Over 60?

Options
Thmh55
Thmh55 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 26 in Getting Started
Hi,
I just started this week. Hoping to meet some motivational friends to cheer on who are 60 or over. Our bodies are different than they used to be but that doesn't mean we have to give up! Not sure how to add friends or respond in this chat, but will hopefully figure it out. Let's connect!

Replies

• ebikejean
    ebikejean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi. Our bodies certainly change - What are some things you are doing differently, such as not eating after 6pm, more water, more movement, no second helpings, etc.?
  • ebikejean
    Options
    I've modified, too. Discovered I can't eat as much as I used to. Hubs retired and automatically lost 25 pounds. He's keeps those 25 lbs off and stays active. He did struggle with long covid but getting his strength back. I didn't automatically lose weight when I retired so I work at it. I use a NuStep bike daily and ride my e-bike (I peddle) during good weather. Sometimes use our row machine. Walk a labyrinth nearby. We belong to a community center, but I added equipment to our basement. The men at the community center were too chatty. I think they hung out there most of the day. Ha. I do IF or intermittent fasting. The schedule is good for me. I'm 'one of those' who need a plan. Have a good weekend.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    your husband must be pretty active - most people i know gain weight when they retire as they tend to be less active and snack more. i haven't retired, but i've worked at home at a desk since 1996, which means i can't be active during the day but i AM dangerously close to all the snacks...

is a NuStep like a seated stepper? that's how the videos i've seen seemed to me.

i'm more free-form, but it sounds like you have a very good plan for your needs. and wow, you have a labyrinth nearby! hope you're having a good weekend :)
  • ebikejean
    Options
    Yes, hubs was a corporate guy and there were donuts, free snacks, cafeteria in the building and business lunches. He didn't realize how many calories he ingested and how inactive he was. He's now busy with landscaping and not eating those big lunches. His doc is thrilled! He now landscapes, fishes, walks in nature, etc. Yes, I have a plan & a NuStep is a recumbent bike. Nothing laborious, but I also don't injure myself. Our labyrinth is 3/4 mile long once you walk to center and return. Something that helps me is I don't turn on our TV between 8AM and 6PM. I know people who retire and sit in front of the TV. Ouch. Didn't want to start that. Take care.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    wow, sounds like retiring was a very healthy thing for your husband!

my other bikes - both upright and recumbent ones - aggravated some of my prior injuries, but on my current exercise bike i've worked up to an hour ride without any major issues.

good for you. there can be so much more to live than watching TV. i like doing stuff - reading, playing bass, watercolor painting, working out.

i must admit i'm a little jealous of your nustep ;)
  • ebikejean
    Options
    My NuStep is something I bought for myself when I retired. I had an old knee injury from snow skiing, and I found myself injuring the same knee when using other equipment. The line to use the 3 NuSteps was long at the community center and there was a 20 minute limit. I like to stay on for an hour. PLUS, a lot of men hang around the center just to stand and talk to people working out. Nice people but annoying. It all works out. Do you use the food & exercise sites on MFP? This helps me stay on track.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    I hate talking to people when I'm working out, and 20 minutes really isn't long enough.

Food and exercise sites?
  • ebikejean
    Options
    The Food & Exercise tabs on top. I didn't express that well. Just going through the motions of typing in both help me to stay focused. How are you juggling work & self care? I remember trying to work everything in and then being tired at night.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Thmh55 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just started this week. Hoping to meet some motivational friends to cheer on who are 60 or over. Our bodies are different than they used to be but that doesn't mean we have to give up! Not sure how to add friends or respond in this chat, but will hopefully figure it out. Let's connect!

I second the suggestion made by @AnnPT77 for you to check out the link she posted.

I love reading books and articles about "master" athletes in their 70's, 80's, and 90's. They inspire me to keep plugging away on this journey we call healthy aging. Another read I enjoy is "Thinner This Year" by Chris Crowley and Jen Sacheck, PhD. Some of Chris' syntax is a little dated but the rest of the book stands up well with lots of relevant info for folks our age. I re-read it regularly when I feel myself falling back into old habits.

Welcome to the MFP community 🙂
  • Thmh55
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77 your post was helpful! It's been a little hard since I got Covid 3 days after I started. But I have been logging everyday. One of my goals was to try at least one new healthy food a week and I have kept up with that (for only two weeks, but the intention is strong!)
  • Thmh55
    Options
    @ridiculous59 I ordered that book right away after I read your post. Knowledge is power! I'll take any other book suggestions you have. Thanks!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ebikejean wrote: »
    My NuStep is something I bought for myself when I retired. I had an old knee injury from snow skiing, and I found myself injuring the same knee when using other equipment. The line to use the 3 NuSteps was long at the community center and there was a 20 minute limit. I like to stay on for an hour. PLUS, a lot of men hang around the center just to stand and talk to people working out. Nice people but annoying. It all works out. Do you use the food & exercise sites on MFP? This helps me stay on track.

We LOVE our NuStep!

We bought ours at the beginning of the pandemic to keep my husband exercising.
    Now I use it too. Minimum of 40 minutes a day, which is great because I can barely walk without assistance due to a balance disorder. But I can fly on the NuStep.

It replaced one of the couches in the living room, but we got the extra large seat so it’s relatively comfy to sit on, and when locked in the sideways position makes a decent enough chair.