Pizza Help Please!

Options
I am trying to cook healthier, but still trying to please the BF. Tonight I am going to make my version of healhy Pizza, but am wondering about swapping out my usual crust. I usually use boboli thin crust, but it is 140 cals a slice ( bummer ) so two peices of pizza and after all my veggies and light cheese bam 500 cals.

Any ideas? Tortillas?

Thanks in advance :)

Jenna

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe on here for cauliflower pizza crust. I've never had it, but I heard it was wonderful.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pita bread? We did that this weekend and it's ... okay. Not super-fantastic but it'll do.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I use portobella mushrooms!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i use a pitta break or naan break for my base :) xxx
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I either do a spaghetti squash "crust" or get a whole wheat pita (60 cals each) and make mini pizzas on them. they are about the size of a personal pizza at a restaurant
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Screw it!! Tell your boyfriend to please YOU!!!! Eat the way YOU need to !
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I make my own base, it's about 480 cals for an entire 10" base so around 60 cals per slice (1/8th)
  • seastreifel
    Options
    Hey! One alternative that I've used and enjoyed is using whole grain tortillas:

Preheat oven to 400 F. Brush both sides of tortilla with olive oil (about 1 tsp per 1 medium tortilla needed). Top with your toppings. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

One tip though, be careful of the toppings you put on, because the tortilla can become soggy quite easily.

you can also get spelt and kamut pizza crust-Ii have no idea where, but I've heard of it...
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I make my own base, it's about 480 cals for an entire 10" base so around 60 cals per slice (1/8th)

Me too! And I know exactly what's in it.
  • cgavin77
    Options
    Try the Light Italian Herb Flat Outs. They have 90 Calories,High Fiber, 100% Whole Wheat, Low Fat, 0g Sugar.
    (this is def a "thin crust" pizza though)
  • jessicaeocon
    Options
    Try Flatout Multi-Grain with Flax! They look similar to tortillas and are only 100 calories. I make one with tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni and mozarella (skim). Bake it in the oven (350) on the rack for 7-10 mins. Super thin & crispy and DELICIOUS!!! Sometimes I also put a little basil on it too. With everything I just listed, my pizza comes out to 330 cals. And one fills me up. :):)

P.S. My boyfriend LOVES them too!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!! I love pizza so I am trying to amend my recipe a bit!
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use extreme wellness low carb tortillas, they are 60 cal for a 6 inch tort!!! I made one for my son too and he loved it!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Make a homemade whole wheat crust. It is very simple and extremely filling! This recipe will make 1 large pie or cut dough into several small servings for individual pizzas.

Pizza Crust:
    1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Dissolve the yeast in the water.
    Add the rest of the ingredients in and mix.
    Dump onto a floured surface.
    Knead into a smooth dough (five minutes or so).
    Roll out and press down onto a greased pan (or use a pizza stone for crispier crust)
    Add toppings
    Bake at 450 degrees F. for around 12-15 minutes until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try the Light Italian Herb Flat Outs. They have 90 Calories,High Fiber, 100% Whole Wheat, Low Fat, 0g Sugar.
    (this is def a "thin crust" pizza though)

I really like these Flat Outs they make a great pizza or I have used portobello mushroom, like someone else mentioned, and that is good to. If you use the Flat Outs heat the oven to 350 and put the crust in with a small amount of olive oil first to kinda toast it then remove it, add toppings and bake.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just order Papa John's. It isn't good for you but is only about 170 calories a slice for hand tossed.
  • mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use Mission 96% Fat Free Burrito size tortilla's and then regular pizza toppings!
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I USE THE TORTILLA ( WHOLE WHEAT) AND I ACTUALLY FOUND THE CUTEST LITTLE PERSONAL PAN PIZZAS AT THE DOLLAR STORE THE OTHER DAY FOR MY HUSBAND. THEY ARE CALLED CAMILLO'S AND THERE ARE(2) 7" CRUSTS IN THEM. I PAID LIKE, $1.75 FOR THE BOTH OF THEM. I WENT BACK AND BOUGHT MORE WHEN IT WAS A SUPER BIG HIT WITH THE HUBBY! YOU CAN LOAD THEM DOWN, POP IT IN THE OVEN , AND 7~10 MINUTES LATER.....HUBBY= HAPPY CAMPER! :love: WHEN DADDY'S HAPPY / MOMMA IS HAPPY! :tongue:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I use Mission 96% Fat Free Burrito size tortilla's and then regular pizza toppings!

Hmm, I may check out the tortillas. Do they taste okay?
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I made personal pan size pizzas the other night. I took the biscuits in the can, flattened them out, added the sauce cheese mushrooms and pepperoni(only about 4 slices) and it was about 340 calories for one. combine a small side salad with that and I was full. The kids even liked them. I am definitely doing again. You can find the recipe on Pillsbury's website.