Recommendations for fitness equipment

Options
Hello .. I’m doing some research on what piece of fitness equipment I should buy for my home. I do have a spinal cord injury that causes me mild pain but I’m also overweight and in the process of getting healthier and trying to lose around 80 pounds.
I have been told that rowing machines are great for an all body workout but treadmill‘s seem to be a staple in peoples homes.

I also was looking at companies like Nordic track and bow flex and peloton because I do think that having a trainer and some music and a screen to look at will keep me more motivated.

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Rowing is a full-body exercise, but all lower body push and upper body pull, so somewhat unbalanced. Speaking as a long time (20+ years) on water and machine rower, it can be good (injury avoiding) to do other exercise to balance that out.

Rowing isn't commonly a stress to the spine for a healthy person, with proper technique, but incorrect technique can be risky . . . and correct technique isn't intuitive. Good instruction is important and helps keep it safe. I'd also recommend investing time in slow rowing to practice technique for a while at first: Trying for power and speed right away can groove sub-par technique into muscle memory and increase risk of long-term injury.

With apologies, I don't know much about the subscription-based video rowers. Nearly all on-water rowers use Concept 2 machines for off-water training, as do I. There are Concept 2 partner companies that offer video/subscription services, but it's not an all-in-one solution like some of the brands. Some other brands you could look at are Hydrow, Ergatta, and Aviron, in addition to Peleton and NordicTrack, but I know essentially nothing about them, except that they rely on similar body movements to Concept 2, but have some video/subscription services integrated.

Stationary bikes are more intuitive to use safely than rowers, with less instruction. There are some types that have upper body engagement, such as the "assault bike" category, but I don't know whether those would be stressful to the spine or not. Cross-country ski machines can also be full-body, but again I don't know how they'd be with your spine situation, and they are a little more technical than bikes or treadmills.

I would strongly, strongly encourage that before you buy a machine, you try it . . . at least try the same type of machine for several sessions at a gym or friend's house or whatever, even if you can't try the exact brand. It's super common, as you probably know, for someone to buy an exercise machine, and find that they don't enjoy it enough to use it regularly. Most of these machines are quite expensive, and many of them lose resale value relatively quickly.

I have a Concept 2 rower and a Concept 2 bike. Because I'm an on-water rower, and have been through quite a bit of coaching and rowing education, I prefer to structure my own workouts rather than using video classes; and I usually either listen to music or podcasts when I machine row. (If I watch regular TV/video while rowing it's too distracting from technical aspects.) Generally, I wouldn't recommend the Concept 2 bike for someone looking for the best general stationary bike, but I prefer it because it's integrated into the Concept 2 technosphere in ways that matter to me. One nice thing about the bike for me is that it isn't technical, and isn't full body: I can watch videos/TV or play computer games on my tablet while doing fairly vigorous bike workouts. I wouldn't personally get a treadmill because my weak point is my knees, and the impact from running (or even volume walking) isn't a great plan. Rowing and biking work for me.

If you have questions about machine rowing as a generality, technique questions or the like, I could probably give reasonable answers . . . but not about the video instruction/integration; and I haven't tried any of the machines that integrate those. I row Concept 2 for many hours every year (in off-season from rowing boats), and have rowed WaterRower a few times (but that's also not an integrated video/subscription solution as far as I know).
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited February 1
    Options
    Good advice from Ann.

I'd rec a recumbent bike. It'll probably work well for you wrt spine. You do you if you want to pay for monthly subs. No chance I will. I have a little monitor in the room with a Roku device atrached.

I had a treadmill once. Never again. Too bulky and noisy.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,269 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie,

I think a very effective piece of fitness equipment that will serve you well would be a nice pair of walking shoes. Walking is great. Everything you can do on a treadmill you can do better outside. You can even get varied scenery and terrain. You will need to replace the shoes from time to time. This assumes that walking won't make your injury worse. I'm assuming that if you're thinking about an ergometer or treadmill that you think you'd be OK with those, so walking might also be good.

A nice pair of shoes takes up so little room, you can also buy a pair of hiking boots!

Walking can increase cardiovascular fitness. It supports weight management and fat loss. It can help maintain bone density.

A fitness tracking device that can read your pulse can help you work on being in an appropriate heart zone. For walking, you can keep it in Zone Two and get lots of benefit.

