Lactose intolerance

Options
Hi! I was wondering if anyone else is lactose intolerant? What foods do you eat and what are some good go to snacks? I have tons of symptoms when I eat any dairy product some of them are nausea, diarrhea, bloating, gas, those occur after I eat dairy. I also experience chest pain and upper back pain when I eat dairy consistently. Acne also appears whenever I'm eating dairy. Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• laughingatchu630
    laughingatchu630 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    And awful abdominal pain :(
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a lucky "lactard," as my very sympathetic family calls me. If I eat dairy, I throw up without fail....unless I take 18,000 FCC of lactase (2 extra-strength pills). If I take it, I never ever have a problem with dairy!

Except ice cream. Ice cream always always makes me sick with most of the symptoms you've listed :[

My favorite non-dairy snack is veggies dipped in hummus. I also really like having toast with pâté or terrine. And I really like tabouleh.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. I love almond milk. It's lactose free and low cal, so you can use it for things like cereal and as an ingredient in recipes.

I love popcorn as snacks. If you get no butter and use a zero calorie spray, you can eat the whole bag for only about 200 calories.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Right there with you. I love Silk Milk light even more than regular milk. I do miss Greek yogurt though. I carry Lacto pills with me in case I inevitably eat lactose, and they seem to help a lot.
  • bubba1211
    Options
    Hi... I have this too. It's hard to find high protein foods that are not dairy. I use deans lactose free skim milk with non flavored soy protein powder from the health food store. I throw it in the blender with ice cubes and a banana. It's very filling.

I also eat white string cheese - part skim and mozarella.

Good luck!
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have the same type problem, although maybe not as severe. I avoid milk and stick with soy. Nevertheless, small quantities of cheese and ice cream don't bother me. I just generally have a big problem with gas formation and have to struggle sometimes to avoid embarrassment.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm also lactose intolerant, but there are some dairy things that I crave.

I buy the lactose free milk from the store - it's a little more expensive, but I only use about a quarter cup a day, so I only buy a 1L at a time.

For yogurt/cheese/ice cream, I just take a lactaid with it.

As for snacks, I mostly have fresh fruit and tea (no milk).
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant but I can eat dairy if I take a lactase enzyme. Most health food stores carry it, it can get expensive though and may not work for you. I do find that I'm able to have very low fat or no fat dairy things with no problems. I enjoy soy and almond milks on occasion but when the budget is tight, and I can only get cow's milk, I usually take one lactase pill and only have fat free milk.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't miss dairy at all. I feel so much better on a dairy-free diet, that a slice of pizza doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

Some of my staples are: oatmeal, salads (no cheese), tomato-based soups, tuna sandwiches (no mayo), fruits, veggies, nuts, peanut butter, coffee... I could go on and on.

I have fake kraft singles that are lactose-free. And I drink soy lattes.

I also found that taking a probiotic supplement worked wonders.

Feel free to friend me and peep through my diary. Best wishes with your tummy adventures :)
  • laughingatchu630
    Options
    I've tried lactaid pills but they only seemed to work for foods that have milk in them by not milk by products like yogurt or cheese. I really like Silk chocolate soy milk it helps with my awful sweet tooth. I've gone totally dairy free before and it was easy when I was maintaining the dairy free diet. But then I got pregnant and my dairy allergy went away till a month before I delivered so now I'm having trouble getting back on the wagon.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to milk and some staples in my house are:

Original almond milk - I use it as a base for coffee, in my cereal, for smoothies, and in recipes for both cooking and baking. The unsweetened kind also works well for sauces.

Nutritional yeast - yummy on salads, on popcorn, on toast, and in mixed in with egg whites and sauces. It has a sort of cheesy, nutty flavor and is good for you.

Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese - great on sandwiches, in omelettes, and in a million other ways.

Wholly Guacamole - it's delicious and subs for mayo in tuna (add chili powder for extra flavor), is awesome on sandwiches, and adds a creamy texture and a delicious flavor (not to mention the good-for-you fat instead of the kind cheese has) to mexican food dishes and lots of other things as well.
  • laughingatchu630
    Options
    i'll definitely try some of those especially the guacamole as a sub for mayo because its better for me
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes, I have all of your symptoms PLUS headaches. The lactose is responsible for the gas/bloating, however it's casein and whey that are responsible for the acne. Dairy also causes some people to become congested -- it's really not very good for us at all!

I love almond and coconut milks, I order pizza without cheese, sub avocado for cheese on sandwiches (very similar mouthfeel).

Nutritional yeast flakes have a nutty, cheesy flavor and are nice sprinkled on pasta, pizza, salads, on top of a bagel with soy cream cheese, etc.

I find I can tolerate hard, aged cheese like pecorino romano and parmesan. I do eat butter in small amounts.

Sometimes I will just give in and eat dairy if it's something I really want -- and sometimes my stomach will tolerate a small amount. i rarely escape the acne though, and that lasts for up to 2 weeks, so I consider carefully.

EDIT: if I know I am going to eat something particularly egregious, I take 2 charcoal capsules before and after to mitigate the gas. Lactaid does not work for me.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Mayo does not contain dairy -- it does contain eggs. common misperception.

I think this comes from the old food pyramid that listed eggs as dairy. They come from a chicken, not a cow.

blessings.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    lactaid milk for me
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    FWIW, you should be able to eat yogurt and many cheeses if you're just lactose intolerant. The bacteria that make yogurt into yogurt do so by converting the lactose (and other sugars) into lactic acid which "curdles" the milk. Also, yogurt is the starting point for many cheeses (but not all), especially the softer ones.

Sounds like the OP has a casein allergy in addition to lactose intolerance. Do you have problems with food that include whey?
  • laughingatchu630
    Options
    Yeah whey bothers me too
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yeah whey bothers me too
    Casein for sure, then.
  • mmm77
    mmm77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! This has become a recent problem for me, too. Bloating, cramps, gas, etc. It took me a while to figure out it was dairy, because I've never had a problem with it before. I don't really miss any dairy except greek yogurt. I've tried the SO Delicious cultured coconut milk. It tasted okay... if you're looking for something with probiotics. I love the SO Delicious brand mini fudge bars, though. Those things are awesome. I've also started taking a calcuim supplement because I know I'm not getting enough through my diet.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Mayo does not contain dairy -- it does contain eggs. common misperception.

I think this comes from the old food pyramid that listed eggs as dairy. They come from a chicken, not a cow.

blessings.

Original mayo does not have dairy, but many of the light/reduced fat or canola oil/olive oil types DO have lactic acid derived from milk. If you are simply intolerant to milk products, it might not be a problem but for someone with an actual milk allergy, you really do need to be careful to avoid anything with lactic acid that does not specifically say it is derived from something other than milk.