Did you get enough to eat at your goal weight, or did your food allowance make you grumpy?

Options
2»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It’s about 4 weeks later, and I think this will be my last update on this.

I weigh myself daily. Fluctuations upwards do not upset me (and I don’t fluctuate much anyway), but I realized I was subconsciously reducing my intake when the scale went up. (I do not calorie count).

So it seems this is how I was actually in a deficit while thinking I was maintaining.

As an experiment, the next time the scale went up a bit, I made a point of eating what I wanted that day anyway. I reminded myself that the worst case scenario was that I’d have to spend a month peeling off a few pounds, big deal. I know how to do it.

So I found, over a week or two, that I could just keep on keepin on when the scale went up, and sometimes it would just fall back after a few days without me doing a thing to make it happen.

I also just took a trip with limited control over when and what I ate. No weigh ins. When I returned, I was only one pound up, and that has mostly gone away on its own within a few days without any effort. And we all know that one pound is not something to even notice much less worry about.

I do not feel deprived. Two nights ago I was still hungry after dinner and had seconds. It was fine.

My weight graph finally shows a flatline.

It took a while to get here but I’m finally in maintenance 👍

Shoot I missed this until now. What a great update! That’s like a master class on how to find maintenance, well done. I bet seeing that flatline felt about as good as reaching your goal weight. Is that about a 2 lb variation do you know?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories have been variable depending on how active I am mostly. For much of my maintenance I was heavily involved in endurance cycling so I spent a ton of time on my bike and I could pretty much eat whatever and sometimes that still wasn't enough, particularly if I was making efforts to stay on the more healthful side of things most of the time.

My endurance cycling "career" pretty much came to an end with COVID and I don't have any great interest in spending that much time on the bike these days. I put on about 20 Lbs over the course of about 2 years and I've maintained that weight for going on 2 years and haven't made any significant attempts to bring it back down. My exercise consists primarily of going for a walk most days, and physical recreational activity on the weekends. My maintenance calories now are lower than they were when I was cycling 10+ hours per week, but still in the neighborhood of 2500+ calories so certainly not deprived.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

I weigh myself daily. Fluctuations upwards do not upset me (and I don’t fluctuate much anyway), but I realized I was subconsciously reducing my intake when the scale went up. (I do not calorie count).

So it seems this is how I was actually in a deficit while thinking I was maintaining.

As an experiment, the next time the scale went up a bit, I made a point of eating what I wanted that day anyway. I reminded myself that the worst case scenario was that I’d have to spend a month peeling off a few pounds, big deal. I know how to do it.

So I found, over a week or two, that I could just keep on keepin on when the scale went up, and sometimes it would just fall back after a few days without me doing a thing to make it happen.

I also just took a trip with limited control over when and what I ate. No weigh ins. When I returned, I was only one pound up, and that has mostly gone away on its own within a few days without any effort. And we all know that one pound is not something to even notice much less worry about.

I do not feel deprived. Two nights ago I was still hungry after dinner and had seconds. It was fine.

Shoot I missed this until now. What a great update! That’s like a master class on how to find maintenance, well done. I bet seeing that flatline felt about as good as reaching your goal weight. Is that about a 2 lb variation do you know?

For me, yeah, 2lbs covers it. I think 5lbs might be suitable for other people, or even 10lbs. But for whatever reason, I just don’t seem to vary all that much. I don’t go out to eat, I eat similar things day to day, I’m not a drinker, so I don’t have much reason to suddenly take on a lot of water weight from a big meal out or a night of drinking or whatever. And I guess my hormones are pretty steady too.

How’s it going for you?

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

For me, yeah, 2lbs covers it. I think 5lbs might be suitable for other people, or even 10lbs. But for whatever reason, I just don’t seem to vary all that much. I don’t go out to eat, I eat similar things day to day, I’m not a drinker, so I don’t have much reason to suddenly take on a lot of water weight from a big meal out or a night of drinking or whatever. And I guess my hormones are pretty steady too.

How’s it going for you?

That’s fantastic, it really is. Now at goal I notice more energy and stability in my everyday life. Possibly from one less thing on my plate. I’m doing great so far, not actually counting calories anymore tbh, much like yourself. My accountability is seeing the scale and knowing what hormone levels I’m working with. Not quite as dialed in as you though, more like 3-4lbs variation but I’m still very new to maintenance (1.5 months only) and have already encountered a vacation, my birthday, and a holiday so I’m pretty content with that. If it were anytime between Jan- Sept I think it would be even more consistent so I’m optimistic. I’m realizing from your post that now would be an excellent time for me to utilize Happy Scale, so thanks for keeping us posted and sharing your experience.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    @tiaamyom

May I suggest you try to dial the stress back a little bit? Two grams of lettuce? One possible tool is to take a small step back and start thinking about weekly averages. You can go over today and under tomorrow and still be OK. It is totally NOT like the old joke about putting one hand in a pot of boiling water and the other in a pot of ice water and on average you're comfortable. Your body assimilates things over time.

For sure maintenance is tough. If you haven't already, think about setting a maintenance RANGE. You're sure to have your weight go up and down over and over again. That's maintenance! If it's still within your range, maybe plus or minus three or five pounds depending on your comfort level, just pay attention. Take action if you bounce out of it. Mostly, just keep sticking to it.

If it's stressing you out, you might give up. That's the only way to fail!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Years ago I wanted to lose 10-20 pounds. I joined weight Watchers, ate what they told me, easily and quickly lost the weight, spent 3 weeks in bed with flu-like symptoms. Ate regular to cure the flu, gained the weight back and felt great. Repeat, cause apparently I was either thick-headed or young and silly.

