planning my day, and not starting a diet every Monday. Now I think, "wow, I still can have some popcorn, or I can have 1 cookie" It has made me more accountable for my actions, be accountable to others and has made my family closer. I love MFP!!
    [/quote

I agree with you on this...
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That could be true...

But you know what's really stressful?

- being a big fat *kitten*,
    - feeling like a big fat *kitten*,
    - trying to find clothes while a fat *kitten*,
    - crying yourself to sleep cause you're a fat *kitten*,
    - listening to other comment on how fat your fat *kitten* is,
    - heart failure... that's stressful
    - not fitting into the booth or theater chair...... also a lil stressful...

Yeah.. that's fricken stress. MFP logging?... not so much.

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Being stressed about your life and logging your calories, then blaming the logging of your calories is about as logical as cutting to a 500 calorie diet and drinking pregnant lady p.... what? What's that? You're kidding! Are you serious? Really? And now it's even at Wal-Mart!?

Never mind.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ... MFP did not make you gain weight. I think you are trying to comfort yourself over your weight gain. Only you control what goes in your mouth.
  • jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I read this article. I prefer having my food choices planned out and prepared because it keeps me from hitting the cabinets and refrigerator in a frenzy and eating a bunch of stuff that goes against what I'm trying to accomplish.
    And then I have stress because I gorged on calories :drinker:
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    Your "be kinder than necessary" quote is from Mother Teresa.

Actually, according to Google....

"actually this is attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson"

:laugh:

Neither of these are correct. It was actually my supervisor that said it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I just read on Yahoo Health an article on naturally thin people and it said:

"Psychosomatic Medicine showed that tracking your diet in a food journal can actually boost your stress levels, which in turn increases your level of a hormone called cortisol, and cortisol is linked to—you guessed it—weight gain."

Of course this is not for everyone...I just had to share!
    Lol, stepping on a scale makes peoples blood pressure rise and their heart rate to increase! If a person is naturally thin, then why the hell are they tracking their food?
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    Use common sense people. If you don't have any find someone who does and use theirs !
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Funny how all studies of the same thing get different answers. WW has preached it was what helps people lose weight for years and they have much success. My doctors have always said journal what I eat. The nutritionists said journal what you eat. And my psychologist after my divorce also offered that same advice. WOW!!! Funny how I can honestly say the ONLY time I have ever had ANY success losing weight is when I journaled what I had eaten.
  • bundmoehrchen
    bundmoehrchen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, if someone is so stressed out about logging exercise and calories that they gain weight then they surely have no other problems in life.

Or those people gained muscle weight and had no idea what muscles are...

Or instead of making healthy food choices with their journal they allotted the wrong calorie count to the wrong food.

Or it's some whiny little ***** who has no life.

Personally I find it hard to even maintain my weight (let alone lose it) if I don't keep track of it to put me back on the right track, food wise. Let's hope I get back into logging, too.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    That depends on a person. For me tracking my food intake helped me a lot to be more disciplined & conscious of my eating habits.
  • ziggylove
    Options
    Practically anything in life can boost stress levels. But we all (usually) get out of bed in the mornings anyway. :)