How do I find the energy to start losing weight?

Options
My energy has been low for as long as I remember, and sometimes it's hard to stay out of bed all day. I've heard losing weight can really help with energy levels - but then I find it so hard to actually get up and do something about it. Is there something I could be doing or eating to help with this? (To clarify - mental block is obviously a part of this, but I'm really looking for some kind of energy boost)
Tagged:

Answers

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    You need to see an appropriate medical professional(s). What you are describing is not typical,

Good luck.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    Reading your post, I'm wondering if there is depression in the picture and/or physical issues causing the fatigue. Or if it's just being overweight that is causing low energy, because it makes everything harder.
    I would definitely recommend visiting a doctor for any issues that can affect energy level (depression, hypothyroid, vitamin/mineral deficiency, coeliac disease...).

Weight loss in itself doesn't require a lot of energy:
    - even people with mobility issues can lose weight, it's a matter of controlling food intake
    - there doesn't need to be a huge overhaul of your life, you can start small: first start weighing and logging everything you consume. After you've gotten used to that, you can add other goals like aiming for a certain amount of calories (aim for slow weight loss at first and see how it goes), aiming for a certain amount of steps in a day (you can start with as little as 5 minutes per day if that feels challenging), etc.

As for an energy boost: personally I feel that heavy meals (for example lots of cream/cheese/fat) drag my energy level down a bit while digesting. Eating high sugar foods gives me a temporary boost, but then low energy afterwards. Some people feel better when they reduce their carb intake. It's quite individual though, it's worth experimenting to see if what you are eating influences your energy level.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree that seeing a doctor and getting bloodwork done is a good idea. If nothing else it will give you a snapshot of your current health stats to compare and see progress.

I was very sedentary a year ago. I have a desk job, and after work I pretty much sat on the couch. I remember needing to sit down when other people could continue standing. 10 months later I’m someone who not only looks forward to my intentional exercise, I’m someone who fidgets when I’m sitting.

For me the key was finding something to keep me motivated to make changes long enough to form habits. Testing pre-diabetic gave me the motivation to replace full sugar soda with carbonated water and unsweetened coffee or tea. I found a walking challenge that kept me chipping away at a big goal while receiving rewards for frequent milestones. I used MFP goal settings to keep me motivated to hit my calorie, protein, and fiber goals. I meal planned a week at a time and only bought groceries for the planned meals and snacks. I logged my progress every Monday, looking for progress in areas other than weight. I reminded myself over and over that doing this perfectly was not a requirement and that each “failure” was an opportunity to learn. I gave myself permission to stop push myself to do things that weren’t sustainable and try something different that would achieve the same goal.

There are still days when I don’t do the best things. There are still days that I spend a lot of time on the couch after a day at my computer. There are still days when I eat in ways that don’t support my health goals. But I can honestly say that I look forward to getting back to “normal” on those days because I know how good my new normal feels.

You can do this too. Please see a doctor so they can help you remove any biological barriers that will trip you up and make the journey unnecessarily difficult, but don’t be afraid to start making small changes today. Pick one or two that feel achievable for the next two weeks (I’d suggest honestly logging all your food intake and adding 10 minutes of walking to your day) and see how it goes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    Start with a doctors visit and a thorough exam and bloodwork.

I was you. I constantly complained to my doctor of fatigue, joint pain. I was so tired all the time.

She always replies “lose weight” and gave me a flyer for weight loss.

It wasn’t til I was literally sick and tired of being sick and tired that a flame lit and I decided to lose weight, with exercise being a part of that process.

I started with walking (THE best, cheapest and most accessible of all exercises) and upped the difficult and frequency of my yoga.

As I went from obese to normal BMI, it was like energy just flooded back.

You’ll gain more energy with weight loss, I promise, but you have to start.

Like you, I didn’t think I could start, but I just made the decision. More of this as my future or try something new?

Agree depression may be an issue. I hit bottom after leaving a family business I’d been in for 30+ years. . Depression, anxiety, the pain when family stopped speaking to me, even guilt I was somehow responsible for the implosion I’d predicted drove me to eat my weight in chocolate, cookies, cake, pie, ice cream every day. It was hard to get out of bed. Often, the only reason I did was because I knew I had a pantry full of treats I “deserved”.