Now I eat a more reasonable diet. I'm back to wanting to lose 10-20 pounds. But this time I'm smart enough to realize I can't do it in 2-3 weeks. Right now I have my MFP goal set to maintenance calories for about 10 pounds less than i weigh now. I try to keep my calories a little under that. Some days are harder. Some days are easier.

My fluctuations are bigger than I think most people's are--easily 5 pounds in a week, 10 pounds or so more in winter than summer. That's something I'll have to figure out how to handle in maintenance, but it was easy before I gained 100 pounds, so I imagine I can do it again.

I'm guessing maintenance will be easier for me than for lots of people. I love fruits and veggies. I live alone. I tend to keep enough meat or main dish for 1 or 2 meals handy, fresh veggies to last a week, canned and frozen veggies to last a month. I didn't plan it that way. It's just what I like. But I sure think it will be easier to maintain.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    tiaamyom wrote: »
    @mtaratoot
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @tiaamyom

For sure maintenance is tough. If you haven't already, think about setting a maintenance RANGE. You're sure to have your weight go up and down over and over again. That's maintenance! If it's still within your range, maybe plus or minus three or five pounds depending on your comfort level, just pay attention. Take action if you bounce out of it. Mostly, just keep sticking to it.

I appreciate the advice and yeah I guess I hadn’t considered seeing it as a range. My daily weigh-ins dont usually deviate more than 1-1.5 pounds up or down but even those worry me sometimes because I cycle between the same foods throughout the week for my meals. Would the 3-5 pound deviation range be for weekly averages or daily weigh-ins though?

It's not common, but I've seen a five pound jump in ONE DAY. I also have seen longer wavelength cycles that last a week or four. Many people have a number that, if they see, they move back to a deficit to keep from going any higher.

The two main things to consider in my opinion during maintenance are to STICK TO IT and also be patient. Observe. What is the very worst case scenario? You gain some weight. If you are always observant, it won't be much, and you know what to do to remedy that situation. It's a life-long journey; we might as well enjoy it!

If you're interested in sharing your successes, struggles, celebrations, and frustrations, feel free to join a group I'm involved with called "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off!" The group is private, so just request to join, and you WILL be approved.

The group really just has two requirements, and they would work really well if you're looking for accountability. First, you have to record your starting weight and your goals for the end of each quarter of 2024. That's not hard. The other is you have to post a weighing-in at least once a week. That's not hard either! We have some ongoing challenges that are intended to be fun that also can help you hone those good habits. We try to have some "special" challenges most weeks to. All of these are optional. The only requirement is the start-up and the weekly weigh-in. Come on over and join me!

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    edited January 23
    Options
    I just want to say that I really appreciate this thread, and @herringboxes your stories in particular.
    My #1 goal this year is to get to, and enter maintenance at my goal weight. I have a number in mind, but I am willing to settle above that if I feel I have reached the level of "trim" I feel I should have due to potentially carrying a little more muscle mass now than when I was previously at my goal weight.
    I know through experience the types of diet/macros that work best for me (higher protein and fat, lower carb but not low carb); I know exercise is key to not feeling like I'm starving all the time; I know cardio makes me ravenous the next day (plan accordingly sweetheart lol).
    Several times in the past 10 years I've dropped within 10 pounds of my goal weight, only to end up falling off the wagon and putting back on everything I lost. Reasons have ranged from understandable to horrible excuses, but the facts don't lie - I have yo-yo'd many times, and primarily because I almost always feel like I'm starving once the scale starts to get below my body's "happy weight" (which is still clearly more weight than I should be carrying). A few years ago (just before covid hit) I was feeling like I was close - like 5 ish pounds from what I really wanted, but then totally fell off that wagon with the pandemic.
    Fighting through that to get where I want is a battle I already know I will have to face, and know what I need to do. How to not fail upon getting into maintenance, however, is my biggest concern since that will be "new territory" to navigate.
    Just for reference, even at my heaviest, I was about 35ish pounds over my goal - overweight for sure, but I haven't battled with obesity.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    edited January 29
    Options
    I refused to change my goal weight of being 145lbs at 5’ 9”. I’m currently in maintenance and have stayed within 2 lbs of 145 for 5 months now. I started with 30 lbs to lose.
    I’ve been on MFP for 9!!!! Years now. I did get to 145 once before when I first came on here.
    But, I feel I did it all wrong because I restricted calories big time and cut out my favorite foods. As soon as I had hit maintenance weight it was like all heck let loose and I literally couldn’t eat enough. I was “sleep eating”. waking up to find protein bar wrappers around me and not remembering eating them. I saw a doctor who basically told me to restart my metabolism by not tracking calories for 6 months. Our course I gained back the weight plus 2 more pounds.
    The reasons I think I’ve been successful for 5 months this time is varied.
    1. I get more sleep than I used to. This took some life changes but I used to sleep 5-6 hours a night and now I sleep 7-8.
    2. I used to do a lot of HIIT type workouts. I think they have their place and I still do one 10 minute high intensity workout per week. But for me, they made me famished.
    My workouts now are strength training, Pilates, and walking for about 5-6 hours per week of movement.
    3. The bulk of what I ate was homemade. I think KNOWING what’s in your food is beneficial. I even wonder if the lack of preservatives and GMOs, and artificial colors and flavors help.
    4. I eat my favorite junk foods but not by themselves. So, if I eat chips on the side of a sandwich instead of out of the bag and when I’m starving, I’ll eat less. I lost weight, and I’m maintaining it with still eating some “bad” foods.

So, no. I didn’t raise my goal weight. I’m 62 years old and several people told me “maybe you’re just not supposed to be that weight at your age.”
    I feel younger, cuter, healthier, fitter at this weight, and it’s where I intend to stay for the rest of my life.