Looking for Support

Options
So, a little bit about myself...I am 42 years old, married to the most amazing man for almost 19 years, 3 beautiful children (20, 18, 16), a dog named Jagger and a cat named Peanut!

I am a photographer, as well as work in health care with dementia patients. I have been struggling with weight issues since...well, I can't remember when I wasn't struggling! I have tried every diet fad out there, and sometimes it worked, but most of the time it didn't.

I have been "kind of" using MFP for a while, but have decided to fully commit to making it work for me.

I would welcome any suggestions and advice on how to make this work this time around. I would love to join a challenge that holds me accountable to not only myself, but to others. If anyone could tell me how to go about that, I would be greatful.

Here's to a healthy lifestyle!

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

As far as challenges go, new ones pop up all of the time! To join one, when you see it posted in the forums, jump on it because they fill up rather quickly a lot of times. Also, if you see one being talked about that is already in progress, you could always send a personal message to the person in charge and ask to be put on a wait list.

This is a thread with a list of links that will be very beneficial to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

I suggest you read them when you have time. You will probably find a lot of answers any questions you may have, along with some you didn't know to ask. Also, if you have any questions about specific things that aren't covered there, it is great to utilize the search function before asking. Chances are, the question has been asked before!

Good luck!
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! glad you've decided to begin your journey to a healthier lifestyle! for the challenges, the best thing i can tell you is check the Recent Forum Topics....you'll see things pop up there for challenges that people are having! Also, finding people on here who will support you on your journey is equally important :) good luck on your journey!
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Okay a few things to help with motivation!
    1. Add people! It helps to see what other people are doing and usually their diaries are open when you friend them so you have help food wise. Second off adding people always helps me stay motivated to work out because I see other people are working out and I get a little competitive lol.
    2. Plan your meals before hand. There's all the tools you will need here to be able to accurately account for your calories.
    3. Pick an exercise plan you want to do. I've seen other people have awesome results with Julian Michaels 30 day shred and get ripped in 30. They are $10 at Meijers so not a huge money commitment. I just started insanity myself but thats near the $100's. I bought it a while ago but the results there are amazing as well.
    4. Cut out processed foods if you can. The best advice I've ever gotten was to live well stay away from the "aisles" in the grocery store. Just stick to stuff around the edges. Meats, fresh produce, cheese, and bread. Also go for whole grain options in pastas, breads, tortillas, bagels and rice.
    5. I found that cutting out most of my sugar helped me cut out my worst addiction of Diet coke. I switched for Truvia (no calorie natural sweetener) and now after only a few weeks Diet coke tastes nasty, I had cake the other day and the only thing I could think about was how i could taste every grain of sugar. I also had a regular applesauce after running out of my healthy harvest no sugar added ones and it was WAY too sweet for me. Its small things like that.
    6. Switch for lower calorie options of things, lower sodium as well. Reduced fat cheese, low sodium meats, etc. And if you're craving chocolate my favorite "indulgence" are the skinny cow treats. They have frozen ice cream sandwiches and wafer bars and rice clusters. Only around 100 calories and you get your fix but don't ruin your day.
    7. I made my fridge a dedication to my weight loss. I post on there my progress, my goals, and if I did something I'm really proud of like running for a minute longer than I normally have I post that too. That way before I look in that fridge, I see what I've done and what I want to do before I check out what I want to eat lol.

I hope all this helps. Its stuff thats worked for me and other stuff might work for you. If you would like some healthy recipes I'd be happy to share the ones I've come up with. Feel free to add me! Good luck!
  • kh79
    kh79 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi there and a big welcome!
    I think what's worked for me this time is not having too unrealistic goals. I often tend to get super eager to get on a program, and set the bar too high!! I fail at the goals and give up...
    This time I've decided to set the weight loss goal and calories per day to something that's actualy doable over time.

So I guess that's my advice, set ur goals to something that u ACTUALY think u will be able to achieve over time, like a new lifestyle, rather than speed-dieting.

Feel free to add me!! :smile:
  • skinee4life
    skinee4life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! You have all been very welcoming and helpful! I can't wait to get this party started!!

First up....set myself some realistic goals, and try not to fall back in to old habits :happy: