Hair question for ladies...

Options
If you exercise daily, what do you do with yur hair in regards to washing? I have thick curly dry hair, and if I wash it every day, it's going to ruin, no matter howw much conditioner etc I use. However I'm getting quite into the exercise thing so obviously it gets a bit sweaty and icky and neeeeds washing! I can't let it dry naturally as it's so awkward... so what do YOU do? Anyone else with the same dilemma?

Replies

• farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    I have curly hair, and I wash my hair everyday, or it gets really greasy... and yes it gets frizzy.. and so on and so on.. Pantene has a really great treatment that is AMAZING.. next time you go to he store look for it in a purple package.. it really helps to restore any damage that is made by washing everyday... and who needs an excuse for a little pampering.. :)
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Dry shampooo spray its a life saver!
    You just spray the hair and it smells good and gets rid of grease!
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from!!! I also have thick curly dry hair, its really annoying. I usually give it a wash and blow dry it straight and straighten it! When i exercise i just stick a hair band round the front and when im done blast it with dry shampoo and blowdry the roots again. But i still have to wash it every 3 days at the least. :(
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I work out daily and still only wash my hair every few days. They make dry shampoos to help with oil issues and they smell great, but washing it daily makes it dry out more, it needs the natural oils to keep it healthy. I have half curly hair so if I wash it daily it just looks like a limp 80's perm that has frizzed big time. But if you don't have issues with oily hair, I wouldn't wash it every day, that only makes the dry worse...imo oh and I've heard that washing too much can make it more oily from where the body is trying to protect the scalp with the oils and makes more and more when the scalp is constatnly being washed clean of it.
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have this issue too but never thought to ask. My hair sounds a lot like yours. Sometimes I just let it go a day without washing it, but otherwise I just wash it anyway and pull it up. I dont know what else to do. I hate my hair type anyway.
  • Charrah
    Options
    Oh this is very real problem! Boys simply don't understand.
    I have really long, blonde (highlighted) hair and found washing it all the time was really doing it in. Then I discovered dry shampoo... AMAZING! Can't recommend it enough.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Its the soap that dries it out. I also have curly hair and I rinse and condition my hair if I am not due to wash it, and my hair is in good condition at present.
  • Tabbi_RN
    Options
    Oh this is very real problem! Boys simply don't understand.
    I have really long, blonde (highlighted) hair and found washing it all the time was really doing it in. Then I discovered dry shampoo... AMAZING! Can't recommend it enough.

I too have really long hair, though im a brunette...but what brand would you reccommend? How much to do you have to use on your hair?
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i got me an afro and im doing the 30 day shred at the moment so get very sweaty. i cant wash it everyday so i do twice a week, otherwise it gets so dry it breaks. i just tie it up, make sure its brushed and dried properly. then use my hair mayonnaise when i do wash it to give it a deep conditioning. its a pain and im sure most people will think im a skank but hey ho.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair about once every 4-6 days (as it needs it). I move to every 2-3 days when I exercise.
  • stripedsocks
    Options
    Duh! I always used to use dry shampoo and I just didn't think to use it in this instance! I feel silly now! Ha!
  • ennaejay
    Options
    I wash 3x a week, roughly. I rinse well and usually use conditioner daily. I have super curly hair too, it's short now, so it dries fast & doesn't bother me to have it wet (and air-dry) every day. When it was long it was a beast.

I read you can use baking soda and vinegar rinse "poo free" and that helps balance the PH of your hair so you don't have to destroy it with shampoos. http://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-shampoo-recipe/ I haven't tried this yet, though.....
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have the brazilian keratin treatment. You are supposed to only use sulfate-free shampoo with that and the less you wash the longer it lasts. Right now I'm using Trader Joe's shampoo I think it's the tea tree oil one. If there is any frizz I put a drop of jojoba oil in the ends.

So: I wash my hair twice a week. Yes I get disgusting at the gym. My hair doesn't look too nasty afterwards, and if I have some extra grease I wear a scarf or headband that hides it for another day. I think I'm going to use dry shampoo now! Anyone have a sulfate free variety?

Anyone else have the BKT? And has it affected your workouts at all? I used to swim laps for hours, but I'm worried the chlorine will strip the treatment. I had to decide...is my hair more important or my love of swimming? I chose my hair, lol.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I wash it every day. On the days it feels too dry you can use conditioner to wash. (Kind of like the idea of what Wen Cleansing Conditioner is designed to do, wash but not stip the hair.)