Zumba

Options
Just was curious if there were many people who have tried Zumba? I have and it seemed to work alright but my problem is sticking with anything. I will start something and then after about a week I get lazy and end up not working out at all. Any tips to stay motivated or any other workouts that I should try?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba regularly since January and met my goal in May. I've since set a new goal and am steadily getting there. The reason I love Zumba is that it's so fun it keeps me motivated. I miss it on days that I don't do it. It's a real calorie burner.
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    Just was curious if there were many people who have tried Zumba? I have and it seemed to work alright but my problem is sticking with anything. I will start something and then after about a week I get lazy and end up not working out at all. Any tips to stay motivated or any other workouts that I should try?

Yip. Drag your friends along. I was the same until I got a few friends to come with me, much more fun! I also hooked up with a running group on Saturday mornings which I have to carpool in, not much for the other person if you don't show up. Just a few suggestions. Good luck :)
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I actually tried Zumba about 2 years ago and I loved it. It is a great workout especially if you have an instructor that is really good at it. If you like to dance you will love it. Just keep moving no matter what because at first it is kind of hard to get the hang of. If I can do it anyone can! lol :)
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    I love Zumba, it's the only thing I do on a regular basis AND enjoy it. But unfortunately the times for my zumba class often interfer with school times, therefore I don't get to attend the clas that often.
    It's so much fun though. I love it
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I will start something and then after about a week I get lazy and end up not working out at all. Any tips to stay motivated or any other workouts that I should try?
    A tip I can offer is to stop defining yourself the "old way." Instead of saying, "I'm the kind of person who starts something then gets lazy after a week & gives up," why don't you start telling yourself, "I'm the kind of person who starts something & sticks with it to make sure I get results."

Sooner or later you'll start to believe it.
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually tried Zumba about 2 years ago and I loved it. It is a great workout especially if you have an instructor that is really good at it. If you like to dance you will love it. Just keep moving no matter what because at first it is kind of hard to get the hang of. If I can do it anyone can! lol :)

Ditto!!

And Kel3369- Love the quotes in your signature!!
  • Ladynitra
    Options
    HI, I love Zumba, but it dont love me lol so on days where I dont feel like hearing the music or dancing I go for a walk fast paced that is or biking, or just playing wiith my 11year old. Zumba has nothing on her lol. I find that I too get sick of the samething and dont want to workout at times neither but I remember why I started this and get back in motion find something that you love to do and then change it up to keep you motivated.
  • duwster
    Options
    I actually have the Zumba DVD's so I just do it at home. I try to get others to come over and Zumba with me but it doesnt seem to work out lol. Thank you all for your comment and I shall try to just be more positive and try to keep motivated :)
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    I actually have the Zumba DVD's so I just do it at home. I try to get others to come over and Zumba with me but it doesnt seem to work out lol. Thank you all for your comment and I shall try to just be more positive and try to keep motivated :)

Try watching some Zumba on Youtube, that always seems to get me going :)
  • stephcremeans
    stephcremeans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba and used to be the same way, starting but not sticking with it. The biggest thing that has helped me is realizing that I don't have to do ONE kind of exercise. Try making a list of things you can do and keep it handy...then decide each day what you want to do rather than looking at what you have to do. (although classes limit your choices to a certain extent) My list consists of: walking with the dog, walking/jogging without the dog, an indoor track for walking at a local church, zumba class, zumba on the xbox, yoga class, yoga dvd, playing at the playground with my kids, cardio workout (I got this from working w/a trainer), upper & lower body workout (also from a trainer), and core workout (last one from a trainer). When I plan my schedule for the week I put the classes I want to go to on my calendar, but if I decide I don't feel like going I pick something else from the list instead. I also suggest saving up for a couple of training sessions. I've only done 3, but ended up with 3 different workouts that I can do on my own now! Best of luck, YOU CAN DO IT!!! :happy:
  • Darci0626
    Darci0626 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba in January of this year, a month after I had my third child. I loved it and started doing it as much as I could. I loved it so much I became an instructor. I now teach four classes a week and will be adding more soon.

There has never been a fitness activity that I just loved so much I would get depressed if I didn't get to do it. Then came Zumba. After the first time I missed a class and cried, my husband made sure that he did everything he could to ensure I got to class.

The games and home DVDs are fun, but it can't replace a group atmosphere. The more people in a class the more fun it is. I urge you to try it at least once. Some instructors even offer your first class for free. Go to Zumba.com and find an instructor near you. You won't regret it!
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I must agree w/ ZumbaDNR.
    I am also a Zumba instructor and while I started out doing it at home, once I went to a class I LOVED it even more.
    You feed off of the other people in the class and you stay motivated and tend to give more effort into it.

Until you find an exercise or activity you LOVE, you will continue to get bored or give up after a while.
    You have to WANT to do something, not just think you "have" to do it.
  • JJtheTricycle
    Options
    My friend has the DVDs and we did that together and it was extremely fun :) So I'd say get friends to do it with you!

Has it helped anyone lose weight though?
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba since April and I love it! I don't think its too boring because my instructors add different routines that make it so fun and once you get the routine down, then you can really work it and add your own style. For me i love to dance and I love music, so it seems fun and its exercise! I highly recommend it! Its a blast!
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My friend has the DVDs and we did that together and it was extremely fun :) So I'd say get friends to do it with you!

Has it helped anyone lose weight though?

Absolutely!! I think it is my single best calorie burner of the week. I try to take 2-3 classes.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I went to my first zumba class tonight and LOVED IT :love:

It reminded me alot of the old aerobics classes from back in the late 70's early 80's when we would do alot of line dances. Once you get the steps down I think you are good to go. I actually got my husband to come in too for about 15 minutes. I think I will try to go at least once a week. Unfortunately, the times at my Y are not convenient for me but I will try to find one during the week that works with my schedule.

My Tip - find something you love to do, set some mini goals for yourself, make your mind up that you WANT to succeed and then JUST DO IT!