How often should you or do your take your measurments?

Options
I was just wondering how often should you/ do you measure yourself its kind of strange but i have never used it as a way of tracking progress and i'd like to start especially because im about to start the 30 ds

I was thinking maybe once a week ,, or should it be longer like once a month to say any substantial results

Replies

• StephW1990
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday morning and then I measure myself every 2 weeks as you will see more of a difference :)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Weigh Daily, Measurments Once a Month
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but record weekly and take my measurements on the first of every month.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Monthly is probably best. I measured monthly at first. Now that my weight loss has slowed down, it's been a couple of months. I'll probably wait to measure again til I've lost another 15 lbs. :)
  • peacefrog08109
    peacefrog08109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do my measurements every two weeks and weight once a month. I am a little obsessive and get on the scal almost daily but limit how often I record a weight.
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I take my body composition (not so much measurements) because the measurements don't tell me if I am losing fat, gaining muscle, etc. If the measurment is less but I don't know what I lost (muscle or fat), it's kind of a farce.

I check only once a month.

I also do that with my clients.

I find professionally it is more of a reasonable way of really knowing what is changing. Checking everyday could set you up because some people can tend to have water retention (especially from eating high sodium foods) and get a false read on what their composition is really doing.

The goal is to keep your lean mass or increase it which helps your body burn fat more which then reduces the size of the fat cell on top of the muscle, thus giving you a lean look.

I use eletrical impedence and calipers to get an idea of my composition.

Hope that helps.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am the worst at this. I weigh basically whenever. So some MONTHS i don't weigh at all. Then sometimes it is every 5 or so days. I would really like to be more consistent. I measure at the beginning and end of each training cycle which is usually 8-12 weeks.

Maybe I should add this to my google calender so I can see which weeks are the most effective :)
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would say monthly, or if you are doing 30ds and need a boost do it 15 days in and then 30 days... :)
  • Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would also rec taking photos once a month too - in your underwear - front & side shots.
    I did Chalean Extreme and didn't see much difference in numbers on scales or tape but you can see a difference in the photos, esp in the tummy
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and take my measurements Friday when I get off work.
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I only measure very rarely. I measured today because I just started 30DS. I thought I'd never logged measurements on here before but it turns out I did, back in March LOL. So very rarely for me.

I'll be measuring again at the end of 30DS to see any results. Then I have mini goals in my sig, i'll probably measure as I reach each of them, plus if I plateau I'll probably measure a bit more often to see if I'm losing inches rather than weight.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys im thinking the once a month thing sounds like ago lol but like some of you im a tad obessive so may have to try and stop myself doing it all the time thanks again :)