I’ve learned since then than more than one doughnut or a pile of cookies causes a horrible physical and mental crash, the same as the utter exhaustion I was complaining to the doc about. I know now that feeding the beast more sugar doesn’t help.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I second getting blood work done. Then study the blood work..what's high, what's low....what sort of foods help correct these issues. When you eat for your blood work your energy will likely go up. But speaking to a doctor would be a really good start for you. Also, stay hydrated...with water, not soda or tea or coffee or energy drinks or juice....water.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    njlow63 wrote: »
    My energy has been low for as long as I remember, and sometimes it's hard to stay out of bed all day. I've heard losing weight can really help with energy levels - but then I find it so hard to actually get up and do something about it. Is there something I could be doing or eating to help with this? (To clarify - mental block is obviously a part of this, but I'm really looking for some kind of energy boost)

I agree with the others to see a doctor. There could be many factors, and I will focus on a few of them:

1. Depression. I take the anti-depressant Wellbutrin, which is a tiny bit speedy, which helps motivate me to move. I've taken at least a dozen other kinds of anti-depressants and this is the only one with that benefit for me.
    2. Medical issues such as anemia. I had crippling fatigue when I was anemic. LMK if this could be an issue for you, for example, if you are a women with very heavy menstrual cycles, and I'll say more.
    3. Motivation. If I waited for the circumstances to be "right" to be active, I'd rarely be active. But since I've created habits, I now feel twitchy if it's the usual time I walk or do yoga and I'm not doing it. For example, it's getting close to yoga time and I'm feeling antsy. This might be beneficial: https://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
    4. Experiment with Food. Limit the foods that bog you down and focus on the ways of eating that energize you. For some people that's keto, other's it's vegan. I like a more balanced set of macros, and to go easy on foods like baked goods. I don't get a sugar rush; I get a sugar crash. (By "sugar" I'm referring to foods like birthday cake and ice cream, or fruit juice. I'm fine with high sugar whole fruit. YMMV.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Start with a doctors visit and a thorough exam and bloodwork.

I was you. I constantly complained to my doctor of fatigue, joint pain. I was so tired all the time.

She always replies “lose weight” and gave me a flyer for weight loss.

It wasn’t til I was literally sick and tired of being sick and tired that a flame lit and I decided to lose weight, with exercise being a part of that process.

I started with walking (THE best, cheapest and most accessible of all exercises) and upped the difficult and frequency of my yoga.

As I went from obese to normal BMI, it was like energy just flooded back.

You’ll gain more energy with weight loss, I promise, but you have to start.

Like you, I didn’t think I could start, but I just made the decision. More of this as my future or try something new?

Agree depression may be an issue. I hit bottom after leaving a family business I’d been in for 30+ years. . Depression, anxiety, the pain when family stopped speaking to me, even guilt I was somehow responsible for the implosion I’d predicted drove me to eat my weight in chocolate, cookies, cake, pie, ice cream every day. It was hard to get out of bed. Often, the only reason I did was because I knew I had a pantry full of treats I “deserved”.

I’ve learned since then than more than one doughnut or a pile of cookies causes a horrible physical and mental crash, the same as the utter exhaustion I was complaining to the doc about. I know now that feeding the beast more sugar doesn’t help.

@springlering62 so sorry to hear this! How far behind you is it? It's still raw for me, but it's been less than a year since I got out of a bad family situation. Yeah, they all blame me. >.<

I had worried that I would start self-medicating with alcohol again once I was clear but instead my chemical sensitivities/environmental intolerances, which had been in remission for 10+ years, came roaring back :disappointed:
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above.
    Also, I had fibro and chronic fatigue. Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum specializes in these and has written several books. He saved me when local Dr.s did nothing.
    He suggested to get a cheap pedometer or a watch that counts steps. Go about your normal life but write down your steps at the end of the day. Average steps for a week or 10 days. Walk at least that number of steps every day next week. Add a few steps the next week. It worked for me.
    I also think improving your diet improves your mood and energy. What's your favorite vegetable? Make sure to put it on your grocery list. If it's already in the house, you'll be more likely to eat it.
    You can't change everything instantly, but you can change your mindset from "all or nothing" to "better than yesterday ".