I don't know if a bicycle would cause an issue for your injury. Different bikes have different riding positions. I bet your physician could help you focus on one that might benefit you rather than make things worse. Cycling can be loads of fun, and you can even use it as alternative transportation.

Will being at a lower weight improve your injury? If so, you're probably already aware that weight management is a separate endeavor than increasing fitness. You have to eat in a caloric deficit. Fortunately, this is a great place to support that!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 1
    Options
    Some good ideas above.

I'm going to paraphrase from a trainer I follow regarding buying home exercise equipment to improve health and fitness. Before you buy, for 2 weeks, take a 30 minute walk (assuming this is okay with your medical team) at least 5 out of 7 days each week and eat at least 5 servings of veggies/fruit a day.

If you can't do these things you't most likely not committed enough to make changes and the exercise equipment will likely be a clothes hanger and sold for 25% of what you paid for it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    yeah, what mtaratoot said. Can you find something that convinces you to go out and walk? Do you have some nice nature, interesting environment or anything else outside that would get you there. Maybe start with a 10 minutes from home photo project with your phone or something like that. If you can build habits that are both enjoyable and involve movement then that's a win.

For any kind of fitness equipment: do you see yourself using any of these or does it sound like a chore? Something you have to do? Then there's a chance you won't really use it. One way around is to rent something for now. If you don't use it or hate it the monetary loss will be minimal and you know what doesn't work.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Beautiful sunny day here. Record high of 54° - so I walked outside today.

However, if you have an aversion to cold and/or rainy weather (like me) try "indoor walking." Youtube has lots of simple, no choreography, low impact "walking" workouts. You can go at your own pace. Look for Walk At Home or Jessica Smith TV.

My treadmill became the clothes hanger after awhile.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be a bit out there and say a set of dumbbells and an exercise mat :) They take up almost no space (at least the starting weights) and you can store them under a sofa or a bed. You can use them for numerous exercises, you can find plenty of different types of work outs on you tube, different intensities, styles, personalities. If you don't like someone, or get bored, you just flick to another channel. No cost! They will probably be easy to sell but also a much lower investment. I would also recommend booking a personal training session to ensure any exercise you do is mindful of your spine injury :)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think the recommendations we will all make will be linked to the exercise we personally enjoy. So, what do YOU enjoy doing? Do you already enjoy jogging, cycling or rowing? Because if you don’t, it could be a very expensive mistake to buy indoor equipment.

I know people that keep fit (or get fit) doing things like online / Wii dance classes, free yoga and Pilates can also be great to get moving, and volunteering for community projects can also be a great way to get steps in without realising. It really does depend on what you enjoy or dislike the least.
  • Bud_Rows
    Bud_Rows Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 1
    Options
    Give an indoor rower a try!

You may not like it... you may love it.

I'll keep my answer brief but I cannot recommend rowing enough.
    I'm 50+ and have ankylosing spondylitis which gives me issues with my back and I'm unable to run.

I tried rowing many years ago and enjoyed it, so when I wanted to lose quite a bit of weight it was an easy choice for me.

If you do like it, a decent rower is a must. The Concept2 (generally the 'go to' machine) supporters are very vocal in their preference, but I much prefer a Fluid Rower - quieter, smoother and cheaper on the second hand market. I've had both and now use a Fluid Rower pretty much every day.

Unless you're planning on entering the Olympics don't be scared away by talk of proper technique etc. Just watch a few short videos to be safe and take note of what your body is telling you. No need to strain yourself at all. You'll know when you're ready for more.

Plonk your rower in front of the telly and watch a movie, some music or whatever takes your fancy!

The best form of excercise is one you enjoy - it needn't be torture.

Obviously watching what you eat is important and don't overlook the importance of plenty of water daily.

All from experience... Good luck!

r6c93pugzzpe.jpg
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    And OP was never seen again.
    Bud_Rows wrote: »
    Unless you're planning on entering the Olympics don't be scared away by talk of proper technique etc. Just watch a few short videos to be safe and take note of what your body is telling you.
    Outstanding transformation.

However, that advice is very cavalier to someone who said they have a back injury.
  • Bud_Rows
    Bud_Rows Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 1
    Options
    Thanks, and yep it was.
    Would be nice if the OP does come back at some point as it may help others to hear how it went/is going.