Tracking diet in a food journal leads to weight gain

Options
Guys, do you agree with this:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/7-laws-leanness
"And a recent study in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine showed that tracking your diet in a food journal can actually boost your stress levels, which in turn increases your level of a hormone called cortisol, and cortisol is linked to—you guessed it—weight gain."

I'm confused. Tracking my foods here in MFP really helped me a lot. Has anyone here experienced gaining weight instead of losing by using food journals?

Replies

• RaceTo48Kg
    RaceTo48Kg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    please refer to item #1 (LAW #1: Lean People Don’t Diet) in the link above.
  • chocoholicandbaby
    Options
    There was a bit of talk about this in an earlier thread which I never got around to replying to.

I think the article itself is somewhat confused as further down in the article one of the main points was that lean people plan out their day so they know what they are going to be eating next - and isn't that a lot of what logging/tracking food is about?

Looking at it objectively, I think perhaps can be stressful if you aren't ready to lose weight and make changes - but that goes for any form of weight loss method. It is empowering when you are ready, stressful when you are not.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Looking at it objectively, I think perhaps can be stressful if you aren't ready to lose weight and make changes - but that goes for any form of weight loss method. It is empowering when you are ready, stressful when you are not.

This!!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The only times that I've been very successful in my weightloss efforts have been the times that I religiously keep a food journal. The only times that I've NOT been very successful in keeping the weight off have been the times that I stopped religiously keeping a food journal. It's not for everyone -- it IS for me :happy:
  • NoDairy
    Options
    i lost major weight not countng cals not even knowing about this site, then when i was doing the counting thing i wasnt seeing same results and yes gaining weight, its frustrating so i quit this site then came back to just set fitness goals and now its working out better and not wasting time or worrying about dumb numbers, its common sense now what to eat what to avoid and what to have in moderation
  • hikuinezumi
    hikuinezumi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mantra: Correlation does not equal causation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Total rubbish! However, I do believe stress will lead to weight gain. I experienced some changes in my life recently and seemed to be stuck on fluctuating for three weeks. Once I started feeling more comfortable about my situation, I started losing again. Of course, now my daughter has me stressed out so I hope this isn't a here we go again moment. I may have to add some meditation to my fitness regimen.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think if you allow it to stress you out, then I can see how it might be counter productive. As a nutritionist friend of mine is fond of saying "Stressing over eating a "bad" food is worse for you than ACTUALLY EATING the "bad" food."

So if you go over your calorie goal by say.. 100 calories, but then stress about it, and this is a frequent event, then I can see how it might lead to weight gin because of the stress.

But if you do it simply as a tool to keep yourself accountable, then it can be a very useful tool. I have been successful in my weight loss partly because I keep track of what I eat. I didn't realize how quickly calories added up and was eating way too many calories and not burning enough. Of course that led to weight gain.

At first I stressed about being "perfect." But then I realized I needed to relax. Now, I'm happier with how I eat than I have ever been, I'm loosing weight, I'm getting healthy, and I've learned how to listen to my body. Some days I need more calories. Some days I need less... so I pay less attention to the number of actual calories I am burning, and pay more attention to what my body is telling me. I'm actually in the middle of an experiment of NOT counting calories. I spent last week not journaling at all. This week I'll journal, but not really pay attention to how many calories I'm eating.. continuing to eat intuitively. Then at the end of this week, I'll see how much I have lost total, and then go back and see how many calories I actually ate each day.

Everyone has got to do what works for them. For me, journaling is very helpful, but I don't let it stress me out.

God bless!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I think some of the points made in this article are good. But I think the most important thing to note is that we are not on a diet we are working on a life style change. We are makeing many of the changes they suggest i.e. knowing what we are going to eat, being more active and eating more protein.

I do like that the article mentions the need to have a positive relationship with our food and not punishing ourselves for eating somthing "bad"

I also agree with the poster above if you are not really ready to change logging food can casue weight gain due to stress but if you are here for the right reasons and you are getting support for your awesome MFP friends I think counting cals can make to highly sucessful and eventually lead you to making better choices so you won't have to count forever.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If I know I have to log the crappy bad for me food Im about to put in my mouth I'll think twice about it! I think if I just logged in a notebook I wouldnt be nearly as successful.. but with a community of support I think that helps a LOT.
  • charbogue
    Options
    I haven't been here long but it's helping my so far because I never really had any idea how many calories I was eating. I'm trying not to get obsessed with it but by logging it I can control it. Whereas when I wasn't it's easier to 'forget' that biscuit you had at lunch or to not fully count the calories you had for that snack you had. It's good to keep track and control it. Also it helps you see what you're doing wrong.

I'll let you know if this actually helps me in a few weeks :P
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I can certainly see that to some people, forcing themselves to record everything they eat could be quite stressful, which could theoretically lead to weight gain. Personally, I like numbers. I find great comfort in seeing my calorie intake and knowing it's under my goal. It is the opposite of stressful. It depends on the individual.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you have issues with food, logging everything CAN lead to obsessing. That is just thinking about food too darn much. Which could lead us to eat more of it.

Wouldn't it be nice to just get a life and think about and do other things with our time? I read a quote saying "how lame are we for the amount of time we spend thinking about food!" I would love to have a healthy and normal relationship with food where it is something to go to just when, hey, I get actually hungry and the body needs calories to function. Thin people actually live this way and think nothing of it.

So it can be a catch-22 where you have to plan for better meals at the same time you are trying to not be obsessive about it. Not sure how much cortisol that produces.

I think this site is enormously helpful for the accountability and the education about our food choices and weight. And once we reach our goals, I do hope for the ability to maintain without the need to count and record every bite. Is that possible... ever??
  • RaceTo48Kg
    RaceTo48Kg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, your replies enlightened me a lot. I'm new to using food diary and I was shocked after reading that article. Yeah you guys are right that it really depends, stick with what works for you and logging such as MFP helps me a lot. And as what others said, make sure you're ready to lose weight and as long as you have a good reason why you are here, logging won't stress you out. Thanks again guys!